Skip to main content
Topic: battery replacments (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
battery replacments
Yahoo Message Number: 87665
I might be replacing the batteries on my 1982 ld in the near future . what I am unsure of is the house battery and starting battery supposed to be the same or is one a reg battery and just the house battery a deep cycle ?

Re: battery replacments
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 87672
Generally speaking that's how it is.  Deep cycle for the house and just a regular car battery for the motor.  The Deep cycles are designed to be drawn on with smaller amperages for long amounts of time, like what happens while camping in your motor home.  While the car batteries are designed to give a larger amp load for starting your vehicle in short bursts.  I am assuming that your 82 doesn't have twin 6 volts for the house batteries?  This is the ideal or relatively ideal based on expense versus performance for house batteries.  If you have space for two house batteries I highly recommend switching to twin 6 volts.  Your amp hours are about 4x as much as using a single 12 volt.  It is actually a very easy conversion if you have room for two batteries.  It just requires one short cable to hook the two batteries together then the positive and negative that already exist are hooked one to each battery.