Skip to main content
Topic: Filling Fresh Water Tank (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Filling Fresh Water Tank
Yahoo Message Number: 87595
For whatever reason I feel stupid asking this, but my question is.   Planning trip up coast of CA and when looking into and making reservations for CA state parks (located on the beach) some if not many indicate "no drinking water".  They all seem to have dumps.  Some if not many offer hook ups.  What does one do to refill fresh water tank?  Had hoped to avoid as many private campgrounds a possible.  How is it that you fill your water tank without going into a private campground or non-beach public park?

Henry

Re: Filling Fresh Water Tank
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 87596
Henry

A call might be in order, but often when we were camping in California there would be water at the campground but not at the site itself.  Maybe that's it?  Give them a call to be sure

And have a great time

Kate

http://cholulared.blogspot.com &

http://www.cholulared.com

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 87597
"Henry  Parker"  wrote: "...looking into and making reservations for CA state parks (located on the beach) some if not many indicate "no drinking water".  They all seem to have dumps.  Some if not many offer hook ups.  What does one do to refill fresh water tank?" --- Henry, you might want to check (if you haven't already) the California state parks website -- www.parks.ca.gov -- and look at the facilities offered for the *specific* state beaches that you're interested in.  In my experience, *very few* (of any CA state parks, beach or other) offer hookups, and most don't have dump stations.
Most *do* have drinking water, but not at every site; usually, there is a more-or-less centrally-located spigot that serves a few campsites. And, the spigot *may* not be threaded; in a pinch, you can use a "water thief", but this is really a time-consuming pain and blocking the road to fill your tank will make you really unpopular! ;-)  If the park has a day use area, check there, too; day use areas often have a water spigot that you might be able to reach.

Here are two common "take on fresh water" options if there's no convenient campground hook-up or a potable water fill offered at the campground dump station, if any:

1.  If you don't want to spend the night at an RV park, pull into a  convenient one and ask if they have a dump station and if it offers  potable water.  They may charge you a small fee, but that's fair!  
2.  Before you fill up with gas at a station, go inside and ask if
 they have an easily-accessible outside faucet that you can use to take on water if you buy a tank of gas.

Others will probably suggest other options; good luck.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 87598
Henry, I do lots of boondock style camping and if you start noticing them, there are tons of places to fill up with water.  I always drive with only a minimum amount of aqua on board, no reason to haul the weight around.  I usually drive through a town close to where I am going and fill it up.  RV parks work well, churches usually have large parking lots and spigots, hotel-motels also usually have spigots on them.  Gas stations are usually a good place as well.  I've even stopped in front of someones house and asked them if I could fill up before.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 87602
Thanks to all who offered suggestions.  I had looked at the California state parks website, specifically Carpentaria and Moro Bay state beach campgrounds and noticed that they both listed drinking water as not being available.  That is why I posted the question. Not so much interested in water, dump or electricity being at individual campsites but was hoping to be able to fill the tank from a central spigot that might be available to campers.  Locally in San Diego County Parks, many do not have water at the camp sight, but will offer water at the park so you can fill up on the way in.  Will contact each of the California parks mentioned via phone and see what they say.
Thanks again

Henry

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 87608
Thanks to all who offered suggestions.  I had looked at the
California state parks website,

specifically Carpentaria and Moro Bay state beach campgrounds and
noticed that they both

listed drinking water as not being available.
Henry, I go to Carpenteria all the time and they DO have water available. There are full hookup sites, ones with water and electric, amd some with water spigots.

Jerry
2000 30IB
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 87612
Henry, I go to Carpenteria all the time and they DO have water available. There are full hookup sites, ones with water and electric, amd some with water spigots.
Jerry, Thanks for the correct information.  I must have misread the Icon Legend Henry

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 87618
"Henry  Parker"  wrote: "specifically Carpentaria and Moro Bay state beach campgrounds and noticed that they both listed drinking water as not being available." --- Henry, Jerry answered about Carpenteria SB, and I know that Morro Bay SB has fresh water available; as I remember, there's a fresh water fill at the dump station and several spigots located throughout the campground.  You can call the state campgrounds, but don't be surprised if nobody answers.  Weekends are a better bet for actually talking to a human presence.  Hope you have a good trip.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home