Skip to main content
Topic: External Antenna for KPC650 Aircard (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
External Antenna for KPC650 Aircard
Yahoo Message Number: 87953
Hello, Can anyone out there provide any performance reviews on external antennas for the KPC650 Aircard(Verizon)Omni External Antenna.  I am currently using an internal booster antenna and it works pretty well except in some remote areas of the country.  I would like to have something that I could easily setup/takedown in those cases.  I have some specific questions like...............
1.Do they really work?
2.Would a temporary(for use in desolate areas only)or a permanent mount  be more feasible?
3. Would a ladder mount work on the LD's slanted ladder?
4.  What would be a good way to run the wiring on a 23.5k/t?  Any and all comments will be appreciated.  TIA..............mike

Re: External Antenna for KPC650 Aircard
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 87954
Hello Mike;

Hello, Can anyone out there provide any performance reviews on external antennas for the KPC650 Aircard(Verizon)Omni External Antenna.
I have the VZ AirCard 595, a similar product.
In addition I have an external magnetic base, 12" antenna mounted on the roof plus a cell phone booster.
If I was getting one "bar" of reception with just the AirCard and hooked up just the antenna, I would typically gain another "bar". If I fired up the booster, I typically would add another "bar" for a total of three bars. A nice improvement.
However, the biggest improvement of all is when I'm in a real marginal area and can can go from no service to slow service; a quantum leap.
My cell phone has a port for an external antenna and I get similar results with the cell phone.
 I would like to have  something that I could easily setup/takedown in those cases.

All I do is plug the antenna into the port on the AirCard, plug the booster into the 12v outlet and I'm ready to go. Takes a minute perhaps.

1.Do they really work?

This setup works well for me.

2.Would a temporary(for use in desolate areas only)or a permanent  mount be more feasible?

Once the antenna wire is run, you have a permanent setup.

3. Would a ladder mount work on the LD's slanted ladder?

Some people have setups like that.

4.  What would be a good way to run the wiring on a 23.5k/t?

Don't know. I don't have that plan. The refrigerator chimney is one of the common ways of getting a wire inside. That works on my MB plan.
 Any other questions feel free to contact me at

Ed

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 87958
You're just looking for a good cell phone antenna, because that's all the "aircard" is--a faceless cell phone that's controlled via software. Most of us get good results from Wilson brand cell antennas and booster amps.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 87960
You're just looking for a good cell phone antenna, because that's all the "aircard" is--a faceless cell phone that's controlled via software. Most of us get good results from Wilson brand cell antennas and booster amps.

For all things concerning air cards, antennas and adapters for such, go to
www.evdoinfo.com .

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 87961
And others of us get excellent results with "Digital Antenna" brand of wireless cell phone amps (no wire needed to connect to inside cell phones).
 I purchased an early Wilson wireless cell phone amp, returned due to dismal range and performance. They have since redesigned it - I think. Wilson's wired amp (I think that's what Andy has) has always worked well, but I just didn't want the hassle of having to attach a wire to the cell phone and then buy a new wired adapter when getting a new phone. My Digital Antenna amp provides service to multiple phones or cell devices.
 Note that wired amps do have an advantage of slightly better amplification in very low signal strength areas. For the wireless amp, in those situations, it is best to use the cell phone nearer the inside antenna.

all the best,

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 87962
"Hello, Can anyone out there provide any performance reviews on
external antennas for the KPC650 Aircard(Verizon)Omni External Antenna.

4.  What would be a good way to run the wiring on a 23.5k/t? Any and all comments will be appreciated..."  TIA..............mike
Mike, I sometimes use the Wilson trucker antenna attached to my Vzn Motorola 325i phone and I made a wooden stand/platform to which I attach the antenna and then set it on the LD's roof when parked.  I run the antenna cable from the roof through either one of the cab doors and then into the lounge area of our 30'.  The rubber seal on the door absorbs the width of the cable without crushing it; therefore you can close the door tightly.

Chris Horst

Arvada (Denver), CO
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 87987
Mike,
 Another possible solution is to mount a Wilson truckers cell antenna on your roof rail using a marine swivel clamp.  You can than run the wire inside and not have to mess with much set-up work when you want to use the antenna.  The marine clamp has a swivel feature that lets me move the antenna from it's vertical in-use position to a horizontal position for travel.  When down

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 88015
Thanks Ted H for that wonderful idea.  I like it and will start looking around for the equipment soon.  Great website too.....mike