Skip to main content
Topic: 30' LD vs 26' LD (Read 16 times) previous topic - next topic
30' LD vs 26' LD
Yahoo Message Number: 88645
We are interested in buying a used 30' LD.  However we notice the 26' LD is very popular.  Can someone give me some info on the 26" LD.  Is it hard getting up and down the latter to the  bed above the cab. We are both retired.  We notice the TV is always on one side or the other.  Does this cause a problem for the person sitting on the same side of the TV to see it.  Is there more storage in the 30' inside or outside.  Do the models from 2002 and up have satelite connection.  Are most hot water tanks 10 gal for 2002 and up.

Hope to be a LD owner

Jim & Pam Illinois

Re: 30' LD vs 26' LD
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 88647
At 08:55 AM 1/21/2008, you wrote:

We are interested in buying a used 30' LD. However we notice the 26' LD is very popular. Can someone give me some info on the 26" LD. Is it hard getting up and down the latter to the bed above the cab. We are both retired. We notice the TV is always on one side or the other. Does this cause a problem for the person sitting on the same side of the TV to see it.
Jim, we have a 26' RK (rear kitchen) with an entertainment center that replaces the over-cab bed. The TV is centered in that installation, so it's equally visible from both couches. It takes us about five minutes to pull the couches out from the side walls and make up two twin beds with an aisle down the middle. Others prefer to pull the beds completely together, to make one oversized king bed and no aisle.
 The absolute best way to be sure you'll be happy in a specific model is to spend some time trying each one out. A visit to the factory is the best way, of course, but most LD owners are proud of their rigs and happy to let you take a tour.

The factory website will answer a lot of your questions about water heater size, TV location, etc. If you don't already know the address, it's

www dot lazydaze dot com

When you get there, check out the features and specifications page, as well as the floor plans. Have fun!

Sonsie

Sonsie Conroy
2001 26.5 RK
Central CA

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 88650
Jim and Pam, as Sonsie mentioned, the factory's website will answer many of your questions.
 Lazy Daze makes three different 27' floorplans for 2008 (26.5' in 2007 and previous years), and each one appeals to a different customer, so the best way to choose a Lazy Daze is to visit the factory and spend time in each layout. (Don't worry, no salesmen will pressure you--they don't work that way.) If you place an order within 30 days of your trip, they offer a $250 rebate to offset your travel expenses.

The second best way to get to know the pros and cons of the various floorplans and lengths is to attend a get-together of a regional LD group in your area. Owners are almost always happy to welcome "wannabes" into their rigs for a tour.

If you're looking for information on used models (which can be very good values), you'll find in this website's Files >    Lazy Daze Information folder a document called "LD models over the years" that lists changes by model year. Also, in the Files > Buying & Selling folder you'll find a great deal of helpful information on shopping for a used LD.
 "Is it hard getting up and down the [ladder] to the bed above the cab."
 Some of us sleep in the "upstairs bedroom" every night, others prefer not to. This is very much an individual preference, and it's something you need to try out for yourself.
 "We notice the TV is always on one side or the other. Does this cause a problem for the person sitting on the same side of the TV to see it."
 It's not the best way to watch TV... but again, this is something that you can best decide by sitting in a rig. Of course, with the 26.5'/27' Rear Kitchen and Rear Bath models you have the option of an overcab entertainment center with centrally mounted TV, as Sonsie mentioned... but then you can't sleep up there.

The entertainment center is not an option on the most popular (and some say most versatile) 26.5'/27' model, the Midbath, for the simple reason that with that floorplan, there would only be one place to sit and watch a TV mounted over the cab: the smaller dinette seat.

"Is there more storage in the 30' inside or outside."

There's more storage room both inside and outside in the 30.5'/31' models than in the 26.5'/27' models, if that's what you mean. As to the exact amounts inside vs. outside, I don't know anyone who has tabulated the cubic volumes for the 30.5'/31' models.
 I have posted detailed measurements of storage space in the 26.5'/27' midbath; you can find them by searching these messages. In general, Lazy Dazes have more storage and make more efficient use of available space than most comparably-sized motorhomes. And of course, many of us have found ways to increase storage still further. For example, see this website for a variety of good storage tips:

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie/improv.htm>

"Do the models from 2002 and up have satellite connection."
 A TV satellite dish antenna--either manually operated or automatic--is an option on all models, and has been for quite a few years. An amplified Winegard crank-up "batwing" TV antenna is standard on all models. I believe that an exterior cable-TV connector has been standard for some time, but you should verify that with the factory.

"Are most hot water tanks 10 gal for 2002 and up."

All water heaters are 6 gallons; that's the only size Lazy Daze has ever used. Most of us find that it's possible to shower and wash one's hair with 1-3 gallons of water, so the size isn't a problem. See message #87996 for some tips on efficient showering.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 88655
I believe that an exterior cable-TV connector has been standard for some time, but you should verify that with the factory.

Our 2004 TK came standard with the exterior cable TV hookup.  The only thing that *doesn't* come standard is an exterior satellite TV hookup...for those cases where people might have a tripod-mounted satellite TV dish.
 When we ordered our TK, this exterior satellite TV hookup was something we had the factory install even though we ordered the crank-up Winegard satellite TV dish.  Even though the factory couldn't understand *why* we'd want an exterior satellite TV hookup when we had a roof-mounted satellite TV dish, we insisted that they install the hookup.  It sure came in handy the summer we spent camp hosting at a small BLM campground in northern CA, because we were parked in the trees and had to use our portable system to find a hole in the trees!  If we'd relied only on our roof-mounted system, we would have spent the entire summer without TV (not an option for me! -)  ).

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 88657
We have a 2003 26.5 Rear Bath model and are very happy with it.  We went to the factory with the idea of another floor plan, but really liked the open feeling of the Rear Bath.  We are 57 and 60 and have no trouble getting up into the cabover bed.  We can also make the one couch into a very comfortable "almost queen size", which we have used.  And, we can make the dinette into a bed, which we have used for grandchildren.

You are right that the TV is on one side, which happens to be on the couch side.  We solved the problem of the couch person not being able to see it by putting a new flat screen with a pull out, rotating bracket.  Problem solved.

We have plenty of storage, and the 26.5 is easier to manuever and park.  I have heard that on the 30' you have to be careful with your load weight so tires have to be more inflated.  This is only what we have heard from a 30' owner.  I don't know where you live , but we live in AZ and will be traveling in NM, and TX in the next couple of months, if you would like to see ours.  There is also a SW get together in mid Feb where there will be 30 LD all all different sizes and floor plans.

Good luck.

John and Linda Prescott, AZ

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 88661
Jim and Pam I have a 2005 26.5' Midbath. I don't sleep in the cabover. I don't like the low ceiling. The twin couches in the back convert into a king size bed.
Our TV is in the back. Both of us have to sit on the passenger side couch to view the TV. It can't be viewed from the driver side couch.
Our hot water heater is 6 gallons. I believe all LD's have the same capacity.
Stan

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 88665
We are interested in buying a used 30' LD.  However we notice the 26' LD is very popular.  Can someone give me some info on the 26" LD.
I know we have some very loyal 30IB fans in here, but the 26 MB has two separated living areas. In the IB model the bed is always a bed. LD does offer a twin bed 30 footer, which would seem to make better use of the space, but it is never displayed in the showroom and I have not seen one.

Is it hard getting up and down the latter to the  bed above the cab. We are both retired.
In the MB, most folks sleep in the back, I know we do when there are two of us in the vehicle.  If I am alone, I use the cabover, but using the ladder is a pain.  I usually just step up on the dinette seat and the seat back to climb up, shoeless of course.  There is plenty of room up there for two, but it would be challenge for the forward person to climb out over the top of a sleeping bedmate.  (neither my wife nor I are retired... but sure want to be )

We notice the TV is always on one side or the other.  Does this cause a problem for the person sitting on the same side of the TV to see it.
It is on the drivers side in the MB. My wife says there is no problem seeing the TV. I prefer to sit on the opposite side.

Do the models from 2002 and up have satelite connection.  Are most hot water tanks 10 gal for 2002 and up.
Satellite is optional (we do not have one). Water heater is 6 gallons on all models.

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis  (not that far away)