Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing Fiamma Awning Dual Shock Absorber (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing Fiamma Awning Dual Shock Absorber
Yahoo Message Number: 88760
Recently when closing the Fiamma awning on our 2002 RB I heard an abnormal loud "pop." On close scrutiny I discovered that the right side "Dual Shock Absorber" had cracked and split open. The "Dual Shock Absorber" is the last part of the folding arm where it fastens to the coach. Very easy to locate with its bright orange and white label. My first impression was that, if I were to try replace it myself, I would need to support the right side of the awning while removing the arm from the coach. Maybe if I were at home - rather than now being 'on the road'- I might build a scaffold support system, but with my current circumstances, it seemed to be a better idea to locate someone with the proper equipment and expertise to replace this part. Since there was nothing addressing or identifying this part in the awning manual, I sought out "RV professionals" - who turned out not to be familiar with the topic - but were glad to quote me their hourly rate.
The local A&E / Horizon / Fiamma representative did give me something of value, when he suggested that I go to WWW.Fiammausa.com. ( after first measuring my awning from cap to cap - as I would need this information to calculate feet to meters - which would help lead me to the correct parts page. ) ( The measuring is actually not necessary as the awnings length is already printed in meters on the arm near the coach body. ) With this information he said I should be able to identify the part number from the web site and bring it back to him and he would "special order" it on a "prepaid - non returnable" basis.
His labor to install would be somewhere between $75-$100.
On the web site I finally found what I thought to be the part, but it was only labeled as a number - not the name "Dual Shock Absorber".
In searching through the Fiamma site I found a very valuable item - their telephone number   ( 407 672-0091 )  In talking to a very helpful employee, ( Bob ? ) he was able to confirm that the part number was almost what I needed. I had mistakenly thought that the broken piece was part of a larger, one piece, section and that the whole unit would need replacing. Where in fact there are two separate pieces and I was replacing only the upper one.  ( item code 03396-01A )  He also pointed out that the "Dual Shock Absorber" came in a right and left version - which the parts chart did not show ! He went on to explain how the installation was quite simple and did not require awning support nor disconnecting of the awning arm.   All this help for free - but the cost of the unit was a staggering: $4.95! :) My installation time was under five minutes.

Bill Atkins

"Merlot"

02 RB

Jojoba Hills SKP Park

Rainy Southern California

Photos can be seen at:    http://tinyurl.com/268pbv

or
 http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/lifewithalazydazerv/photos/browse/2a85?c=