Skip to main content
Topic: Cooper Tires v Others? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Cooper Tires v Others?
Yahoo Message Number: 87561
We had a blowout tonight on one of the rear tires in almost downtown LA.  We heard the "bang" and immediately pulled off the freeway.
Called up Good Sams, they referred us to a repair center that carried only Coopers tires.  We have Michelins now.  The service representative said they do not carry Michelins as most people will not spend the money for the brand name.  "A tire is a tire..." Comments?  Thanks.

Re: Cooper Tires v Others?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 87562
The service representative said they do not carry Michelins as most people will not spend the money for the brand name.  "A tire is a tire..." Comments?  Thanks.
Yup, sure 'nuff.  A tire is a tire just like a class C is a class C.
Why spend money and wait months for a "Lazy Daze" when you can go down to your nearest RV discount dealer and buy one of those cute little Windybungles and drive it home?

The service place made a choice. Why sell slow moving high priced inventory when you can sell cheaper tires in volume?  Now it's your turn to make a choice.

Don

Re: Cooper Tires v Others?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 87565
"Steven E. Holmstrom"  wrote: "The service representative said they do not carry Michelins as most people will not spend the money for the brand name. "A tire is a tire..." " --- Well, the guy is probably right about many people not wanting to pay for a "brand name", but the "tire is a tire" comment is one of the reasons for my low opinion of the knowledge and competence levels of a lot of tire shops.

Cooper tires did have some significant "quality control" issues in the past, especially around 2001-2002; I would think that Cooper has resolved these manufacturing problems in recent years, but I don't know the current quality level of their overall product line, and especially of their load range E "light truck" tires that would be appropriate for your LD.  If you decide to go with this brand, you might want to go to their website and look carefully at the tire appellation/rating chart to make sure that you get the correct tire (s) for your needs; I sure wouldn't trust that "a tire is a tire" guy to make the choice for you!
 JMHO, but I suggest finding another shop which carries a wider brand choice, has experience with the special tire needs of trucks/motorhomes, and lacks the "a tire is a tire" attitude!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home