Skip to main content
Topic: water softeners (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
water softeners
Yahoo Message Number: 88961
A week or so ago there were comments about salt based water softeners.
At Quartzsite the other day saw a portable water softener that is connected to the hose filling the motorhome. Called "WaterKing" it induces an electro-magnetic signal thru the water that separates the magnesium from the calcium, thereby softening the water. As the softened water sits in the tank the elements find each other again and slowly harden the water.

Sounds like black magic to me. Anybody tried one of these things? Mike

Re: water softeners
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 88964
"Called 'WaterKing' it induces an electro-magnetic signal thru the water that separates the magnesium from the calcium... Sounds like black magic to me."

Since neither magnesium nor calcium is affected in any way by magnetism, "snake oil" might be a better description. ;-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 88966
...snip... it induces an electro-magnetic signal thru the water that separates the magnesium from the calcium, thereby softening the water.
...snip...

There is a local company here that sells similar systems to home owners.  One of my co-workers in conjunction with a local TV station did a  test demonstrating that this is as Andy said "snake oil."

Save your money.

Dave N 2000 RB Albuquerque
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 88968
snip....> There is a local company here that sells similar systems to home owners.  One of my co-workers in conjunction with a local TV station did a  test demonstrating that this is as Andy said "snake oil."
There is that saying that if a salesman is good he/she can sell anything to anybody.
 Years back I would occassionally teach safety classes to seniors. One of the greatest hazards to their checkbooks was telephone solicitors.
Since most seniors wanted to be well mannered to callers, they didn't want to terminate unsolicited calls and the longer a salesman can keep you on the line the better their chance of getting your money. it was very hard to convince them to just hang up. People naturally want to believe the best of other human beings and that trust is taken advantage of by many.

Don Howe
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 88971
Guys, I should have included the website:
www.waterkingusa.com.  By the way I don't buy anything without a lot of research, and a lot of testamonials.
Mike

Mike,
If my remarks sound like a critism of anything you said I apologize because it wasn't meant to be. It was more my rambling about the state of advertising.  I watch a lot of TV and cannot believe some of the things that are able to be successfully sold. I think that groups like ours are good places to bring up questionable products where their worthiness can be debated.

I've acquired a tremendous amount of useful info from this site. An example is my Kill-a-watt meter which has become a favorite tool that I would never have known about had it not been for this group.

Regards,

Don Howe
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy