Skip to main content
Topic: Leak with manual Winegard Satelite Antenae--advice wanted (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
Leak with manual Winegard Satelite Antenae--advice wanted
Yahoo Message Number: 87972
Dear Friends,
 It is finally raining here in Southern California and I have a leak.
I had the roof resealed by the Mothership a couple of months ago prior to our rainy season and all looked good.
 I went over to my coach in storage to check it out with all the rain we have had and found a drip coming from the manual satelite antenae location.  As we all know there is a shaft that cranks up and down which has a black cap on the top.  I went up on the roof and it seems to be sealed well around the base and the cap is present, however, there is of course an opening in the gear housing which is where it may be coming in from. I could scrap off all the sealant around the base and reseal it again when the rain stops but I suspect it is coming down from the shaft.  On the inside the drip forms around the degree marker near the handle, not around the outside base.

The chair underneath is wet and also the carpet is damp.  For now I put a collection dish under the drip on the chair and came home to ask the group for any suggestions.  I could take it back to the Mothership but I don't think they installed the dish originally (I recall CW from the previous owner).
 Even though I paid them top money to reseal the roof, I don't know if they would take the responsibility of fixing the leak near the satelite dish.  I am the second owner of this otherwise fine coach.
The interior roof seems dry and there are no water marks or major damage that I can see.  Any suggestions or easy fixes?  Has anyone in the group had problems with the manual winegard antenaes leaking before?

Thanks in advance.

Jakester

Re: Leak with manual Winegard Satellite Antenna
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 87975
Gary, I'm sorry to hear about your leak--especially after you paid the factory to seal the roof to prevent just such an occurrence! If I were in your shoes, I'd call the factory first, because they're your best chance of getting a no-cost repair. Regardless of who installed the antenna, *if* the leak is around the base of the roof mount, then I'd say they are responsible.
 Now, if the antenna mechanism itself is cracked internally, that's a different story. But before you draw any conclusions, bear in mind that RV roof leaks often show up at ceiling locations several feet from where the water is actually entering. In other words, the water could be entering at a seam or vent cap and running across the inside of the ceiling to the nearest exit point, which could be the antenna shaft opening.

My advice: call the factory and tell them "You resealed my roof a couple of months ago, but now it's leaking." Don't try to diagnose where it's coming in; let them worry about that. At the very least I'd expect them to invite you to bring it in so they can take a look.
That's your first, best alternative. If they say the leak was caused by an internal defect in the antenna, then you can decide what to do.

One thing I wouldn't do: take it back to Camping World. ;-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 87977
Gary, I'm sorry to hear about your leak--especially after you paid the factory to seal the roof to prevent just such an occurrence! If I were in your shoes, I'd call the factory first, because they're your best chance of getting a no-cost repair. Regardless of who installed the antenna, *if* the leak is around the base of the roof mount, then
I'd

say they are responsible.
 Now, if the antenna mechanism itself is cracked internally, that's a different story. But before you draw any conclusions, bear in mind that RV roof leaks often show up at ceiling locations several feet from where the water is actually entering. In other words, the water could be entering at a seam or vent cap and running across the inside of the ceiling to the nearest exit point, which could be the antenna shaft opening.

My advice: call the factory and tell them "You resealed my roof a couple of months ago, but now it's leaking." Don't try to diagnose where it's coming in; let them worry about that. At the very least
I'd

expect them to invite you to bring it in so they can take a look.
That's your first, best alternative. If they say the leak was caused by an internal defect in the antenna, then you can decide what to
do.

One thing I wouldn't do: take it back to Camping World. ;-)

Good advice as always, Andy.  Thanks, I will call them in the morning as it is still raining steadily as I am writing this response.  When I went up on the roof and looked, one is able to see the gear housing which is where I figured the water is getting in.  You are right in stating that it could be coming in from elsewhere.

I know a lot of the posters on this site, including yourself, like the Eternabond product and I almost did the job myself.  I had called the factory since I only live 20 miles from them and spoke with Vince and Steve about the Eternabond and they were against it.  They told me that if I go ahead and use it and get a leak, then they would have to charge me double to remove it and reseal it the right way.  That is why I went ahead and went with their product and recommendation along with having them do the installation.  Now I will see how they stand by their repair work and will be happy to post the response that I get from them.  Actually, Vince was quite nice and appeared to do a fine job so I am not pointing fingers at this time.
 As you say, it may be the satelite housing itself, however, it cranks up and down just fine and appears to be okay.  If it isn't and needs replacement, would you suggest one of the domes?  I like my manual antenae because it has the flat dish that receives regular broadcast signals when it is too windy to crank up the manual satelite for satelite reception.  If I am correct, the domes only get satelite reception.  I may be getting ahead of myself but if the manual satelite system has to be replaced, what system do you recommend?

Thanks,

Gary

PS  Camping World is only for supplies and a dump station, not for repairs or installations.

Re: Leak with manual Winegard Satelite Antenae--advice wanted
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 87979
Any suggestions or easy fixes?  Has anyone in

the group had problems with the manual winegard antenaes leaking before?

Thanks in advance.

Jakester
There are two other things you might check. Sometimes water can enter via the cable entry boot. This boot can loosen as the antenna is repeatedly raised and lowered. A second possible culprit is the shaft rubber sealing rings which need to be lubed annually to prevent leaks.
Here's a link to Winegard's pdf on installation and maintenance. The reference to the shaft seals are about four pages down.
 http://www.winegard.com/mobile/pdf/2452013.pdf

Hope this helps, George (going to pick up our rig next week)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 87980
If I am correct, the domes only get satelite reception.
That's a true statement. However, remember that the domes work fine in wind but will often quit in fog, mist and light rain because the water defuses the signal. Choose your poison!! Todd

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.
 http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 87989
"it may be the satellite housing itself, however, it cranks up and down just fine and appears to be okay. If it isn't and needs replacement, would you suggest one of the domes?... if the manual satellite system has to be replaced, what system do you recommend?"

Gary, I can't give you any advice there, because I have no TV. In fact, I removed both my TV-satellite dish and my "batwing" TV antenna to make room for more solar panels, which are a higher priority for me. I keep myself entertained with DVD movies on my 20" iMac's screen and books on my Sony PRS-505 ebook reader. :-)

Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Leak with manual Winegard Satelite Antenae--advice wanted
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 87998
Dear Friends,
Gary,

So sorry to hear about your leak.  Andy's advice about phoning the Mothership is right on the mark .  I too had a leak at this same spot and called Vince.  My problem originated when I had "The Kit" installed to alleviate the wobble in the dish.  The un-named folks that did it did not do a good job of sealing it again and then used the wrong stuff that was still wet a few months after the job.

Vince and crew did an excellent job of re-sealing with the proper stuff and I've had no problems since.
 It sure is nice to live relatively close to the Mothership for expert advice and repair.

Dick Ridgecrest, Ca