Skip to main content
Topic: Help! Need advice on 1995 LD verus 1988 with new engine and new uph (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
Help! Need advice on 1995 LD verus 1988 with new engine and new uph
Yahoo Message Number: 88713
Hello everyone.

Sony here.  Been looking at LD's up and down the west coast for the past 4 months, first in Washington (you know the one...in puyallap), some in Los Angeles and now some in the SF Bay Area.
 I scanned through many of the messages through 2002 reading people's posting about old verus new LD's, age versus budget and comments about rebuild engines.  I really appreciate everyone's time writing responses which provide such invaluable information.

Two great ones are for sale up here and i need some help and advice (and maybe even a second set of eyes).
 Some of you may be aware of the 1988, multiplan for sale in San Jose which has a new motor built (old one lived through 81,000 miles), new upholstery, and alot of other upgrades.  I haven't seen the RV yet (no vehicle to get down to there, yet) but it sounds and looks beautiful.
The motor was rebuilt in 2001 by a mechanic near South Lake Tahoe.
(i will be driving it back up to WA state).
 Now the other RV from 1995 is also in great condition (the interior is in great but not excellent condition), no generator but two solar panels from 1995).  selling for a little more than twice as much as the 1988.

What does one do?  I feel pretty comfortable with the mechanical condition of the 1995 (the owners never used the microwave or the oven) but like the all the upgrades and the price of the 1988.
 Anyone in SF willing to take a look at both of them with me?  I would love to get a real-time opinion and advice on both these rigs.

thanks so much again!

ox, sony

Re: Help! Need advice on 1995 LD verus 1988 with new engine and new
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 88727
Hi Sony,

When I read your email a red flag went up with (the owners never used the microwave or the oven) When we bought our 82 we were told the same thing "the owner never used the stove, refrigerator, or toilet"

None of them worked. I was able to fix them but if someone said they never used them. Translate that to mean they may not work.

We live

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 88728
Sony, I definitely agree with Michelle- try EVERYTHING on the rig.
If the seller is opening the awning and setting it up or opening the valve on the tanks to show you how to dump, then you might not realize that the awning arm is broken and the tank valve requires the leverage of your foot in order to close it.

Also, you too might be shocked at what some people consider "good condition" and the amount of needed repairs that they will not share in a forthright manner.

You can add a generator for around $3000, but you might not want to do so given the weight added to the rig.  It depends on where you're traveling and why you want one.  Solar panels might give you all the power you really need.

Also, I'd be sure to get a mechanic to look at the rig before final purchase to determine if the suspension looks tight, if all the belts & hoses need replacing ($1000), if the tires need replacing ($1200), etc.  Check the mechanical records.  Make sure all the systems work well.

Finally, you have to look at the price difference.  Does one cost $10,000 and the other $20,000?  Or is the difference between them more like $20,000?  That will tell you how much wiggle room you have for fixing up the older rig.  And of course, you have to figure your comfort level with the final price.

I can tell you that I'd rather buy a well-loved older rig than an abused newer rig, but given the choice, newer is generally less expensive to own over your ownership time.  Definitely don't go for the abused older rig unless you want to make it your hobby.  :)
 Good luck and try not to drive yourself crazy with all your options.
Consider each individual rigs and evaluate carefully.

Please keep us posted, Tessa in TX '92 MB - Ciao Baby!

Re: Help! Need advice on 1995 LD versus 1988
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 88729
"When we bought our '82 we were told the same thing: 'the owner never used the stove, refrigerator, or toilet.' None of them worked."

Michelle makes a very good point. When equipment has "never been used," or hasn't been used in years, there's a good chance it may not work. That doesn't mean it can't be fixed, but repairs do cost money.

The other drawback to the 1995 rig is its lack of a generator.
Depending on your lifestyle, that can be a major drawback. Again, it can be remedied, but it isn't cheap to add a generator to a Lazy Daze that never had one. Tessa can tell you what hers cost and how much work was involved.

On the other hand, with the 1988 rig you'll want to inspect VERY carefully for water leaks. Twenty years is a long time.
 A big question about both rigs is what chassis they were built on. You need to ask about this if you haven't already, because there are a number of possibilities, and they make quite a difference in how desirable the rig is.
 According to our reference table, "LD models over the years," in 1988 the factory was building 22' rigs on Chevy G30 chassis with carbureted V8 engines, AND 23.5' rigs on Ford chassis with either 355 c.i or 460 c.i. engines, both with throttle body injection. That's three different possibilities, and I've listed then in order of preference: the carbureted Chevy is the least desirable, and the 460 c.i. Ford with throttle body injection is the most desirable.
 In 1995 the factory was still building 22' rigs on Chevy chassis, but there was now a choice of engines (the 350 c.i. or a more powerful 454 c.i.) ...PLUS 23.5' rigs on Ford chassis with a choice of the aforementioned 355 c.i. and 460 c.i. engines.

However, by 1995 all the engines were fuel-injected, which is very much preferable to 1988's carburetion or throttle body injection. Fuel injection generally means better performance in a wide range of conditions and (especially) altitudes, and tends to give better fuel economy as well.
 Another factor to consider: the Ford chassis in both 1988 and 1995 had 1,000 pounds more carrying capacity than the Chevys. That's half a ton more of your stuff that the Fords can tote--a major advantage.

I know this is just making your decision more complicated. ;-) But you'll want to sort out the possibilities before deciding, so you'll know exactly what you're getting. For that matter, you may want to pass up both rigs and just keep looking for something better.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 88733
When we bought our 82 we were told the same thing "the owner never used the stove, refrigerator, or toilet"

Other than the fact that they might not work, I've heard this type of thing before, and I always wonder why in the world would anyone buy an RV if they aren't going to use the facilities provided?  Might as well travel in a car and motel-it.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Re: unused appliances
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 88736
"I always wonder why in the world would anyone buy an RV if they aren't going to use the facilities provided? Might as well travel in a car and motel-it."
 Or you could travel in a high-end 40' motorhome and motel-it, as CBS "On The Road" correspondent Charles Kuralt did. Quoting from Roger White's history of RVs, "Home on the Road":

"Kuralt did not actually sleep or cook in the motorhome. After it became obvious that several grown men could not keep house in such a small place, the reporter and his staff decided to spend the nights in motels and eat in restaurants."

We're talking about big, deluxe motorhomes here--the best bus conversions that CBS could buy. Rigs almost twice the size of our Lazy Dazes... yet "several grown men" were unable to keep house in one! "Several big babies" is more like it, I'd say. ;-)

Andy Baird

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 88740
wrote: "Or you could travel in a high-end 40' motorhome and motel-it, as CBS "On The Road" correspondent Charles Kuralt did" --- Interesting; I don't think "high-end 40' motorhomes" existed when Charles Kuralt started his "on the road" adventures in 1967.  I don't know what he and his crew were driving then; I *think* that it was a converted "bus" that CBS cobbled together, but I don't know how big it was.  The thing did break down a lot, and Larry and Izzy, his on-the- road crew, had to frequently fix it. They went to a GMC motorhome after these came out in 1973; these were only made in 23' and 26' lengths.
Kuralt's last rig was a 1975 FMC (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/wheels/otr.htm); I don't know how long it is, but I don't think that it's anywhere near 40'. Whatever he and his crew drove, the provided fascinating glimpses into American lives.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 88741
The answer is easy, Charles Kuralt and his companions could not master the .6 gallon of water shower and still live together, plus Charles had a long time girl friend on the side.

Charles

Re: Charles Kuralt
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 88752
wrote: "Or you could travel in a high-end 40' motorhome and motel-it, as CBS "On The Road" correspondent Charles Kuralt did" ---
"Interesting; I don't think "high-end 40' motorhomes" existed when Charles Kuralt started his "on the road" adventures in 1967.  I don't know what he and his crew were driving then; I *think* that it was a converted "bus" that CBS cobbled together, but I don't know how big it was.  The thing did break down a lot, and Larry and Izzy, his on- the-road crew, had to frequently fix it. They went to a GMC motorhome after these came out in 1973; these were only made in 23' and 26' lengths. Kuralt's last rig was a 1975 FMC (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/wheels/otr.htm); I don't know how long it is, but I don't think that it's anywhere near 40'. Whatever he and his crew drove, the provided fascinating glimpses into American lives."

Joan
Just think, Mr. Kuralt could have used that bigger motorhome to haul around his "secret family".
http://www.salon.com/people/feature/1999/06/08/kuralt/

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 88783
The 1988 doesn't have a generator either. For me that's an absolute deal breaker and no I don't want a portable gen. like a Honda. Keep looking. You will always wish you had a generator if you buy one without one. That's why all new LD's come with one.

