Skip to main content
Topic: LED replacement bulbs (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
LED replacement bulbs
Yahoo Message Number: 89161
Just returned from Quartzite where they were selling LED bulbs that replace the incandescent bulbs in RVs. The price was $30. I was told they could be purchased on the Internet for less. This seems to be true. However, I know nothing about these bulbs. I assume that I need the bayonet style for the kitchen, bathroom, front entry and overhead bed lights. I have seen them advertised for all prices in all configurations. How many forward and side LEDs are needed to give equalvalent light? They come in single and dual contact. What's the difference, and which do I need? Could anyone recommend a particular bulb, or give me a link to a purchaser? Any and all help appreciated. Thanks Beverly 07 23 1/2' TK Boondocked like a charm w/2 solar panels all January in Q

Re: LED replacement bulbs
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 89195
"I have bought many of superbrightleds 24 and 36 LED boards that fit in the bayonet bulb sockets and almost all of them have had about half or more of the individual LEDs have either burned out or flash annoyingly."

I also bought several of their 36-LED boards. While I didn't experience the burnout problems Terry saw, I did notice that they ran rather hot, which could contribute to premature failure.
 And the amount of light generated was very disappointing. I had hoped to replace the 12V bulbs in my factory-installed incandescent ceiling fixtures, but these LED arrays were nowhere near bright enough. Even when I wired two arrays side by side, they were far less bright than the incandescent bulb they were meant to replace... not to mention that the icy blue-white color of their light made me shiver.

This is not to say that SuperBrightLEDs' other products may not be good, but proceed with caution... and stay away from the 36-LED 12V-compatible arrays.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 89200
"I have bought many of superbrightleds 24 and 36 LED boards that fit in the bayonet bulb sockets and almost all of them have had about half or more of the individual LEDs have either burned out or flash annoyingly.
 I too have had the same results with bayonet-based LEDs from Superbright.
There are superbright because they drive the LEDs are driven at too high a current which leads to early failure. I have had much better luck making my own LED arrays using LED Xmas light and then rewiring them for 12-volts.
http://tinyurl.com/2a3mum>
 The LED string along the side of the awning has hundreds of hours of run-time without the failure of any LED.
While LEDs have their place, I will be mostly sticking with halogen and fluorescents for the time being. With the energy problem continuing, many new high efficiency lighting solutions will become available over the next few years.
While I may not live long enough to see propane-powered RV fuel cells, I do expect to see better lighting.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 89207
There is an interesting thread on rv.net:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20592440/srt/pa/

pging/1.cfm about LEDs. This guy did some extensive research and experimentation.

Jerry in Simi Valley 2000 30IB
Found these Sensibulb LED replacement bulbs while looking through the NavStor for boating gear. Appear to be very efficient with low heat.
Expensive though.

NavStor.com  go to Electrical, Lighting, LED's, Sensibulb

Sorry for not being able to provide a direct link.

Smitty  (watching the snow pile up outside Chicago)

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 89208
There is an interesting thread on rv.net:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20592440/srt/pa/

pging/1.cfm about LEDs. This guy did some extensive research and experimentation.

Jerry in Simi Valley 2000 30IB
There is a more in depth review of the Sensibulb LED's by going to Sailorssolutions.com  (Sensibulb) and scrolling down to the WoodenBoat review from September 2006.

Smitty

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 89209
What about the LED bulbs Superbright offers to replace the bulbs for brake and tail light application?  If they work, seems like an easier and less expensive alternative to replacing the entire assembly.
Anybody done this yet?

H. T. Pohlman

NE 26
2003 MB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 89215
OK, lighting experts, what should I look for as a "mood" light. ie when talking with another couple in the rear lounge [MB] any of the factory lights are much too bright. Or when watching TV, just enough light to find the remote clicker.

I am not looking to replace any lights, but add one that has a few more lumens than a candle.

Candidates?

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 89220
"OK, lighting experts, what should I look for as a "mood" light. ie when talking with another couple in the rear lounge [MB] any of the factory lights are much too bright. Or when watching TV, just enough light to find the remote clicker.

I am not looking to replace any lights, but add one that has a few more lumens than a candle.

Candidates?"

Cheers, Don
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 89222
LOL Chris, Lava lamps, not exactly what I had in mind, but ya know I think I will get one anyway. You can not have too many lights can you??? And romance too you say. Wowee! I may get two.

What I want would be 12v so I can tap into existing wires in the raceway and have a somewhat lower profile than a lava lamp. If this has not been done before, then it could be the next must have FOLD thingie.

Coming to you tonight from Carmine, Texas.

Don On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 00:22:47 -0000, "Chris Horst" chorst_2000@...> wrote these inspiring words:
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy