Skip to main content
Topic: Placed my order today..... (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic
Placed my order today.....
Yahoo Message Number: 87842
for an '08 27'MB in blue.....  FINALLY!!!  They are starting to sell the floor models....  the blue 26 1/2 MB is gone.  The '08 RB is coming along nicely...  they should be painting it very soon and the new front end looks preety darn good if you ask me.  They are still working out the kinks with the new running boards/flares but it seems that they will be fine.  As someone mentioned before about the Kodiak chassis' that were sitting on the lot...  Todd says they will be putting a 30' model on them and they will run about $130K....  no more info there as he said they are very busy and the new chassis' seems to be a side project.  Anyhow, I cannot thank all of you enough for the info and May will not be here soon enough...

Brian

Re: Placed my order today.....
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 87846
Congratulations!  What options did you order with your new rig?  I am still doing my pre-order homeworks on my 08 27' MB in Brown.

Elaine

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 87847
Congratulations!  What options did you order with your new rig?  I am still doing my pre-order homeworks on my 08 27' MB in Brown.

Elaine
2 solar panels, shocks, cb, xm, rear-view camera, tank insulation, battery disconnect.  I am sure there will be some things I will be doing myself as well.....

Brian

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 87848

Congratulations!  What options did you order with your new rig?
I am

still doing my pre-order homeworks on my 08 27' MB in Brown.

Elaine

"...2 solar panels, shocks, cb, xm, rear-view camera, tank
insulation, battery disconnect.  I am sure there will be some things I will be doing myself as well....."

Brian
 Brian, the consensus is that tank insulation is a waste of money and really doesn't prevent your tanks from freezing up.  I got it and can speak from experience.  The sprayed-on foam insulation makes it difficult at best to add anything to the exterior of the tanks such as different sensors, tank cleaners, heating panels (see Michael's recent posts), etc.  Ask Andy how hard it is to get that foam off.
It probably is not too late to cancel it.  Do a search on holding tank insulation (or similar words) and see some other opinions.

Chris Horst
2002 30' IB
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 87850
Brian have you read the comments on LD's tank insulation in this forum? Most agree that it isn't useful, and many of those who inherited it on secondhand rigs (myself included) wish we didn't have it.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 87851
Brian have you read the comments on LD's tank insulation in this forum? Most agree that it isn't useful, and many of those who inherited it on secondhand rigs (myself included) wish we didn't have
it.

whoops....  1+1=3...  I do seem to remember some of those negative comments....  guess I will be giving Todd a call in the morning...

thanks for pointing that out...

Brian

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 87853
"guess I will be giving Todd a call in the morning."

Brian, it's worth keeping in mind that Lazy Daze charges $50 per "change order," whether that order has one change or half a dozen.
Since there's no danger of them starting to apply the tank insulation right away, it might be worth your while to wait a few days before making that call, and see whether there's anything else you want to add or change. (For example, extra electrical outlets are always a good idea). Otherwise, you could end up paying $50 multiple times for changes submitted at different times.

Andy Baird

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 87855
(For example, extra electrical outlets are always a good idea).
Brian,
 I remember seeing suggestions on adding additional 3-point set belts and an under sink T-connecter mentioned by several members here.

Think, for now, I am going to have same options as yours, minus the tank insulation, and add remote CD changer, outside shower, heated/power cab mirrors, extra outlets and a swamp cooler (if still available).

Wondering if LD still installs that famous heavy duty magazine rack. ;-)

Elaine

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 87856
I remember seeing suggestions on adding additional 3-point set belts
Sorry, it should be 3-point seat belts.

Elaine

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 87858
On Jan 3, 2008, at 21:52, Brian wrote:

whoops....  1+1=3...  I do seem to remember some of those negative comments....  guess I will be giving Todd a call in the morning...
Personally, I am very happy with the tank insulation I bought. It actually does work.  If you will be primarily south of I-40, it may not be worth the trouble. If you will be closer to I-90, in my opinion, it is essential.

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis (I-70)

Re: Holding tank insulation
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 87859

On Jan 3, 2008, at 21:52, Brian wrote:

Personally, I am very happy with the tank insulation I bought. It actually does work.  If you will be primarily south of I-40, it may
not be worth the trouble. If you will be closer to I-90, in my opinion, it is essential.

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis (I-70)
Dave, how have you been able to measure the effectiveness of the tank insulation?  Is probably true that the insulation may delay holding tank contents' freezing; the question seems to be how long will it delay it and is it worth the extra cost to try to prevent something that is inevitable.

Chris

Re: Availability of swamp cooler
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 87860
"...and a swamp cooler (if still

available)."

Elaine
Elaine, LD does not install swamp coolers anymore. If you want one as an aftermarket installation, here's a link to the folks that sell them: http://www.turbokool.com/

Chris

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 87863
"It's probably true that the insulation may delay holding tank contents' freezing; the question seems to be how long will it delay it and is it worth the extra cost to try to prevent something that is inevitable."
 Chris is right: if it stays below freezing for more than a few days, insulation won't stop the tanks from freezing.

But more to the point, LD's tank insulation does nothing to prevent the exposed *dump valves* from freezing, something that will happen long before the tanks freeze. I know--it's happened to me, despite insulated tanks. And once those valves freeze, it doesn't matter what state the contents of your tanks are in! ;-)
 If you're serious about cold-weather camping, you'll want to install heaters as Mike did. They are the only reliable way to prevent tank/pipe/valve freezing long-term. Tank insulation won't do it.
 And--here's the key point--if you ever do try to install heaters, LD's sprayed-on insulation will turn the job into an unbelievable mess.
Laboriously scraping all that stuff off while lying on your back under a rain of debris is a nightmare. It's bad enough just removing enough insulation to install external electronic tank sensors, as I did. Ugh!

Andy Baird

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 87866
"It's probably true that the insulation may delay holding tank contents' freezing; the question seems to be how long will it delay it and is it worth the extra cost to try to prevent something that is inevitable."
 Chris is right: if it stays below freezing for more than a few days, insulation won't stop the tanks from freezing.

But more to the point, LD's tank insulation does nothing to prevent the exposed *dump valves* from freezing, something that will happen long before the tanks freeze. I know--it's happened to me, despite insulated tanks. And once those valves freeze, it doesn't matter what state the contents of your tanks are in! ;-)
 If you're serious about cold-weather camping, you'll want to install heaters as Mike did. They are the only reliable way to prevent tank/pipe/valve freezing long-term. Tank insulation won't do it.

And--here's the key point--if you ever do try to install heaters,
LD's

sprayed-on insulation will turn the job into an unbelievable mess.
Laboriously scraping all that stuff off while lying on your back under a rain of debris is a nightmare. It's bad enough just removing enough insulation to install external electronic tank sensors, as I did.
Ugh!

no scraping needed....  I cancelled the insulation....

Thanks...

Brian

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 87871
Brian,

Congrats on your order!!

As Andy pointed out, it's good to get all your change orders itemized at once.

Here, from my experience are a few extra outlets you might consider adding:

Since you have a MB model, it's nice to have 12V outlets under the overhead cabinets in the rear "living room".  I got one and it's invaluable for things like plugging in a laptop while sitting in the "living room", and also for plugging in an electric blanket (as has been discussed on the forum).  Doing it over again, I'd get two, one in each rear passenger and driver side corner of the coach.

You also might want to consider one in the galley area.  I use a 12V blender with it.

In addition, I wish I'd added a 12V outlet in the head (bathroom).  It would have been very useful for plugging in rechargeable items such as electric shavers, toothbrushes, etc.  Of course, you'd need a tiny inverter, but it's nice to have the inverter and appliances in the bathroom, not, say on your dinette table, while charging.

With 120V outlets, I wish I had one in the shelf area behind the swing-out TV.  If I use a sat TV receiver or other AC appliance there, I have to currently run a plug up the wall next to the plastic pull-across curtain near the forward end of the "living room" (there's an AC outlet near the floor there).

Finally, you might want to see if you can get LD to add an AC outlet near the floor in the galley that's on the same circuit as the microwave.  One big limitation of the LD is that all the non-microwave outlets are on the same 15A circuit, so you can't run two electric 1500W heaters on full at the same time.
The microwave circuit is separate, so if you could tap into that, you'd be able to run two heaters at once.
If I want to do that I have to dangle a cord down from the opened overhead cabinet to the left of the microwave.  A floor level outlet would be way better.

Just things to consider!  :-)

-Michael

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.  http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 87874
On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 11:44:17 -0800 (PST), mike  wrote these inspiring words:

Finally, you might want to see if you can get LD to add an AC outlet near the floor in the galley that's on the same circuit as the microwave.  A floor level outlet would be way better.
I sure hope he has better luck on this than we did.

I also wanted one in the rear between the sofas at floor level.
Happily I was able to do it for the cost of an extension cord. I got one of those gadgets that plugs into an electrical outlet making it six outlets. I plugged the extension cord in and ran it under the driver side sofa. It's hidden and out of the way.