Steve

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 88785
Depends on how you will use the RV. We've had an '87 without a generator for six years now and have never wished we had a generator. In fact, we're glad we don't have one! We use our LD 6 months out of a year and now it is sitting in our backyard all wrapped up with an ADCO cover. When we are camping sometimes we have hookups and often not. But then we are mostly camping in the Northwest where a/c isn't often needed so I guess a generator could help run a/c if no hookups were available. But not having one means we learn to do without, don't miss it and don't have to remember to run it monthly. All depends on your camping style and location in the USA.

Marti in Seattle

The 1988 doesn't have a generator either. For me that's an absolute deal breaker and no I don't want a portable gen. like a Honda. Keep looking. You will always wish you had a generator if you buy one without one. That's why all new LD's come with one.

Steve

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Marti
2011 Blue MB
Seattle

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 88787
"Marti V."  wrote:

Depends on how you will use the RV.
I agree. We have both generator and solar. I have to crawl under Tumbleweed to loosen cover, so I can get inside and run generator once a month in winter (laying in Colorado snow). I think we have used it only once or twice. OTOH, I would NOT be without solar. We boondock and pavement camp as much as we can, and it is a joy to use all the power we want, freely, knowing that the sun will recharge us the next day. Course, if we lived in an area with less sun, I might feel otherwise. So, it all goes back to how YOU, no one else, will use YOUR RV.

Lee
2000 TK
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 88788
hi marti, i will be taking the RV back to Seattle(!) and plan on full-timing (discretely while

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 88792
"any advice from full-timers on the to gen or not to gen? any other advice in general? I too am getting anxious to buy one!!!!"

sony

We are not full timers but the wife and I have owned two LDs for a total of 14 years.
The first, a 1983 22' Fl, did not have a generator. It did have one solar panel that handle most of our limited needs in the summer. There were times in which we wished we had a generator, particularly on hot, summer trips. Being able to charge the batteries during winter trips would have been a plus. For a full timer, this is a real consideration since solar will probably not supply you with enough electrical power during the winter months when the days are short and sun is low in the sky.
Another reason why we wanted a generator was because we live in earthquake country and need a dependable source of emergency power.
We always keep our LD stocked and ready to go because we never know when Mother Nature will throw something big at us. The LD is our escape/survival vehicle.
Our 2003 LD came with a generator and while it does not have a lot of hours on it, it has come in handy in the heat of the summer and for battery charging in the winter.
I would not think about buying another MH without a generator. YMMV

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 88793
any advice from full-timers on the to gen or not to gen? any other advice in general?

If you really want THIS rig, but it doesn't have a generator, you can always get one of the small portable inverter generators made by Honda or Yamaha.
True, a portable wouldn't be as convenient as just pushing a button as you would on a built-in one, but it's certainly do-able.  The Yamaha 2400's are advertised as being able to run a 13K A/C.
 Whether or not YOU need a generator will depend a great deal on what type of camping you do and which area of the country you do it in.  You don't say what size those Kyocera panels are and I don't know what type of solar controller it has in it, but if you camp in areas of the country where you don't really need A/C all that often, you may find you don't need a generator.
 However, if you think a built-in generator would be an important feature for YOU, perhaps you should wait for the right rig to come around...don't be so anxious to buy one just to have one that you end up buying the wrong one.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 88795
"If you really want THIS rig, but it doesn't have a generator, you can always get one of the small portable inverter generators made by Honda or Yamaha."

Portables are fine if you can keep the thieves away. Andy's had his brand new Honda 2000 stolen right out from under him and it was chained to his LD's bumper!

The other problem with a portable is where do you carry it? Most exterior storage compartments are too small to hold a portable generator.

The worse thing you can do is get antsy and buy the wrong rig. We looked for over six months before we found our 1983 LD and we live in SoCal, the home location of most LDs.
Be patient!!!

Larry
Larry

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 88796
You CAN add a new generator to an older rig.  I did.  I had a Onan 4000 MicroQuiet added to my 1992 Mid-Bath last June (2007).  A steel rack had to be built, fuel line tapped into, remote start added, etc, but it was all said and done for around $3000.

Since we live in very hot TX and travel with people and dogs in the back, we had to have a generator for running the coach A/C during travel.  Worrying over the generator is indeed a real pain (exercising it monthly).

Solar is fantastic!  I too would not want to live without solar panels.
 I agree with Larry W that unless you must buy a rig within a certain timeframe, be patient.
 Perhaps something in the middle of the two rigs that you are studying might serve you better (price & option wise).

