Skip to main content
Topic: Another CB question... (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Another CB question...
Yahoo Message Number: 87750
As I am getting ready to place my order, I have been contemplating the CB.  I have done some searching and read some past comments....  can someone tell me where the antenna is mounted when the cb option is selected?  Compared to other models, how is the performance?  And lastly, given that the antenna run is probably the most difficult part of the aftermarket installation....  could the antenna run be used with a different cb as well?

Re: Another CB question...
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 87753
"Can someone tell me where the antenna is mounted when the cb option is selected?"
 Just aft of the escape hatch, which is to say a few feet back from the front of the roof.

"Compared to other models, how is the performance?"

Dunno; I haven't compared.

"could the antenna run be used with a different cb as well?"

Oh, absolutely! The factory-installed antenna and cabling will work with any CB model.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 87754
"As I am getting ready to place my order, I have been contemplating the CB.  I have done some searching and read some past comments....  can someone tell me where the antenna is mounted when the cb option is selected?  Compared to other models, how is the performance?  And lastly, given that the antenna run is probably the most difficult part of the aftermarket installation....  could the antenna run be used with a different cb as well?"
 On our '02 30' the CB antenna is mounted on the driver's front side of the roof, about 2' from the side and 1' from the front. I suspect placement of the CB antenna depends on what roof-added options one might order.  My CB has always performed well but I don't have anything to compare it with.
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 87755
"Can someone tell me where the antenna is mounted when the cb option is selected?"

Just aft of the escape hatch, which is to say a few feet back from the front of the roof.

"Compared to other models, how is the performance?"

Dunno; I haven't compared.

"could the antenna run be used with a different cb as well?"

Oh, absolutely! The factory-installed antenna and cabling will work with any CB model.

Andy, you have the 26 1/2 MB correct?  If so, it may be safe to assume the location should be the same on the new 27' MB

I have found the same cb on other sites for about $120... w/ no antenna or coax...  LD wants $300 as an option and given the difficulty of aftermarket installation and/or pro installation... seems to be a worthy addition.  In addition....  if there was a need/desire to swap units....  the antenna run is already there....

Brian

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 87757
"Andy, you have the 26 1/2 MB correct?"

Yes, I have a 2003 midbath. Sorry, I should have said that. And I'm guessing that it's unlikely they'd change the antenna location on newer models.

"LD wants $300 as an option and given the difficulty of aftermarket installation and/or pro installation... seems to be a worthy addition."

I agree. It would be a major pain to retrofit a roof-mounted CB antenna to a rig that didn't have one... and very difficult to do it neatly. The factory's $300 charge for radio antenna and (most importamt) installation is a good value.
 And I personally feel that a CB is a good thing for every RV to have.
Not only is it a required item for caravans and rallies, but it's a valuable safety device that can be used to find out about road conditions and to call for help even when out of cell phone range.
Moreover, the CB that Lazy Daze installs includes a weather radio--another safety feature. I think everybody ought to have one of these.

Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 87758
On Dec 31, 2007, at 22:35, Brian wrote:

I have found the same cb on other sites for about $120... w/ no antenna or coax...  LD wants $300 as an option and given the difficulty of aftermarket installation and/or pro installation... seems to be a worthy addition.  In addition....  if there was a need/desire to swap units....  the antenna run is already there....
I always thought the installed price of that unit was reasonable. But if you want something different, simply discuss with SteveN at the time of the order.  I did not want the CB at all myself, but I did want a couple of antenna mounts topside with cables to two different locations inside.  I think I had to pay about $100 each for labor to install.  I had to provide the cable. But they did accomodate the request. My only regret is that I should have run four instead of two.

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 87759
"Andy, you have the 26 1/2 MB correct?"

Yes, I have a 2003 midbath. Sorry, I should have said that. And I'm guessing that it's unlikely they'd change the antenna location on newer models.

"LD wants $300 as an option and given the difficulty of aftermarket installation and/or pro installation... seems to be a worthy
addition."

I agree. It would be a major pain to retrofit a roof-mounted CB antenna to a rig that didn't have one... and very difficult to do it neatly. The factory's $300 charge for radio antenna and (most importamt) installation is a good value.

And I personally feel that a CB is a good thing for every RV to
have.

Not only is it a required item for caravans and rallies, but it's a valuable safety device that can be used to find out about road conditions and to call for help even when out of cell phone range.
Moreover, the CB that Lazy Daze installs includes a weather radio--another safety feature. I think everybody ought to have one of these.

I agree with that....

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 87763
Dave,

What are you using for the CB replacement?  How are you planning to use those extra antenna mounts you had LD installed?  Just wondering how many should I order to prepare for future needs.  Did you have them reenforce the roof?

TIA for your advise.

Elaine

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 87764
I do not have a CB.  Total waste IMO.  I had them install additional mounts for VHF/UHF Ham antennas. One fed to under the drivers seat, the second to the cabinet above the dinette (that is where most of my radio gear is located).  No roof reinforcement was necessary for those (very small) antennas.  But I did have them add additional blocking in the roof over near the refrigerator vent for future hardware.  LD provided me photos of the roof construction before the skin went on so I will know where to drill.

-Dave

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 87769
Dave Gingrich  wrote: "I do not have a CB. Total waste IMO." ---- Having a CB is definitely one of those "YMMV" questions; for some, it may be of limited use or no use at all, but, for others, a CB can be an essential communication tool; it all depends on one's travel style. I use mine primarily for two purposes: for traffic and road information from truckers, and for easy and convenient communication with a travel companion(s) in another RV if I happen to be "caravanning". Additionally, the newer CBs offer NOAA weather channels; having this information easily and "instantly" accessible while driving down the road is very handy.

Again, one's choices of options/"upgrades"/toys/whatever should reflect one's personal travel and camping styles; obviously, what's important or "absolutely essential" for one person is of little or no interest to another.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 87771
I do not have a CB.  Total waste IMO.
-Dave
There used to be an old BBS tagline that said "Dismissist misinformation abounds."

I have a CB. If one intends to ever attend a Lazy Daze caravan AND win prizes, learn schedules/changes or simply socialize, then IMO it is a necessity.  If not, I would probably lean toward just using my ten meter rig that covers the 11 meter band quite nicely.
 On the road, especially in the Southern states, it provided us hours of entertainment simply by listening to the rather colorful languages and attempting to translate them into english, plus it occasionally gave us road and strict police enforcement warnings, albeit rare.

Oh, and I've been a radio amateur 50+ years this year, an Amateur Extra since 1967 and a member of PVRC, the well known contest club, since 1969.  I would think  "class distinction" would be long over with.  I guess not... 8(

Don  WA6WKL ex WA3LKH ex KJ0P

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 87799
On Jan 1, 2008, at 11:32, Don Anderson wrote:

I would think  "class distinction" would be long over with.  I guess not... 8(
It has nothing to do with class distinction.  I simply could not imagine in my wildest imagination ever turning it on.  Therefore a total waste for me  (that is what IMO means).  We travel alone, don't do caravans, and think the most valuable campground feature is the only vehicle in site being our toad.  If my wife and I get tired of using our callsigns, we pull out a couple of MURS VHF radios that are unlicensed and can be operated much more casually than any Ham gear.
Although I do really like throwing a wire up in a tree and firing up the IC-7000 on 20 meters (have the head mounted permanently at the dinette table)    :)

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis, K9DC