Skip to main content
Topic: Propane heater in an RK (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Propane heater in an RK
Yahoo Message Number: 88919
Hi; I  have an RK too, 2006 vintage, and will also be mounting a portable heater (although not an Olympian).  I have an appt for attachment later this week if the technician does not get sick...I hope to mount it on the rear wall underneath the rear window.  There will be enough room for the undersink door to open and propane attachments will come from the stove and thru the undersink compartment.  There seem to be wood studs on that rear wall but I do need to open the spare tire compartment to make certain we do not puncture that tire.
 I prefer a permanent mount and really cannot find another location.  The side door entrance was considered but that space is not very wide and could make entry and exit a contortion exercise.  The heater would also have to be mounted high and the wall is very slim with one of the closets on the other side of that slim wall.
 I purchased a Kozy World as it comes with a thermostat and has the same safety features as the Olympian.  When cooking the rear kitchen area gets warmish and the heater will not be needed.  However, chief usage will be when we are sitting up front on our sofas or in bed on the sofas.  This Kozy World is big and I hope the heat will permeate up front.

Any other suggestions or things to be aware of?

Thanks, Mike
2007 RK

Re: Propane heater in an RK
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 88925
In our 2000 RK, I mounted our Olympian low on the wall that is on your left as you enter the coach. The lounge area is where we need the heat and propane is available under the fridge.  Yes, the wall is thin, but I removed the drawers and glued a piece of 1/2" thick wood behind the wall to accept mounting screws.  On the 2000, at least, the wall is set back about 3 inches from the stairwell, just enough that we don't bump the heater going in or out.
 I used a rubber propane supply hose and left enough slack that I could put a hinge mount on the side of the heater closest to the center of the coach, to angle the heat somewhat, but haven't done so yet.

Anyway, this is what works for us.  As usual, ymmv  /noel/

Any other suggestions or things to be aware of?