Spend time figuring out what you really want.

Hope that helps, Tessa in TX '92 MB- Ciao Baby!

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 88797
Hi Sony, Coming from a fulltimer, I personally couldn't do without a generator....as mentioned, to stay cool in the Summer wherever you happen to be, to charge batteries in the Winter.

That said, have you looked into Pat Macias' 2003 rig?  It may have been temporarily removed from this forum's "for sale" list, but I know it hasn't been sold.  It's a 23.5 FL in excellent condition, very low mileage and has both solar and a generator.  It was priced according to the guidelines here, but I don't recall the exact figure.  Sorry!

Pat lives in Northern California and can be contacted at:  Good luck with your search.

Lorna Los Angeles
2003 RB

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 88798
Sony, I just bought a 1998 mid bath with a gen. I wouldn't be without a generator because I do a lot of boondocking/dry camping. I originally had a large Lance truck camper with a built in Onan that ran off LP. It worked great and I never had any trouble with it, but it really used a lot of propane. If you figure your propane cost, when boondocking you are spending almost as much as renting a full hookup. I then decided full timing was for me and bought a fifth wheel for more room. I bought two of the Honda 2000s and a parallel kit. The whole setup cost $2012. They run very quiet and on the eco setting each gen will run all day or all night on only 1 gal of gas each. They only weigh about 60 lbs each so they can be set up and taken down relatively easily. That being said, it is still a hassle.
You have to have some place to carry them and the gasoline. The instruction manual tells you not to run them in the rain.I spend a lot of time on the East Coast and that means rain. The onan runs off gasoline from the RV tank so it is pretty efortless to use. I'm 70, so efortless in my holy grail. No matter how much research you do, IMHO you will never know what is best until you experience it.

Robbie & Happy the Dog

Re: Help! Need advice on 1995 LD
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 88799
"any advice from full-timers on the to gen or not to gen?"
 Larry summed up the pros and cons fairly well. Like Larry, I've done it both ways. My first rig, a 1985 22' twin/king, had no generator, but did have heavily beefed-up solar/battery/inverter systems. I managed with that for four years of vacation travel and a year of fulltiming. I felt very virtuous doing everything with solar power. ;-)

For vacationing it was OK, except for the lack of air conditioning (see below). For fulltiming, it was not so good. In the winter, when the days were short, even several hundred watts of solar panels didn't provide enough power, and I found myself running the engine for an hour or more each day to try to build up a halfway decent charge in my house batteries. This was inefficient, bad for the engine, and just plain annoying.
 In the summer there was plenty of solar power, but no air conditioner.
In July of 2006 I was in Wyoming when it hit well over 100 degrees every day for more than a week. I would not have survived (nor would my cat!) if I hadn't been able to spend large chunks of time with my friends Kate & Terry, who ran their generator 24/7 in order to keep their air conditioner running and keep the temperature bearable.

After that I bought my present rig, a 2003 midbath. It has heavily upgraded solar/battery/inverter systems comparable to my first rig's, but nevertheless I use the generator quite a bit year round. The only time I don't is right now: I stay plugged in in the coldest months.
But in good weather I like to boondock, and the generator makes it practical.

So... if you stay exclusively in moderate temperatures (or seek electrical hookups when it gets too hot or too cold), and your electrical needs are small (which I cheerfully admit mine are not), you might get by without a generator. Personally, I'd love to be able to do everything with solar power, which is why my 22' rig ended up with eight (!) solar panels and four house batteries, and my current rig has five larger panels and four batteries.

But in the end I agree with Larry: having tried it both ways, I'll never buy another rig without a generator.

Andy Baird

"If you really want THIS rig, but it doesn't have a generator, you c
Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 88800
"If you really want THIS rig, but it doesn't have a generator, you can always get one of the small portable inverter generators made by Honda or Yamaha. True, a portable wouldn't be as convenient as just pushing a button as you would on a built-in one, but it's certainly do-able."

My experience has been that portable gensets are not well suited to use in small motorhomes. I've owned both 1,000W and a 2,000W portable Honda generators, both excellent gensets--arguably the best in their class. Unfortunately, the 1,000W generator was far too small to run the air conditioner. On the other hand, it was small enough to make it very easy for a thief to cut the locking cable and walk off with it. :-(

Even the 2,000W model would have been marginal for running the air conditioner, but that wasn't the problem. It weighed over 60 pounds and was quite bulky. There simply was no place to carry it in a 22' motorhome. It wouldn't fit in any of the outside compartments (heck, even the 1,000W generator wouldn't fit!), and there certainly was no extra space indoors to stash several cubic feet of machinery.

