Skip to main content
Topic: Roof / Luggage Rack (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Roof / Luggage Rack
Yahoo Message Number: 88778
Has anyone noticed that the rack has disappeared within the last few years with just the ladder remaining?? Did anyone ever use the rack??

Re: Roof / Luggage Rack
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 88780
"Did anyone ever use the rack?"
 I tried, but found that I could only tie down two out of four sides of the LaFuma chair I was trying to stow up there, so it was very insecure. To make matters worse, the rack's smooth curves encourage tie-downs to slide around instead of staying put. I came very close to losing that chair!
 The only real use I've found for the rack is as a mounting place for antennas.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 88786
"Did anyone ever use the rack?"

I'm intensely uncomfortable around ladders.  I take a death-grip on the rack when mount and dismount the ladder.  Particularly when I swab the upper deck and it's slippery.

That rack is my friend and I'd miss it.

John

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 88803
I used it once to tie some long aluminum tubes on. The tubes were too long to get into the motorhome comfortably (they may have fit through the cab doors, but I doubt it). The luggage rack may not be used often, but I'd rather have it than not.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 88805
I agree with bumper because, like John, I use it to hang on for dear life going up *and* down!

Lorna

2003 RB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 88853
Has anyone noticed that the rack has disappeared within the last few years with just the ladder remaining?? Did anyone ever use the rack??
My wife and I were on the OUTS, had a big fight, she tied me up there in a chair, then drove down the freeway at 60 MPH, she said I needed to cool off.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 88854
My wife and I were on the OUTS, had a big fight, she tied me up there in a chair, then drove down the freeway at 60 MPH, she said I needed to cool off.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 88942
I asked Steve LD Factory) a few weeks ago about the reasons they removed the luggage rack on newer models.  He mentioned that it improved fuel efficiency having one less item on the roof.
 Personally, I do use it as a backup for a canoe/kayak rack along with a PVC pipe across the front.  I talked with one person who has used this arrangement for 10 years with no problems.  I also talked with an LD owner at the FMCA Convention a few weeks ago in Indio, CA who built a special rack (out of aluminum) for holding a storage box on top.  He successfully circumnavigated South America with it and his 26.5 ' LD.  David

bumperm bumperm@...> wrote: I used it once to tie some long aluminum tubes on. The tubes were too long to get into the motorhome comfortably (they may have fit through the cab doors, but I doubt it). The luggage rack may not be used often, but I'd rather have it than not.

bumper

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 88952
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 8:14 PM
 Subject: Re: [LD] Roof / Luggage Rack

"I asked Steve LD Factory) a few weeks ago about the reasons they removed the luggage rack on newer models. He mentioned that it improved fuel efficiency having one less item on the roof."

Hmmmm, is Steve running for President?

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer