Skip to main content
Topic: Toad questions (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Toad questions
Yahoo Message Number: 88183
I have been happy with my Honda CRV and Brake Buddy.  I just replaced my 98 CRV with a 2005 model.  The Brake Buddy just moves along which you cannot do with an SMI or wired in supplemental brake system.  I will be spending close to a grand for a new baseplate and wiring jobs.  Happily I will not need a new brake system too.
As long as you hook up the Brake Buddy correctly and make sure you bleed the vacuum by pumping your brake pedal about 6 times the unit works fine.
I have been quite satisfied with it for the past 6 years.  We cross the country twice yearly and cover some 14,000 miles yearly with the RV.  The car gets more like 20,000 miles annually.
YMMV Mike
2007 RK

Re: Toad questions
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 88185
The Brake Buddy just moves along which you cannot do with an SMI or wired in supplemental brake system.
Having just installed an SMI a few months back, the only thing I would abandon in moving it to a new car would be six feet of four strand wire and a few hours of work. I could remove the components in 15 minutes tops.

What I like about the SMI is there is nothing to install to tow and nothing to move/store to use the toad. You just plug in the wire that connects the two vehicles to go.

The phone support I got from SMI was excellent. I know very little about cars, but they were able to explain what I needed to know.

http://www.smibrake.com
 I am not sure, but I think US Gear is similar in the way it functions.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Toad questions
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 88203
I have been happy with my Honda CRV and Brake Buddy.  I just replaced my 98 CRV with a 2005 model.  The Brake Buddy just moves along which you cannot do with an SMI or wired in supplemental brake system.  I will be spending close to a grand for a new baseplate and wiring jobs.
Happily I

will not need a new brake system too.
As long as you hook up the Brake Buddy correctly and make sure you bleed the vacuum by pumping your brake pedal about 6 times the unit works
fine.

I have been quite satisfied with it for the past 6 years.  We cross the country twice yearly and cover some 14,000 miles yearly with the RV.
The car gets more like 20,000 miles annually.
YMMV Mike
What appeals to me about the newer BB Vantage is it bleeds the brakes itself. I saw one poster on RV.NET comment that it takes him 14 seconds to install the BB Vantage. Since I have never used one don't know if that is true or not. Size doesn't appear to be too large and it only weighs 12 pounds.
 I assume the big difference between this and the SMI or US Gear is it isn't proportional. I am not sure how important that really is.

Jim