Skip to main content
Topic: CB cable (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
CB cable
Yahoo Message Number: 88466
Hi crew...

Our CB cable has departed from the base of the antenna. I took the antenna off and cleaned it up and now I'm ready to reinstall it. The cable looks like coax with an internal wire, plastic shielding and a braided outer wire. There was just an old eyelet connection hanging on the base of the antenna. How do I reattach a new eyelet connection to the cable? Do I just clamp it around the entire wire? Do I need a special type connector?

Thanks...
Chuck M 97RB Skye Des Moines

Re: CB cable
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 88468
Chuck,
 The center conductor of the coaxial cable has to connect to the bottom of the antenna. The "braid" or outer shield portion of the cable has to connect to "ground" or the metal of the roof (vent frame etc).
 Normally, one would connect a ring terminal (eye) connector to the center and also to the braid. If one were soldering this connector to the braid, it is important to use a heat-sink (hemostats work well) to keep the soldering heat from conducting back into the cable and melting the dielectric (insulation).
 LD does a somewhat cheesy job on their CB antenna install. At least on my coach, they don't leave enough coax slack to allow for the antenna being bonked down flat. They also insulate the bottom with lots of the polyurethane caulk.

bumper Yonder Minden NV
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer