Skip to main content
Topic: Generator Stopped Running (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Generator Stopped Running
Yahoo Message Number: 89132
I thought I would exercise my Genset, on my 2002 LD, this afternoon since it hasn't been run in 4 months, yea I know.  The engine gas gauge read a tad above 1/4 of a tank so I went and put 7 more gallons in the tank.  The genset started and then 3-5 minutes later I turned on the AC to put it under a load.  A few more minutes passed and the genset started surging like lack of fuel, just my opinion, and then shut off.  I remembered I had a 110v timer plugged in to run 1-2 hours daily for charging battery.  I unplugged the 110V, even though it wasn't in one of its charging cycles.  After waiting awhile, I then restarted the genset and after 3-5 minutes I again turned the AC on.  Genset ran for 35-45 minutes, I periodically checked to see if it was running and the last time was 35 minutes after it started.  I checked on it again at 45 minutes and it had stopped.  The fuel gauge still showed over a 1/4 tank  To add to this problem the LPG detector came on and wouldn't go off,I pulled the fuse.  There had been no vents, windows or doors open so that any fumes could get to the detector, and the strangest of all the propane at the tank was shut off and has been for 3-4 months.  I replaced a detector 2-3 years ago.  I haven't checked the fault light, on genset, to see what they say might be the problem, never had much luck with fault codes.

Any thought on what might be causing this problem(s)?

John K.

Re: Generator Stopped Running
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 89135
I thought I would exercise my Genset, on my 2002 LD, this afternoon since it hasn't been run in 4 months, yea I know. ....snip John K.
John,

On my 2002MB I've found that my guage must read above what I'd call 5/16 for my genset to run reliably.  I'd put some more fuel in to see if that is part of the problem. Since your not running it often it might also be wise to add a gasoline stabilizer like StaBil to ensure the fuel quality.  I am forever gumming up my small engine equipment (lawn mower, snowblower, ect if I don't stabilize the gas and run them dry according to the season.  When I'm not using my MH frequently I add stabilizer and fill the tank to try to ward off water condensation. (When I flew dinky planes they always had up top off the tanks at the end of a flight because just sitting out in the open apparently if air is in the tank moisture forms). After adding stabilizer I run the gen long enough to get that gas into that engine.

Can't help you on the detector.

Don Howe Long Island
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Generator Stopped Running
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 89140
I thought I would exercise my Genset, on my 2002 LD, this afternoon since it hasn't been run in 4 months,....snip> John K.
John,

Now that it is daytime my brain is functioning better.
 I had been having genset problems for awhile in 2005. In July, while at the Oshkosh Airshow it quit altogether. Since I needed 110 to microwave my meals I bought a Honda 1000 portable for backup.  On the way home I stopped at the Cummings/Onan dealer in Toledo. They replaced the fuel pump and filter on the unit (since it is behind it I didn't know that they were even there.  I had about 150 hours on the unit at the time. I've had no problem since and I'm about 225 hours.

Don Howe 2002 MB Long Island
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy