Skip to main content
Topic: Fulltiming without a toad? (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Fulltiming without a toad?
Yahoo Message Number: 88314
I was wondering how you fulltimers, or most-of-the-timers, who don't travel with a towed vehicle, and stay in one place for weeks at a time manage shopping and laundry. Do you break camp every few days to do shopping, dump holding tanks, etc.? Do you rent a car while camped for three weeks or a month's stay?
 When we occasionally travel without our toad, we do our shopping before arriving where we plan to park, but we've never stayed more than three days in one spot without a car to get around.  For us, breaking camp just to go to the library, post office or go food shopping isn't in the cards.

Sharon N.

Re: Fulltiming without a toad?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 88318
Sharon

We did this for about 6 months, but found it just wasn't practical for us.  We have also found that the freedom the tracker (a 1998 chevy tracker, our toad) gives us is unbelievable.  We will go out to the store or do laundry and find ourselves just wandering around and discovering all kinds of things we had never sought out.
 Before the tracker, we would go do errands, etc, but just weren't as adventurous.  Of course, YMMV, but for us, having a toad is essential.

Kate
 http://cholulared.blogspot.com &

http://www.cholulared.com

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 88326
"I was wondering how you fulltimers, or most-of-the-timers, who don't travel with a towed vehicle, and stay in one place for weeks at a time manage shopping and laundry. Do you break camp every few days to do shopping, dump holding tanks, etc.?"

I can only speak for myself. I carry enough clothing and food to go for at least two weeks in any weather. The tanks in my midbath (fresh: 58 gallons, gray: 35 gal., black: 28 gal.) last two weeks also. For a couple, of course, that would be cut in half unless you used campground showers and bathrooms to stretch your time. (I never do, but that's just a personal preference.)
 When changing campgrounds, I dump and fill my tanks before leaving the campground; then I do laundry, grocery shopping and other errands in whatever town is along my route. I arrive with a full tank of water, empty holding tanks, clean clothes and plenty of supplies, ready to stay for another two weeks. :-)
 I won't dispute the advantages of a toad, especially for exploring the local area. I simply can't afford one, and find that I manage well enough (given my sedentary lifestyle) without one.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 88335
I was wondering how you fulltimers, or most-of-the-timers, who don't travel with a towed vehicle, and stay in one place for weeks at a time manage shopping and laundry.
I installed a rack on the back of my 23.5 FL to haul a small motorcycle. I bought a 250 cc dual sport street legal bike, a Kawasaki Super Sherpa. With it, I can go to town and do chores like laundry and grocery shopping.
Also, I can explore the area I am in at the time.
It gets 80 mpg and doesn't need to be on a trailer so it is easier for me to maneuver around.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 88340
On Jan 13, 2008, at 9:58 PM, Sharon N. wrote:

I was wondering how you fulltimers, or most-of-the-timers, who don't travel with a towed vehicle, and stay in one place for weeks at a time manage shopping and laundry. Do you break camp every few days to do shopping, dump holding tanks, etc.? Do you rent a car while camped for three weeks or a month's stay?

Hi Sharon, As a solo fulltimer, I personally have all I can handle just with my RB!  I thought I'd tow and even bought a Subaru for that purpose -- but eventually sold it.  There are many times I regret that choice because it does indeed limit my exploring.  However, when I'm visiting a city or anywhere for long periods of time (3 weeks counts!), then I call Enterprise.  They pick up and deliver and give me weekly/monthly and old phartz rates.

When I'm visiting for long periods in remote areas, I just plan accordingly:  shop, dump, fill, and do errands beforehand and then get *real* serious about conserving water.  Unless I'm on the move, I avoid breaking camp until my itinerary demands it or when the water and tank situation dictates.  As a solo traveler, I can go about ten days before having to empty tanks or take on water.

I'm not advocating going toadless; I've just gotten to know my limitations!!

Lorna Still in Santa Cruz
2003 RB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 88347
jkam69,
 You've done what I was imagining I would want to do, since we would like to avoid pulling a toad, and yet want the flexibility to run into town, or check out some otherwise inaccessible roads.
 Can I ask what rack you installed?  Any issues with the weight on your hitch?  Wouldn't have a picture by any chance?

Thanks
Steven & Carol Crisp -- 2000 26.5' Blue Mid-Bath named Thistle Dew Too
Our RV Motto:  "No place to be ... and all day to get there"
2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 88348
jkam69,

You've done what I was imagining I would want to do, since we would
like to avoid pulling

a toad, and yet want the flexibility to run into town, or check out
some otherwise

inaccessible roads.

Can I ask what rack you installed?  Any issues with the weight on
your hitch?  Wouldn't

have a picture by any chance?

Thanks in advance,

Steve and Carol Crisp Gonnabees -- Thistle Dew Too (2000 26.5 MB)
G'day Steve.

I had the rack custom made.
I had them install two 2" receivers on the rear and had the rack made to slide into those 2 receivers. It's very secure and doesn't weight that much, maybe 80 lbs. The bike I chose weighs about #250 lbs. so it's not too bad. Haven't noticed that much difference in handling of the rig, maybe just a hair lighter in the front end. I'll take some photos and post them up to my folder, which is listed under the photo section under "1996 23.5 FL, Grey Ghost".

Jay
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 88364
Sharon,
 We're slightly more than half-timers, with our big junket being 5 1/2 months on the road each winter.  We do not have a toad, although we have discussed it.  Our conclusion was that it was not worth it to us.   Each winter we spend two months as Campground Hosts in FL, and have managed just fine without one.  We have two days off each week, one of which is a shopping and errands day, while the other day we'll often go out as tourists.  It takes only a couple of minutes to unhook our water, electric, and satellite TV and be on the road.   We have found that we like taking the rig with us on our day outings: it means we have a bathroom handy, can cook lunch and sometimes supper out at some scenic spot before heading back to camp, and can change clothes if the weather dictates.  When doing grocery shopping, the ice cream sure doesn't have a chance to melt, as the rig is parked right outside the store.  So we can grocery shop and then continue on our way for the rest of the day.  If we went for groceries with a toad, we'd have to return to camp to put them in the fridge.  We seem to do fine with a weekly outing. We can go a week between tank dumpings.
 After we leave our current "job" we'll be wandering around for a couple of months, and when doing that, we do our shopping on travel days.  And we'll occasionally leave the site for some sight-seeing, but spending a week in a nice, quiet CG without moving the LD can be very pleasant.
 On a very few occasions we have rented a car for a day or two.  That is certainly a lot cheaper than towing all winter.

Ted H.

'02 FL  NE-12

Camp Hosts @ Gamble Rogers SRA FL
--
www.toad.fobria.com
 See where we are: http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=6079 Posted by: "Sharon N."Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:58 pm (PST) I was wondering how you fulltimers, or most-of-the-timers, who don't travel with a towed vehicle, and stay in one place for weeks at a time manage shopping and laundry. Do you break camp every few days to do shopping, dump holding tanks, etc.? Do you rent a car while camped for three weeks or a month's stay?

Sharon N.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 88376
Many thanks to Kate, Andy, Jay, Lorna, and Ted H., who responded to my question about fulltiming without a toad.  It just shows there are lots of ways to travel in a LD, with or without a toad!

I find that the unhooking the electric, sewer, cable, water part of getting ready to go somewhere is just the tip of the iceburg, though.
Perhaps you folks are much neater (or collect less "stuff") than I do.
Just stowing or securing all the loose stuff...magazines, books, laptop tray, laptop, headphones, stepstool, the Easy Curtain, the dogs, things on the counter, etc. takes a good bit of time.  I don't do it casually.
 I find we're spending more time in one place, not only because of the money-saving aspects, but to avoid pack-it-up time.  Could it be me just getting older?! ;^)

Sharon N.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 88385
"I find that the unhooking the electric, sewer, cable, water part of getting ready to go somewhere is just the tip of the iceburg, though.
Perhaps you folks are much neater (or collect less "stuff") than I do.
Just stowing or securing all the loose stuff...magazines, books, laptop tray, laptop, headphones, stepstool, the Easy Curtain, the dogs, things on the counter, etc. takes a good bit of time. I don't do it casually."

Sharon

That's really it for me too.  The actual unhooking is the least of it, it's all teh stuff sitting around the rig that needs to be secured.  Still, we can get ready to leave in about 20-30 minutes if we need to, but we're usually slower by choice.

Also, after a day out playing, I love to come home to Cholula and find her all cozy and set up.

That's why, for us, the toad works so well.

Again YMMV.

Kate
 http://cholulared.blogspot.com &

http://www.cholulared.com

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 88392
"I find that the unhooking the electric, sewer, cable, water part of getting ready to go somewhere is just the tip of the iceburg... Just stowing or securing all the loose stuff... takes a good bit of time."
 I've always been very conscious of minimizing "loose stuff," because I hate to have to spend an hour stowing things before I go anywhere... and then wonder what I forgot! I've made sure that as much as possible, items are secure yet usable. That means using bungee cords, making retaining rails from coat hanger wire, and using adhesive mounting putty.
 When I have to go into town (these days, the usual reason is to mail copies of "Eureka" :-) and plan to return to my campsite, all I have to do in the interior is:

* drop the retaining rod (coat hanger wire) into one corner of my stationery supplies drawer unit
 * snap the retaining rod (1/2" dowel) into the broomclips on my drawer stack inside the wardrobe
 * put my computer in its case (on short trips I'll just lay it on its back on the sofa)

* put away my tea mug in the kitchen

That's it for inside. Nothing else needs to be moved or secured.
Outside, I disconnect the satellite internet cables, unplug from shore power if connected, remove the windshield shade, check all tire pressures, and I'm ready to go. The routine is simple enough that I don't use a checklist.

Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 88397
On Jan 14, 2008, at 10:46 PM, Sharon N. wrote: ...
 I find we're spending more time in one place, not only because of the money-saving aspects, but to avoid pack-it-up time.  Could it be me just getting older?! ;^)

Sharon N.

Sharon, it's definitely not an age-related thing!!  "Stowing and securing" is what I call it.  In terms of the time it takes to stow/ secure all that "stuff":  the longer it takes just means that you got settled in, comfortable, put aside your innate fastidiousness, re- prioritized housekeeping and nitpicking and truly enjoyed your different surroundings to the nth!  Right?!

Lorna Baja prep: Trying to jettison 100+ pounds of Stuff!
2003 RB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 88440
[snip]

That's it for inside. Nothing else needs to be moved or secured.
Outside, I disconnect the satellite internet cables, unplug from shore power if connected, remove the windshield shade, check all tire pressures, and I'm ready to go. The routine is simple enough that I don't use a checklist.

Andy, it must be wonderful to be that organized, but I'll never know! ;^)

Sharon N.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 88441
Quote from: Lorna Dunham

"...the longer it takes just means that you got settled in, comfortable, put aside your innate fastidiousness, re-prioritized housekeeping and nitpicking and truly enjoyed your different surroundings to the nth!  Right?!"

Absolutely!  Thanks, Lorna.

Sharon N.