Home is where you roam Don & Dorothy, new to the cult Koko & Pelli

Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

AC Outlets
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 87880
Speaking of AC outlets: LD builds a fine coach and we all love our rigs, but the folks at LD need to rethink their archaic logic when placing AC outlets "in the ceiling." Nothing could be more inconvenient or cumbersome with cords dangling about. In both the dinette and rear sofa areas, I've pulled up a few false cabinet bottoms and "dug into" some wall areas to run wiring and neatly place the outlets near the floor -where they belong. And, because the LD's are built from the ground up, it baffles me as to why they continue this practice.

Re: AC Outlets
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 87881
Quote from: Richard Quirk"

Speaking of AC outlets: LD builds a fine coach and we all love our rigs, but the folks at LD need to rethink their archaic logic when placing AC outlets "in the ceiling." Nothing could be more inconvenient.

I agree.  After a half year of owning and using our new 26.5 MB, the only real bur under my saddle is the fact that the factory did not put an AC outlet anywhere close to the rear entertainment center.  The TV is run of DC and there is a DC outlet in the entertainment, but if you are parked and have shore power and want to watch a movie on a DVD player or plug in a satellite receiver, you have to run an extension cord out of the entertainment center and down the wall to the closest AC outlet which is near the bathroom.  Sure seems like there should be an AC outlet next to the DC outlet in the entertainment center.

Larry in South Texas
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 87884
On Jan 4, 2008, at 10:40, Chris Horst wrote:

Dave, how have you been able to measure the effectiveness of the tank insulation?
I haven't really, except that my tanks have never frozen during winter camping.

Is probably true that the insulation may delay holding tank contents' freezing; the question seems to be how long will it delay it and is it worth the extra cost to try to prevent something that is inevitable.
If you are living in the vehicle and a reasonable temp set inside, I am guessing you should fine down to zero anyway. Admittedly, I have not been out camping at zero to confirm. But I have been camping in 10-20 degree weather and never had a problem.

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 87886
On Jan 4, 2008, at 13:08, Andy Baird wrote:

On my '06, the insulating goo goes right to the end. The handle is not covered of course, but everything else is.

The only problem with that is I am much more likely to boondock in the winter and have no power.  Therefore, I'd be in trouble sooner with non-powered heaters than with insulation.

I may live to regret it if I ever need to perform any kind of tank service, but for me, in Indiana, it was a no brainer to go for the insulation. I'd do it again in a minute.  If I lived/camped 400 miles south, maybe not.

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis

Re: AC Outlets
Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 87887
Larry,
 It's relatively easy to run AC to the entertainment area in the MB. You'll want to tap into the outlet that's near the floor by the shower. You can snake a wire down from a hole drilled into the shower wall from the shelf by the TV. Remove the access panel at the forward end of the driver side couch back rest. This provides a half way point for fishing the cable.
 I think I did a post on this earlier and photos in the Yonder album . . . at least I think I did.

bumper Yonder Minden, NV . . . where the rain is turning to snow for our big storm.
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 87890
I'm with you, Dave. I got the insulated tanks on my 05 MB. I managed to hit a high corner curb with the black water tank outlet at my house. It caused a "drip-drip" leak at the tank connections.
 This is a spin-weld threaded connection - - they spin the fitting into a hole in the tank and the friction welds (fuses) the fitting to the tank.
This area was foam insulated by the factory, so the foam had to be removed.
It was simple to do so with a putty knife followed with a hand wire brush - - no problem at all.
 Nor was fixing the leak that the factory said I'd have to return to have them do. I fashioned a thin blade type soldering iron tip for a transformer type Weller soldering gun. Then passed that thin tip between the fitting flange and the tank. This heated and rewelded the plastic, the molten plastic flowing back together after the tip passed.
 Oh, I then sprayed some of that aerosol insulation foam to cover the fitting back up again.
 Bare or insulated? I think a good argument can be made for either way.

bumper Yonder Minden
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 87902
Dave,
 Perhaps you keep your LD warmer than we do in cold temperatures, but my experience with cold-weather camping in the LD had been different.
 While camping in NH in our daughter's driveway the nighttime temperatures went down to about 18 degrees Fahrenheit during the night.  We ran a cube heater which would maintain an indoor/outdoor differential of about 20 degrees full time, and the furnace only occasionally when we were sitting in the LD.
 We had the holding tanks, dump valves, and (one time), the shower drain freeze up.

Barry 2001 Red RB, TX Where are we?  http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=122