Skip to main content
Topic: question about tank dumping... (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
question about tank dumping...
Yahoo Message Number: 87868
In the front of my house, about a foot off of the street is a sewer vent cap and it looks to be about the same size as the standard hose/fittings for dumping rv sewers.  Are there any laws specific to using this as a means of purging your rv tanks?  It is a sewer system and not septic and I would think any tank chemicals would be sufficiently diluted as to not adversely affect any natural processes.

Just curious if anyone else does/has done this?

Brian

Re: question about tank dumping...
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 87869
"In the front of my house, about a foot off of the street is a sewer vent cap and it looks to be about the same size as the standard hose/fittings for dumping rv sewers.  Are there any laws specific to using this as a means of purging your rv tanks?  It is a sewer system and not septic and I would think any tank chemicals would be sufficiently diluted as to not adversely affect any natural processes.

Just curious if anyone else does/has done this?"

Brian
Yep, I do it at my son's nearby house which coveniently has a sewer cleanout valve at the end of his driveway.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 87870
In the front of my house, about a foot off of the street is a sewer vent cap...

Routinely.  A lot less hassle than the truck stop.

-Dave

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 87872
It is a sewer system and not septic and I would think any tank chemicals would be sufficiently diluted as to not adversely affect any natural processes.

I have done it on private property with no apparent problems. However, I'm not equipped to discuss the legal aspects of using something on public property.
Remember, it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission! Indio Todd

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.
http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 87873

It is a sewer system and not septic and I would think any tank chemicals would be sufficiently diluted as to not adversely affect any natural
processes.

I have done it on private property with no apparent problems.
However, I'm

not equipped to discuss the legal aspects of using something on
public property.

Remember, it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission! Indio Todd

http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?
NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

well...  it is my yard....  I am more concerned with an overzealous HOA....

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 87876
"Brian"  wrote: "well... it is my yard.... I am more concerned with an overzealous HOA...." --- Brian, it's not necessarily the HOA itself; an "HOA" wouldn't be aware of your dumping the RV's tanks into the sewer clean-out.  However, one of your curtain-peeping *neighbors* who can't mind their own business might take exception to the dump and "report" you to the HOA. I guess it all depends on the number of "long-noses" around your neighborhood, and only you could judge if using the clean-out might generate a complaint. If the only nearby clean-out wasn't in my next-door neighbor's driveway, I'd use it to dump, too! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 87877
I thought that was what them fancy electricalonic remote operated tank valves was for. So's you can flip a switch and dump your load while heading down the highway . . . I mean it was good enough for the railroad and Amtrak all them years.

bumper Yonder Minden NV (with manual valves of course :c)
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 87882
...what them fancy electricalonic remote operated tank valves was for.
So's you can flip a switch and dump your load while heading down the highway . . . . bumper

A perfect cure for tailgaters - great thought Bumper ;o)

Brian - Is the clean out inside your property line, check your deed plat - if not then sure wouldn't want the HOA stirred up or the health dept due to as Joan said a "self appointed" noisy neighbor -

We have a clean-out within our property line by our driveway, near house which connects into our house sewer line - this connection is not buried very deep, but does have a slight drop to it for drain flow - might want to consider looking into putting in your own - a unique gardening project

V & Jim central Texas Starr & Midnight Roadie '07 Red 26.5RB - '07 Blk Matrix

Re: question about tank dumping...the Macerator Option
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 87888
Camping World has an "Internet Only" special on the "Flo-Jet" Macerator http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdoor-and-RV- Accessories/FloJet-RV-Waste-Pump-Kit/skunum=26125 for $199 right now with 50% of on shipping.
 This solution to dumping at home is easier than digging up your sewer line to tap an RV connection in.  There is a writeup - "Macerator.pdf" on "Techsnoz" in the files section.  You can get to "Techsnoz" through the "Links" on this site.
 This device has worked well for me with a slight up-hill run through 70 feet of hose from my 2001 LD 26RB to the clean-out for my kitchen sink.
 (No. I am not dumping it into my kitchen sink - it goes into the sewer lines under the house through the clean out.)

Happy trails,

Terry Tanner

in rainy Los Angeles

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 87889
sure wouldn't want the HOA stirred up
WOW, you must have a liberal HOA if you are allowed to park at your house.
Doesn't sound like they would be upset about dumping!! Todd

http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 87892

sure wouldn't want the HOA stirred up

WOW, you must have a liberal HOA if you are allowed to park at your
house.

Doesn't sound like they would be upset about dumping!! Todd

http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?
NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

yep...  we get a 48 hour period to park in front of the house...

my typical situation will probably be like this...

pick up motorhome from storage on Thursday evening, park overnight plugged in to future 30amp service at house...  prep for Friday and leave for weekend after wife gets home from work....  return home Sunday....clean and plug in overnight to return Monday to storage... dumping to be done either Sunday night (in dark) or Monday morning (while everyone else is gone for work)

Brian

OT anecdote - Re: [LD] question about tank dumping...
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 87918
In a previous life, for many years, I made a living as a charter bus driver. Which means, pick up a group, church, school, ski, tour, etc, and take them cross country to whatever destination they arranged to go to.

On one such occasion, while driving a GMC 4905, which is a 47 passenger coach with a restroom in the back, I was hauling a fraternity to a football game at a competing campus. En route, I was being tailgated, by a very obnoxious driver. It was interstate driving. I would put on my signal, move to the left lane, he stayed right behind, so close I could see him out of neither mirror. I would slow down to 30, and he stayed right behind me. My speculation is that he was "drafting" me, if you are familiar with the term.

The one thing I didn't do that some drivers (hopefully not professionals carrying passengers) would, is to slam on the brakes.
Still, after a while, the fraternity guys up front noticed the peculiarities of my driving. Upon asking me, I told them of the follower. In about 2 minutes, I heard uproars of laughter, and one of the brothers asked me if he was still back there. Well, you can guess the rest. The GMC, unlike MCI and other, later coaches, had an inside dump, and one of the guys had pulled it. When I looked in the mirror, the car was pulled over, the front, including the windshield, was all chemical blue, and the wipers were going furiously. My guess is, as long as that driver lives, he will never again draft a bus.

Lee
2000 TK
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

OT anecdote - Re: [LD] question about tank dumping...
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 87919
Oh, Lee, that story had me in stitches! ;-) Thanks for making my day.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 87921
Camping World has an "Internet Only" special on the "Flo-Jet" Macerator This device has worked well for me with a slight up-hill run through 70 feet of hose from my 2001 LD 26RB to the clean-out for my kitchen
sink.

Terry (or any other users of this device):  Any idea on the maximum uphill run this thing will handle?  I have a 5-6 foot rise over 30 foot of run to my cleanout from the street.  Will it pump up that grade? Thanks, Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 87924
A 5 or 6 foot lift seems a bit much and could cause the motor to run hot if it will

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 87927
Jon:

I have used mine for seven years over about 110 feet to my cleanout fitting, which is maybe 15 feet above the driveway.  It is not the fastest emptying device, but I never considered the length or rise to be the reason.  Good luck

Gus Weber

Re: OT anecdote - Re: [LD] question about tank dumping...
Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 87929
That's a great story Lee.  I've always been tempted by those bumper stickers in places like Camping World that say "Back off or I'll flush".

-- Jonna in Tortuga, 2001 Teal RB 'Tortuga' Find us MAPhttp://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=1013> Follow the BLOG herehttp://www.baddog.com/blog/blog.html>