Skip to main content
Topic: Mac ext. wifi antenna & ? re awning sun shade.. (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Mac ext. wifi antenna & ? re awning sun shade..
Yahoo Message Number: 88394
Hi Hawking Technology makes a great external antenna for Mac. It was recommended to me by the Bentsen Palm Village RV Resort in Mission TX & lent to me. It works wonders & I have ordered one..Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter.
 Any recommendations out there for an awning sun shade to attach to the awning for a 26' MB?

thanks, Pat

Re: Mac ext. wifi antenna & ? re awning sun shade..
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 88396
It works wonders & I have ordered one..Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter.

Pat

What model did you order? All of the Hawking USB antennas that I have seen are for inside use only and are not weather proof. This is fine if you plan on using it inside of your LD.
Based on my experimentation, it makes a BIG difference if you can get the antenna outside and on top of your MH, the higher, the better.
The aluminum skin of the LD significantly reduces (attenuates) the strength of the WiFi signal.

Keep us posted.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Mac ext. wifi antenna
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 88400
"All of the Hawking USB antennas that I have seen are for inside use only and are not weather proof."

I can think of a couple of ways to deal with this.

1. Wrap the Wi-Fi antenna/dongle and the first few inches of its  attached USB cord with Rescue Tape, which fuses to itself to form a  solid rubber mass.

2. Get a can of vinyl "tool dip"--the stuff used to put a resilient
 coating on tool handles, sold at most large hardware stores--and dip the dongle and last few inches of cord repeatedly, until you build up a nice thick vinyl layer.

By the way, if you're going to buy a USB Wi-Fi dongle, you might as well get one that supports the new 802.11n standard as well as the older "b" and "g" standards. While few campgrounds are likely to have "n"-compatible Wi-Fi right now, "n"-type equipment will replace "g" over the next couple of years just as "g" replaced "b," so you might as well be ready for it.

Newer Technology will ship a USB Wi-Fi b/g/n dongle that is fully Mac-compatible on January 25th. Here's the link:

http://www.newertech.com/products/usb.php>

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Mac ext. wifi antenna
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 88401
I meant to say in my last post that Wi-Fi "n" is highly desirable because it offers up to twice the range of older "b" and "g" Wi-Fi standards. Those who've tried to take advantage of wireless internet in campgrounds are aware that in most cases, only a few campsites are actually close enough to the wireless access point that you can get an adequate signal. The result can be considerable frustration, as you discover that the internet connection you thought you were getting isn't usable. But once 802.11n equipment is in widespread use, that situation should improve considerably. It's another reason to get "n" now. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Mac ext. wifi antenna & ? re awning sun shade..
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 88411
Larry, it's the little dish shaped one & yes, it's only internal. I wouldn't know how to mount one on the exterior! Pat