Skip to main content
Topic: 19" LCD HDTV installation (Read 13 times) previous topic - next topic
19" LCD HDTV installation
Yahoo Message Number: 88687
Along with a lot of other LD owners, we were not happy with the TV set in our LD. It was an old 9"color TV that we bought a couple of days after the Northridge earthquake.
A little measuring showed that a 19" wide-screen set would fit in the same space.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157602104742545/>
 After looking for a while it became obvious that few 19" LCD sets are made in 12-volt versions. I liked the Jensen 19" LCD set but the lowest priced I could find was $540 + shipping. The Jensen set consumes 60 watts of power, somewhat high compared to other sets.
http://www.emarinesupplies.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1313
http://tinyurl.com/yopd2z>
 Wandering through Costco a few weeks ago, I found a Sharp 19" LCD that has a small footprint: 18" wide, 12" high and 2" thick. Its rated power use is 45 watts @120 VAC.
It has lowest wattage of the sets I looked at.
http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,1935,00.html>

I also wanted to get a DVD player with a HDMI output to take full advantage of an HDTV. Once again, the 12-volt choices were slim.
After a little more research, I gave up and went the Sharp LCD TV, along with a Toshiba DVD player (which uses 11 watts).
Costco sell a very well built articulating arm wall mount made by Peerless, which replaced the swing mount used on the old TV. It is a little more expensive than the more common models sold at the home centers since it is much beefier, being designed for larger sets (19-40"). With the way things shake on washboard roads (Chaco Canyon for example), over-built is a good thing.
http://tinyurl.com/ywnopa>

New 19" LDC HDTV Installed
http://tinyurl.com/22cwmd>

I reused a Cambridge Sound Systems powered computer speaker system that I had bought on Andy's recommendation many years ago. It has four small speakers and a subwoofer.
Originally only two speakers were used, now there is one in each corner, mounted under the overhead cabinets, for a total of four.  The subwoofer fits behind the forward barrel chair, in the lounge.
We were surprised how well the new system works. My wife told me that it looks and sounds much better than our home system.  Even nicer is how loud it can be inside without much noise being heard outside.
Perfect for action movies.
The DVD player can be used alone for playing CDs or MP3s. It sounds much better than the LD supplied speakers. Now I need to find a way to connect the XM receiver to it without having to buy another dash mount kit. Hummmm, 25' RCA cables would work.
Back to Fry's.

I had been concerned about using 120-VAC components, not wanting to use any more battery power than what's necessary. I was pleased when I finally got a chance to measure the power consumption.
With a 400-watt Xantrex inverter supplying power, the system (TV on, with the DVD playing a disc and the speakers at a moderate level) uses
4.9-5.2 amps (heavy bass notes draw a lot of power).
 That's 60 watts, the same as the Jensen 19" set alone. Goes to show you that specifying 12-volts only is not necessarily the best solution. Now if I had been looking for a 15" LCD set, 12-volt would be the logical choice.

Believe me, making this decision took some time. I have advocated 12-volt appliance for years as being a better choice than 120 VAC but as electronic equipment becomes larger and consumes more power, the manufacturers seem to be making fewer 12-volt models.
With the cost of copper, 120-VAC's ability to use smaller wiring is a major reason.
 BTW, the Winegard antenna works great for digital reception. Digital signals, from distant stations, come in clearer than their analog signals. It's amazing how many channels are now broadcast over-the-air. Too bad its mostly junk.
 The speaker's amplifier had a bad ground loop hum that was solved with an isolator from Radio Shack.
http://tinyurl.com/2dlp4f>

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: 19" LCD HDTV installation - crosstalk...
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 88708
The speaker's amplifier had a bad ground loop hum that was solved with an isolator from Radio Shack.
http://tinyurl.com/2dlp4f>

Larry
Larry, I found the isolator eliminated the hum in our installation, but at the expense of a noticeable increase in crosstalk between channels, due to magnetic coupling inside the isolator package. My inelegant - but successful - solution was to use a separate isolator for each channel. That worked just fine.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: 19" LCD HDTV installation - crosstalk...
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 88710
"I found the isolator eliminated the hum in our installation, outside? but at the expense of a noticeable increase in crosstalk between channels, due to magnetic coupling inside the isolator package. My inelegant - but successful - solution was to use a separate isolator for each channel. That worked just fine."

Steve

When the hum problem started, the first thing I thought of was your posting about using an isolator. I guess either found a better isolator or have a different cause of the hum since a single isolator was all that was needed.
Right now, I'm running wire from the dash mounted XM receiver to the amplifier switcher in the rear. I may need to add another isolator.
I wonder how many feet (miles) of wire have been added to our LD.

Larry Hey, what's this wet stuff coming down outside?
Larry

Re: 19" LCD HDTV installation
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 88767
Along with a lot of other LD owners, we were not happy with the TV set in our LD. Wandering through Costco a few weeks ago, I found a Sharp 19" LCD that has a small footprint I also wanted to get a DVD player with a HDMI output to take full advantage of an HDTV. Once again, the 12-volt choices were slim.
Now if I had been looking for a 15" LCD set, 12-volt would be the logical choice.
Larry, congrats on another first rate installation; you da man!
 I particularly like how you have provided part and model numbers for the items you used.
 IF you had decided to use a 15" DC TV, do you have a model you would have used?
 Thanks again for keeping us informed of all the projects that you've done to "finish your LD at home".;-)

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 88794
"IF you had decided to use a 15" DC TV, do you have a model you would have used?"

Steve K

Sorry, I do not have a suggestion. We eliminated 15" LCD TVs after seeing how small they looked
Larry

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 88821
"IF you had decided to use a 15" DC TV, do you have a model you would have used?"

Steve K I originally posted this yesterday morning but Yahoo ate it so here it is again.

I do not have any recommendation for you since, after seeing a couple of 23.5' FLs with 15" sets, we decided that a 15' LCD TV was too small.
When looking at 15" sets, check for a power brick at the plug. Most, if not all sets with a power brick are 12-volt.
 Check Ted H.'s site. He installed a 12-volt Polaroid, model # FLM-1512 LCD TV in his 23.5' FL.
http://72.209.45.38:443/toad/index.asp?page=LD/lcdtv.htm >

Larry
Larry

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 88863
I do not have any recommendation for you since, after seeing a couple of 23.5' FLs with 15" sets, we decided that a 15' LCD TV was too small.  When looking at 15" sets, check for a power brick at the plug.
Most, if not all sets with a power brick are 12-volt.
 Check Ted H.'s site. He installed a 12-volt Polaroid, model # FLM-1512 LCD TV in his 23.5' FL.
Larry
Thanks for the info Larry. I had looked at Ted's installation last year. As for the TVs with power bricks, I haven't had luck finding them lately. On Friday, I checked out TVs in several stores. The electrical cords that I could see, all appeared to be conventional power cords. I may make a trip to a West Marine store next week to see what they have available. My last trip to Costco looking for a set with a power brick came up empty too.

Thanks again, Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 88864
"My last trip to Costco looking for a set with a power brick came up empty too."

Steve K

I have never seen a 15" LCD TV at a Costco store.
I do recall seeing one or two at Target, Wal-Mart or Circuit City.
Your best chance of finding one is to search the net for "12-volt LDC TV" and then check the manufacturer's site to confirm operating voltage. There are fewer and fewer 12-volt sets.
 As a follow up, I have been running the new TV, along with the DVD and powered speakers daily for several hours, using the inverter to make sure that there are no problems. So far, so good.

Now if I could only master our home TiVo machine.

Larry
Larry

Re: Watching TV
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 88877
"With all this talk of TVs, I want to know what folks are finding to WATCH? ;-)"

The Food Channel!  I love cooking shows and find ots of new goodies to cook in the rig on the Food Channel.  Also, Turner Classic Movies, the History Channel, Discovery Channel, and the like.  We also watch our own  DVDs and sometimes go to the local library and get DVDs.
Right now we're on a British comedy kick.

Kate
 http://cholulared.blogspot.com &

http://www.cholulared.com

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: 19" LCD HDTV installation, PHOTOS
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 88896
I just posted 3 photos of our Sharp 19" TV/DVD installation in the photos section in the album "2003 23.5FL TV installation" by "richanb".  Our Elsie is a 2004 FD, but almost identical (FL=lounge chairs, FD=dinette)

Judy G.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 88897
With all this talk of TVs, I want to know what folks are finding to WATCH? ;-)

Joan
We finally broke down and bought a Dish TV receiver this week to use with the Winegard Automatic RV Digital Antenna we had LD install when we bought our '02. Until now we've used the bat-wing antenna or cable in RV parks that have it.

Now that we have satellite TV, we're watching the History Channel, PBS, The Weather Channel ("old people's MTV"),Jon Stewart on the Comedy Channel, and for me, HGTV.    Great picture...not much content.
 The first thing I did after figuring out how to operate the receiver was to set up a "favorites list" of channels.  It's a pretty short list, and FOX TV is not on it. ;^)

I doubt that we'll change out the original Panasonic TV unless it dies.  The bad news for Bob is that he no longer gets reception on his 9" screen TV in the bedroom. It is a TV/DVD, so if he gets bored he can watch DVDs.

Sharon N.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 88931
snip

I doubt that we'll change out the original Panasonic TV unless it dies.  The bad news for Bob is that he no longer gets reception on his 9" screen TV in the bedroom. It is a TV/DVD, so if he gets bored he can watch DVDs.

Sharon N.
Sharon: you should be able to rebroadcast on channel 3 or 4 or perhaps any channel whatever is on the satellite.  At home I use channel 61.  I don't know your setup but you should be able to use the 9" TV, it will just be on the same station that the satellite receiver is set to.
Jack in Reno

Re: Rebroadcasting on 2nd TV from Satellite TV
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 88935
  snip
"I doubt that we'll change out the original Panasonic TV unless it dies.  The bad news for Bob is that he no longer gets reception on his 9" screen TV in the bedroom. It is a TV/DVD, so if he gets bored he can watch DVDs."

Sharon N.
"Sharon: you should be able to rebroadcast on channel 3 or 4 or perhaps any channel whatever is on the satellite.  At home I use channel 61.  I don't know your setup but you should be able to use the 9" TV, it will just be on the same station that the satellite receiver is set to."

Jack in Reno
 Sharon, let us know if that works.  I have the same set up as you do with Dish TV.

Jack, did you just channel surf to see where the station came in?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 88940
snip> >

"Sharon: you should be able to rebroadcast on channel 3 or 4 or perhaps any channel whatever is on the satellite.  At home I use channel 61.  I don't know your setup but you should be able to use the 9" TV, it will just be on the same station that the satellite receiver is set to."

Jack in Reno

Sharon, let us know if that works.  I have the same set up as you do with Dish TV.

Chris
You should have a "chan 3/4" switch on the back of the receiver so you select one or the other and also connect the "TV channel 3/4 output" to your internal cable run.  Then tune the 9" TV to the selected channel.   Jack in Reno

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 88945
snip> > "Sharon: you should be able to rebroadcast on channel 3 or 4 or perhaps any channel whatever is on the satellite.  At home I use channel 61.  I don't know your setup but you should be able to use the 9" TV, it will just be on the same station that the satellite receiver is set to."

Jack in Reno

Chris

You should have a "chan 3/4" switch on the back of the receiver so you select one or the other and also connect the "TV channel 3/4 output" to your internal cable run.  Then tune the 9" TV to the selected channel.  Jack in Reno
Thanks, Jack.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 88950
Sharon: you should be able to rebroadcast on channel 3 or 4 or perhaps any channel whatever is on the satellite.  At home I use channel 61.
I don't know your setup but you should be able to use the 9" TV, it will just be on the same station that the satellite receiver is set to.
Jack in Reno
Thanks for the tip, Jack. I just tried it on ours without luck, but will fiddle with it tomorrow.  In our case, though, the reason we have a second, smaller TV in the bedroom, is because Bob doesn't WANT to watch what I'm watching! ;^)

Sharon N.

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 88951
You might try contacting your satellite provider about changing your receiver to a "two-room" model. This is one box with two remotes -- one remote selects what "TV 1" sees, the other controls to signal to "TV 2".
Typically remote 1 uses infrared so you need aim it at the receiver box.  Remote 2 uses radio waves, so it can "talk to" the receiver box from another room.  These 2 room receivers seem to be the minimum now for home installations, with many homes intalling 4-room receivers! Hope this helps--we've still only got one analog TV

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 88977
Quote from: Kate Klein

Right now we're on a British comedy kick.
 Kate:  if you can find them (we watched ours via Netflix DVD's) try the Ballykissangel series.  Irish humor.  You know -- pubs and priests! -Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 88978
I'll look for it.  We've been watching the Vicar of Dibley (hilarious), As Time Goes By, Only Fools and Horses and Are You Being Served?

Fortunately, the library here

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 88993
I'll look for it.  We've been watching the Vicar of Dibley (hilarious), As Time Goes By, Only Fools and Horses and Are You Being Served?
Kate,
 Are You Being Served is probably my all-time favorite British comedy.
The characters are marvelous.  It is hilarious.  Enjoy!

Roz, the W