Skip to main content
Topic: Proposed closing 48 state parks in CA (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Proposed closing 48 state parks in CA
Yahoo Message Number: 88151
I just read:  Schwarzenegger proposed closing 48 of California's 279 state parks.   Can't wait to see which parks they want to close and how this will effect the already difficult situation of getting camping spots in CA state parks.

Henry

Re: Proposed closing 48 state parks in CA
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 88153
Here is the list of parks to be closed...

• Del Norte Redwoods State Park.
• Grizzly Creek Redwoods State Park.
• William B. Ide Adobe State Historic Park.
• Woodson Bridge State Recreation Area.
• Plumas-Eureka State Park.
• Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park.
• Manchester State Beach.
• Clear Lake State Park.
• Anderson Marsh State Historic Park.
• Aust

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 88160
"Schwarzenegger proposed closing 48 of California's 279 state parks."

Won't bother me--the CA state parks are already so expensive that I won't go there. ;-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 88163
Won't bother me--the CA State parks are already so expensive that I won't go there. ;-)

Andy Baird
GOOD GRIEF ANDY-----If State parks are too expensive, where do you hang out?? Todd

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.
 http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 88165
GOOD GRIEF ANDY-----If State parks are too expensive, where do you hang out?? Todd

There ARE some state parks that are not as expensive as CA state parks!
 For example, if you want to dry camp in NM state parks, it will cost you only $10.  If you want electrical hookups (and sometimes water, depending on the park), it will cost you only $14.  A full hookup site would cost you $18.
 AND, if you buy an out-of-state annual camping permit (for $225), you can dry camp in the NM state parks for FREE, have electric (and sometimes water) hookups for $4, or a full hookup site for $8!
 It's the best state park system as far as offering annual passes of any state I'm familiar with (while some state park systems offer a "day use fee annual pass," you still have to pay full price for camping).  Kate & Terry, Andy, and Earl & I have taken advantage of the NM state park annual pass.
 Like Andy, we rarely stay in state parks because we can usually find less expensive places to stay...NM state parks are an exception to that "rule."

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 88166
"Schwarzenegger proposed closing 48 of California's 279 state parks."

Won't bother me--the CA state parks are already so expensive that I won't go there. ;-)

I can't argue with the fact that they are expensive...  But I would expect any camper or Rv'er to be at least interested in any state cutting funding for state parks.  Like it or not, some things that begin in California find their way to other states as well...

Brian

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 88167
 Hopefully this is just a maneuver to find funding?  Glad I don't live in California any more :-)

ray

--
Wow, 9 of them I have visited or visited on a regular basis and like very much.
 San Simeon State Park sticks out. I can't imagine closing it without closing Hearst Castle. On the other hand, I live just a few miles away from Santa Susanna State park, and don't even know where the entrance is, let alone parking.

Terry

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 88171
Well, then, please have a heart for those of us who dearly love some of the places on the hit list.  And if you'd ever been to Montano de Oro, you might feel differently.

--- Barbara

Proposed closing 48 state parks in CA
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 88174
  > Won't bother me--the CA State parks are already so expensive that I > won't go there. ;-)
Dude,

A little empathy maybe?  Some of us do have to live here.

Slammy5150/Paul

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 88175
In a message dated 1/11/08 10:38:48 AM, andybaird@earthlink .net
writes:

> Won't bother me--the CA State parks are already so expensive that I > won't go there. ;-)

Dude,

A little empathy maybe?  Some of us do have to live here.

Slammy5150/Paul

Those of us in Texas feel for you.  The Texas State Parks have gone through some hard times due to years of underfunding.  There have been some park closings and, more commonly, a general degradation of facilities.  It was only after multiple articles pointing out the sad state of affairs in newspapers from across the state that the funding increased during the last legislative session.
 Given a choice, we will almost always stay in a state park or national park.  On our trip over Christmas between Dallas and Santa Barbara we stayed four nights at Carpinteria State Beach (CA), and one night each at Rockhound State Park (NM), Monahans Sandhills State Park (TX), and Lake Colorado City State Park (TX).  Every one of these places was dramatically different, but we found them to be so much more enjoyable than the several commercial campgrounds/resorts where we also stayed.
Most of the state parks were practically deserted, except for Carpinteria SB.  I hate to think how crowded the remaining California parks will be if the state goes through with their proposed closings.
 Good luck.  We won't have an opportunity to use these parks very much, but we certainly would hate to see them close.

Ruthanne Silver - '07 RK

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 88176
Andy says: 'Won't bother me--the CA state parks are already so expensive that I won't go there. ;-)'

Well Andy, if the Terminator closes those parks, the Californians will just come over to New Mexico and camp next to you!

Glen

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.1/1219 - Release Date: 1/11/2008 10:19 AM

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 88180
Well, I sure hate to hear this, because as someone else already noted, California often sets the tone for other states, and I would hate to see this become a trend!

