Skip to main content
Topic: Leaks Upper Bedroom (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Leaks Upper Bedroom
Yahoo Message Number: 88041
Recently I wrote regarding the leak I have at the bathroom vent... Seems to be staying dry since I covered it with a plastic bag.
While checking the rest of my BodegaBaby... I noticed that the window in the upper bedroom has a leak... I also noticed that there appears to be another leak in the upper bedroom on the drivers side. Although the pictures I took are pretty lousy... I hope you can see what I'm talking about. I had new gaskets put around that window. The other leak appears to be seeping at a steady pace through that screw, but I'm not positive... It is a factory installed screw...  I had her sitting with her nose down and the rear elevated when the bathroom vent showed signs of leakage. I moved the RV in another spot and the drivers side is elevated downward slightly as well as the nose end... Any suggestions on tracing that water leaking up there... I don't see anything else going on up there but that screw allowing the water to come in. I will be moving BodegaBaby back into the other position and not allowing her to slant on the drivers side. See if that stops it... I will also have to tarp I this keeps up...

Ellen in her BodegaBaby 1986 23' FL LD

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57026417@N00/

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Leaks Upper Bedroom
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 88045
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:40:30 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time), "EllenDhillon"  wrote these inspiring words:

Regret to read and hear about the damage.

I will be moving BodegaBaby back into the other position and not allowing her to slant on the drivers side
After this gets sorted out, you should consider putting on gutters.
They will run the water off the front or back and not over the sides/windows, no matter how you are parked. I took the idea from Cholula Red http://www.cholulared.com/

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 88075
gaskets put around that window. The other leak appears to be seeping
at a

steady pace through that screw, but I'm not positive... It is a factory
Ellen, it's hard to tell much from your photos, but if the 'screw' you refer to is a window frame screw, then it is NOT the source of your leak. The frame is two pieces - main frame with glass, inserted from outside with sealant, and the inside escutcheon, which clamps the frame in place. Those screws do no pierce the skin.

In our '83, we had leaks up there, as well as a cracked pane, and I did extensive resealing, which included new sealant around the frame (did that with ALL coach windows), replacing the glass with Lexan, and resealing that into the frame. That cured through-window leaks, but in intense rain we would still get the bunk area wet, and the passenger cab floor. Steve at LD said it was likely a roof leak, so I sealed all roof seams and around roof appliances. No more leaks, even during the worst Pineapple Express storms.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 88078
but in intense rain we would still get the bunk area wet, and the passenger cab floor.
I think I know the answer to this, but there has been a lot of talk about various leaks: dish, roof, windows, vents, etc. Are these just a series of anomalies or should I be concerned with leaks on my yet to be delivered LD? ? ? ? ??? Indio Todd

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.
http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 88079

but in intense rain we would still get the bunk area wet, and the passenger cab floor.

I think I know the answer to this, but there has been a lot of talk about various leaks: dish, roof, windows, vents, etc. Are these just a
series of

anomalies or should I be concerned with leaks on my yet to be
delivered LD? ? ? ? ???

Indio Todd
some of the recent leaking coaches seem to be on models in the 20 year old range....  probably the result of normal wear and tear which I would expect...

Re: Leaks
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 88081
"there has been a lot of talk about various leaks: dish, roof, windows, vents, etc. Are these just a series of anomalies or should I be concerned with leaks on my yet to be delivered LD?"

As Brian noted, most of the recent reports have involved older coaches. Any RV will leak eventually if not properly maintained. A Lazy Daze is less likely to leak than most brands, because its one-piece aluminum roof won't deteriorate the way fiberglass can, and can't be pierced by tree branches that would tear up a "rubber" (EPDM) roof.

That doesn't mean it's invulnerable to leaks at seams and around penetrations such as vents, though. I believe the factory recommends resealing the roof every five years, though many of us have gone longer than that. But it's better to do it before a leak becomes apparent, because leaks can invite dry rot that weakens the rig's frame.

LD's wood-frame construction is considerably stronger than that of most RVs on the road (ask to see the rollover video when you visit the factory), but it's more vulnerable to dry-rot damage caused by leaks than the metal or fiberglass construction methods used by most RV makers. It pays to take good care of your roof and nip any problems in the bud.
 But to repeat, your new LD is less likely to leak than most RVs on the road, so you shouldn't feel worried about it. Just treat it as a normal maintenance item, following the instructions in your manual, and you'll be fine.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Leaks
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 88090
But to repeat, your new LD is less likely to leak than most RVs on the road, so you shouldn't feel worried about it. Just treat it as a normal maintenance item, following the instructions in your manual, and you'll be fine.

Andy Baird
Thanks Andy, that's what I thought.
Indio Todd

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.
http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 88094
Thanks for the response Steve... No it isn't a window frame screw, it is the rolled corner guard on the body. I uploaded a picture showing what I'm talking about. As far as the window, a glass company just replaced the gasket around the window.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57026417@N00/2181617282/

Even though this is an older unit and of course there will be a little more problems then with the newer ones... I still wouldn't own anything except a lazy daze... It is only obvious that the quality is superb compared to anything else out there!

Ellen 1986 23'FL LD

Refer to is a window frame screw, then it is NOT the source of your Leak. The frame is two pieces - main frame with glass, inserted from Outside with sealant, and the inside escutcheon, which clamps the Frame in place. Those screws do no pierce the skin.>>