If your rig is a large fifth wheel with cavernous basement storage bays, a portable generator is a possibility. (You probably don't have a choice in that case, since very few trailers come with gensets built in.) But in a small motorhome, a portable generator is a white elephant--there just isn't any place to put it. And if you leave it outside, you may wake up to find it gone.

I do agree with the important point Linda made at the end of her message: "Perhaps you should wait for the right rig to come around...don't be so anxious to buy one just to have one that you end up buying the wrong one." I know it's tough, but be patient and don't jump at something that doesn't really meet your needs. This is the time of year when most rigs come on the market, so there will be plenty more opportunities.

Andy Baird

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 88801
What does one do?  I feel pretty comfortable with the mechanical condition of the 1995 (the owners never used the microwave or the oven) but like the all the upgrades and the price of the 1988.
Sony, having owned our carbureted '83 with two solar panels and no generator for 16 years now, I can say I would not hesitate if the choice of our next one were between a carb or fuel injection. I would pick FI over generator without a second thought - all else being equal. It's a pain to add a generator if you decide you need one, but nothing compared to the hassle of upgrading the chassis powertrain.
 The switch to FI was only a year or two after '88, so if you wait, one might hit the market closer to the price range of that model than the '95.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 88802
The switch to FI was only a year or two after '88, so if you wait, one might hit the market closer to the price range of that model than the '95.

Steve
 Excellent point. I will never own another vehicle with a carburetor.
I do most of my own mechanical work and have rebuilt way too many carbs. Fuel injection is so much more reliable, not to mention that is burns so much cleaner and usually provides better gas mileage.
It sure is better for the environment when combined with a catalytic converter and computer controls.

Another important date for GM chassis LDs is 1991, when the 4L80E automatic transmission was introduced. It was a major improvement over the inferior 4-speed transmission that Chevy used for a few years before.

Larry
Larry

Re: "If you really want THIS rig, but it doesn't have a generator, y
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 88809
I do agree with the important point Linda made at the end of her message: "Perhaps you should wait for the right rig to come around...don't be so anxious to buy one just to have one that you end up buying the wrong one." I know it's tough, but be patient and don't jump at something that doesn't really meet your needs. This is the time of year when most rigs come on the market, so there will be plenty more opportunities.

I'm going to 3rd or 4th this recommendation.  Thanks to Andy's (and others) inputs, we passed a while ago on a wonderful Lazy Daze that did not have a generator.  We too investigated many alternatives of portables and retrofits.  In the end, it seemed like too much uncertainty of what would be workable.
 Having passed, we kept an eye open for both used and new motor homes.  And yes, I'll admit, we were even serious considering another brand beside Lazy Daze (say it isn't so!) But then one morning, right after the new year, we saw a posting for a used rig that based on all of our research we knew would be right for us.  We made the purchase, that day, sight unseen.
 Indeed, it is still sight unseen -- we will see it in early March, and pick it up in CA in early April.  We feel very fortunate to have waited.

Steve and Carol Crisp Gonnabees -- "Thistle Dew Too" 2000 Blue 26.5 MB
Steven & Carol Crisp -- 2000 26.5' Blue Mid-Bath named Thistle Dew Too
Our RV Motto:  "No place to be ... and all day to get there"
2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...

Re: "If you really want THIS rig, but it doesn't have a generator, y
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 88811
If your rig is a large fifth wheel with cavernous basement storage bays, a portable generator is a possibility. (You probably don't have a choice in that case, since very few trailers come with gensets built in.)

Many fifth wheels have a generator as an option.  We could have had a generator put into our fiver if we'd wanted.  We didn't, though, because 1) they wanted way too much money for a built-in genny; 2) it would have added too much weight to the front of the rig (thus increasing it's pin weight); and 3) it would have been a propane generator which are notoriously inefficient.
 So, instead, we bought 2 Honda 2000s with the parallel kit (which cost us, total, less than $2,000, about half what it would have cost to have a built-in generator put in).  We have them bolted to the bed of the truck, so it would be difficult for anyone to walk away with them...not that it would be impossible, but it would take a thief quite some time to undo everything (and when we're unhooked, we have a tonneau cover on the truck so no one can see what's in the bed).

Linda Hylton