Kate
 http://cholulared.blogspot.com &

http://www.cholulared.com

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 88182
Well, I sure hate to hear this, because as someone else already noted, California often sets the tone for other states, and I would hate to see this become a trend!
CA is behind the curve on this. MN cut back 3/4 years ago. Alabama and Mississippi continue cut funds and let their parks run down. Florida has many parks, some great, some not so great, but they are doing capital improvements and trying to keep up with damage from storms. I don't know if other states have cut funds or they are just not able to keep up maintenance, but many state parks need attention.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 88187
"GOOD GRIEF ANDY-----If State parks are too expensive, where do you hang out?"
 In New Mexico state parks, Todd. Go back a few days and read message #88049 for the reasons. $4 a night with hookups is hard to beat! :-)
 I apologize to those who took my flippant comment to mean that I don't care how many state parks are shut down. I think it's a tragedy when any of them are, and if I had a favorite park that was about to be shut down, I'd be very upset.
 But I also think it's a mistaken strategy when state parks are priced higher than commercial campgrounds that offer better amenities. For example, I can stay in a Colorado state park for $27 a night... or in a commercial campground for $12 a night with my Passport America card.

This isn't just a question of being on a tight budget. As I've mentioned before, I've spent all my money in New Mexico for most of the past two years, precisely because its state parks are so affordable. If other states had comparable fees, they'd be getting some of my money--but they don't, so they're not. Of course they have every right to try to recoup 100% of their operating costs from fees (something New Mexico doesn't attempt to do)... but I have a right to vote with my wheels. :-) I know I'm not the only one.

Andy Baird

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 88191
-

I hear they will keep some Rangers on to patrol the parks to make sure no one sneaks in.  How can they close Clear Lake State Park?  One of my favorites for dry camping, boating and birding,  but I suppose all the parks are favorites of someone.  There has to be another way.

Pat (Mac) 65 miles from Clear Lake

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 88192
On Jan 11, 2008, at 10:21 PM, Andy Baird wrote:

I've spent all my money in New Mexico for most of the past two years, precisely because its state parks are so affordable. If other states had comparable fees, they'd be getting some of my money--but they don't, so they're not.
...and we thought you were there for the view

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis

Proposed closing 48 state parks in CA-LONG comment
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 88198
On Jan 11, 2008, at 6:47 AM, Ray Cadmus wrote:

As much as the CA state park reservation system bugs me to tears, the closing of some of these parks makes me heartsick.  Yes, entrance fees are at the high end; no, the cost to camp
2003 RB

Re: Proposed closing 48 state parks in CA-LONG comment
Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 88200
At 10:56 PM 1/11/2008, you wrote:

It scares me to think that many of these public lands might be plundered by developers to make way for yet another obscene strip mall or ticky-tacky housing tract.  Californians, write the governator and your legislators!
I'm pretty sure that these parks, even if closed, will remain state property and not be turned over to developers or sold to the highest bidder. Nevertheless, it is sickening that the governor plans to close them in order to make up part of the budget shortfall.

Everybody wants their favorite tax-supported service, activity, or benefit to be retained, but almost nobody is willing to pay a penny more in taxes to support it. In fact, lots of folks are still campaigning to cut taxes even further! I don't know where they think the money comes from, to pay for parks and libraries and schools and senior centers and medical services for the poor and elderly, and so on. Apparently, these things just materialize out of thin air.

Sonsie

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 88206
Sonsie is spot on when she wrote:

"Everybody wants their favorite tax-supported service, activity, or benefit to be retained, but almost nobody is willing to pay a penny more in taxes to support it. In fact, lots of folks are still campaigning to cut taxes even further! I don't know where they think the money comes from, to pay for parks and libraries and schools and senior centers and medical services for the poor and elderly, and so on. Apparently, these things just materialize out of thin air."
 We do have a budget shortfall in California, and it has been coming for a while.   Problem is, the Governator is looking at ripping the heart out of school, parks, libraries and other popular and important services.   I suspect much of this is a ploy to get the public stirred up so they will descend on the legislature and insist on cutting some of the fat from the bureaucracy, and to support a tax increase.   Would I pay more taxes, or more in fees, to save those 48 state parks?   Schools? Medical care?   Sure thing.   But let's look at the whole picture.   There are still other funding options and savings to be looked at.

Gary in Chico, CA

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.
 http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 88208
"they are visited with love of and curiosity for the fantastic experiences they offer to nature lovers, conservationists and history buffs by the thousands."

Lorna

Nicely stated and Beautifully written.

Kate
 http://cholulared.blogspot.com &

http://www.cholulared.com

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 88215
Would I pay more taxes, or more in fees, to save those

48 state parks?
User Fees, i.e. a higher cost to enter, or camp in, a State Park is a common, though controversial, solution to the park funding issue.
That way those who directly benefit from the service pay a larger share of the total cost to provide the service.

Ed

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 88216
"I hear they will keep some Rangers on to patrol the parks to make sure no one sneaks in."
 They'd better--otherwise any closed parks could turn into havens for criminals operating drug labs, which I gather is already a problem on many public lands.

Andy Baird