Skip to main content
Topic: Adding a game table? (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Adding a game table?
Yahoo Message Number: 88597
Can the pedestal game table for the 26MB be installed after production? I read that Andy Baird had added dining table brackets to the aft wall of Gertie. I thought that was a really good idea. I'm curious to know what the best option is for adding a table between the rear sofas. Thanks.

Re: Adding a game table?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 88600
"I read that Andy Baird had added dining table brackets to the aft wall of Gertie."
 Well, not exactly. Gertie's dinette table was mounted to the rear wall in 1985 by the factory, using the same articulated bracket system they've been using for decades for tables that can be dropped about a foot to form part of a bed. My 2003 midbath has the same brackets on its dinette table.
 In both cases, I found the tables too high for my typing comfort when using a computer, so I remounted the tables several inches lower. In Skylark I used the original hardware and just relocated it a few inches lower on the wall. But in Gertie, since I had no intention of ever using that table as part of a bed, I mounted it to the wall with big shiny solid brass hinges. :-)

But getting back to your original question:
 "Can the pedestal game table for the 26MB be installed after production?"

I think it would be very difficult to do it the way LD does it when building a rig. The pedestal goes into a cup-shaped metal receptacle in the middle of the floor, which is filled with a wood-and-carpet plug when the table's not in use. Because the table and its pedestal comprise a long lever arm, the cup is heavily reinforced to withstand the sidewards forces to which it can be subjected.
 In addition to obtaining the hardware, you'd have to cut a large hole in your floor and brace the cup somehow. And when you got done, you wouldn't have a very good table. As many here have commented, the pedestal table is wobbly; it's also heavy and bulky when stored. In fact, I gave mine away.

Other alternatives:

1. Install a pedestal table using a standard mounting flange screwed  to the floor. At least that way it won't wobble. Drawback: when the  table isn't in use, the flange will be there to stub your toes on.
 (That, of course, is why LD didn't do it this way.)  
2. Hinge a tabletop to the rear wall. Drawback: when not in use, the  table must pivot upward, where it blocks the middle of the rear  window's view. (You could make it drop down instead, but then you'd be  limited to a 30" long table--probably not big enough to be worth the  trouble, since it would only be usable by a person sitting on the far  end of the couch.)  
3. Buy a lightweight portable folding table.

I'd go for #3. Simple, inexpensive and requires no modifications to the rig. Moreover, you can carry that table outside and use it there as well. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"