Skip to main content
Topic: The long long road (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
The long long road
Yahoo Message Number: 89182
We are west bound on I10, Atlantic to Pacific, seeing the concrete USA at 33 cents per mile. [Gas was 2.73 in Louisiana today, Yippee!]

Strong winds southerly winds today made driving on the elevated sections of I10 across the "swamp" both challenging and tiring.

Four states down, four to go. We enter the Great State of Texas tomorrow morning. Is there a short cut? A worm hole?

We have enjoyed meeting several Lazy Dazer's on the trip so far.

If you see a brown MB west bound on I10, wave, it might be us.

Home is where you roam Don & Dorothy, new to the cult Koko & Pelli

Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: The long long road
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 89188
We are west bound on I10, Atlantic to Pacific, seeing the concrete USA at 33 cents per mile. [snip]> Four states down, four to go. We
enter the Great State of Texas

tomorrow morning. Is there a short cut? A worm hole?
Don and Dorothy,

Seriously, if you have the time to take a detour, don't take I-10 through Houston!  It is a mess. If you have the time, you can leave I- 10 at Beaumont, at exit 853 A. You'll head north on Rt.69 (toward Lufkin).  Go just a short distance on Rt.69 and look for the Rt.105 west exit.  Go west on 105 through the east TX piney woods through the early oil town of Sour Lake, and the unlovely town of Cleveland, toward Conroe.  Look for the Rt 336 North bypass that will take you around Conroe and re-connect with Rt 105 on the west side.  Continue west along the south end of Lake Conroe, through the historic town of Montgomery, through Navasota, where Rt 105 starts to head southwest and passes near Washington-on-the-Brazos, the site where Texans declared their independence from Mexico and wrote their constitution.  Follow it to Brenham, where you can either pick up US 290 west to Austin or take Rt.109 south to I-10, at Columbus.
 If you feel you must take 1-10 through Houston, best wishes, and let us know how it goes.

Safe travels,

Sharon N.

Currently in Livingston, TX

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 89189
.....leave I- 10 at Beaumont, at exit 853 A. You'll head north on Rt.69 (toward Lufkin).  Go just a short distance on Rt.69 and look for the Rt.105 west exit......

Safe travels, Sharon N. Currently in Livingston, TX
Sharon - Route 105 is Excellent & lovely easy drive - We came that way when coming back from Florida in December in Starr & the highway is great -
 Do hope Don and Dorothy heed your advise and avoid Houston traffic - is  not easy feat in a car, much less in a LD and with construction.
 Good Luck Don and Dorothy - keep us posted as to your travels - Just think by the time you get through Texas you'll almost be a Texan ;o)

Virginia Central TEXAS Starr & Midnight Roadie http://travelingstarr.blogspot.com/

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 89192
Sharon...excellent. Any similar guidance for negotiating the interstate around Dallas and Fort Worth?---KC Johnson

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 89193
Sharon, This sounds like a plan to us. While I will still be seeking a worm hole to escape most of Texas, your route is appealing. I think we will stay on US290 and miss San Antonio also! Many Texas "backroads" are better than most other states prime roads.

PS, Texas is fine, I went to UT for one year, we explored some west Texas places last fall, did Big Bend last spring, etc.

Yippee, No Houston for us today.

Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 89198
I've always wished for a worm hole across Texas too.  I'd be happy with one that just jumped over West Texas, that is an endless nothing.

-- Jonna in Tortuga, 2001 Teal RB 'Tortuga' Find us MAPhttp://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=1013> Follow the BLOG herehttp://www.baddog.com/blog/blog.html>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 89201
Sharon...excellent. Any similar guidance for negotiating the interstate around Dallas and Fort Worth?---KC Johnson In
LOL!  No, Anne, no help from me...Perhaps someone from that area will come up with some tips.

Sharon N.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 89202
>

Thank goodness!  I was a bit worried about you today, thinking you should have headed through about 4am, which is the only time I'd try I-10 through Houston in an RV (and then you have to worry about debris on the road).

Hey!  Virginia and I are going to be at Artesian CG in Brenham tomorrow night and Thursday night if you are around then.  That might be just right timing for you.  It is just west of Brenham on Hwy 290, so you will be going right by it.  It's Passport America and the phone is 979-836-0680.  We'd love to see you!  Plus, we can show you Blue Bell ice cream (101 years old), Antique Rose Emporium, Ellison's Greenhouse, the Minature Horse Farm, and give you entire travel directions along your route.  Free offer!  :)

Jonna, we heard that about the Great State of Texas, but because we love you so much we're going to let it pass.  :)

Tessa

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 89203
I've always wished for a worm hole across Texas too.  I'd be happy
with one

that just jumped over West Texas, that is an endless nothing.
A worm hole could work, but I'm waiting for teleportation.  Just keep telling yourself, "It's the journey, not the destination...It's the journey, not the destination..." ;^)

Sharon N.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 89211
We did Sharon! Many thanks for the alternate route. Our actual arrival time was only 45 minutes later than the GPS predicted time through Houston. And I have no idea what hold ups we might have encountered in Houston. The drive was relaxing. Texas 105 from Beaumont is rural two lane. US290 is four lane. The only hold up we had was some traffic through Conroe.
 I am familiar with US290 west of Austin, so we will take it until we junction with I10 at Junction.

Again thanks, and those who are crossing Texas on I10, you should consider the 105/290 route. But keep it an FOLD secret.

Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Re: The long long road / By-pass I-10 through Houston
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 89213
I just added the directions to by-pass I-10 through Houston, TX, to the Database of campground, roads, etc.  It directs you to message #89188.

Sharon N.