Skip to main content
Topic: Progressive Dynamics PD9260C mode selection problems (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Progressive Dynamics PD9260C mode selection problems
Yahoo Message Number: 87435
This is a question to all those who have swapped their Parallax charger/converter to the Progressive Dynamics charger/converter.  I have the 9200 series but this question also applies to those that have the 9100 series with the charge wizard via the pendant.  I have noticed that every time I plug into shore power my manual mode selection pendant indicates that I am in boost mode.  I can verify this by looking at my XBM monitor.  Now this happens regardless of what my batteries state of charge is.  It could be at %90+ or %50.  I have assumed that the charger would drop down based on the batteries sate of charge in a few minutes but have always manually put it into standard or float charge depending on the batteries' state of charge.

Yesterday, after coming home from a short trip I plugged it in and forgot to check the charger pendant.  I remebered to check the pendant about 9 hours later.  I went outside and was shocked to see that it was still in boost mode.  I could hear the bubbling of the batteries.  I quickly put it into float mode.  When I started the engine to head home the monitor read about %60 and the engine had run for about 1 to 1.5 hours for the ride home.

Luckily I keep the water topped off, because this morning I checked the water and it took 4 or 5 squeezes of the Profill bulb.  I did verify before hand that the water did not go below the top of any of the cells.  Normally it takes less than one a month and I had filled it last weekend.
 Have any of you out there noticed their Progressive Dynamics charger goes into boost and stays there this long?  Does your charger consider the batteries state of charge?  The manual says it should be in boost mode for about 4 hours.
 Up until now I have been completly happy with this charger as it will charge my batteries much faster than the Parralax one ever did. I think this condition could potentially be dangerous, and have sent an email to PD's tech support.  As it is Xmas Eve I am assuming they are closed so I am posing these questions to this group.

http://tinyurl.com/ypooul

Geno

Westminster, CA

Follow-up to: Progressive Dynamics PD9260C mode selection problems
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 87804
I called tech support and was told that this problem does happen.  The tech told me that it could be a rare situation where the controller gets locked up.  He also recomended that I disconnect all power (house battery and AC shore power) from the charger every other month or so.
This is to re-boot the charger.  While I have always manually selected the mode based on my readings from my XBM monitor, I have confrmed that the charger will switch modes down from boost.  I tested this by running the batteries down to %50 and letting the charger run its course.  After about 4 hours it did eventually go into normal mode (blinking.)

While I am not too happy that the charger has this glitch I do feel better that the charger does function normally.  Hopefully you other Progressive Dynamics owners will find this information usefull.

Geno

Westminster, CA

Re: Follow-up to: Progressive Dynamics PD9260C mode selection proble
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 87806
"He also recomended that I disconnect all power (house battery and AC shore power) from the charger every other month or so. This is to re-boot the charger."
 Disconnecting shore power is easy enough, but unless the charger has a heckuva big DC input connector, it seems as if disconnecting the house batteries would mean messing with some heavy cables.
 That raises the possibility of accidental shorting as you disconnect and reconnect those battery cables, which could weld things together and/or start a fire. (Not to mention the inconvenience of losing power, if you're using the rig.) And you're supposed to do this half a dozen times every year, or risk cooked batteries???
 I don't want to be too harsh, but to me, that's a MAJOR design defect! In my humble opinion, this is clear grounds for a recall. I think they owe you and their other customers a fix, pronto. I'm guessing that it could be as simple as a ROM swap on the controller board... but whatever it takes, the present situation is really unacceptable.
That's my two cents' worth, anyway. I'd lean hard on them until they deliver a solution.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 87807
Disconnecting shore power is easy enough, but unless the charger has a heckuva big DC input connector, it seems as if disconnecting the house batteries would mean messing with some heavy cables.
Actually all one needs to do is disconnect a negative battery cable from the house batteries, or if you have a battery switch, disconnect the house batteries with that.

Not a particularly dangerous operation.

BTW, when I upgraded my converter, I considered the PD then chose another brand because I feared potential complications involving the charge wizard.

Tom Johnston

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 87813
On Jan 1, 2008, at 22:46, Geno wrote:

I called tech support and was told that this problem does happen.  The tech told me that it could be a rare situation where the controller gets locked up.  He also recomended that I disconnect all power (house battery and AC shore power) from the charger every other month or so.
This is to re-boot the charger.
What kind of nonsense is that for crying out loud! .  That should be a *never ever* requirement.  I have computers that have not been rebooted in two years.  A battery charger?   BillG has trained us well I guess

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 87814
"What kind of nonsense is that for crying out loud! .  That should be a *never ever* requirement.  I have computers that have not
been rebooted in two years.  A battery charger?  BillG has trained us well I guess "

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis
Dave, who is BillG?

Chris Arvada, CO 2002 30'
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 87815
Dave, who is BillG?

Chris,
Could it be that guy at Microsoft? ;) Malcolm
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 87816
Chris,

I'm not Dave or play one on TV.  However, BiilG,  which I say as "bilge", is Bill Gates and is an indirect reference to Microsoft Windows well known for Re-boot, Re-format and Re-install not to mention the "Blue screen of death".  And, it's always your fault!

Alex Rutchka
'05 MB, SE #4

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 87817
Chris,

"I'm not Dave or play one on TV.  However, BiilG,  which I say as "bilge", is Bill Gates and is an indirect reference to Microsoft Windows well known for Re-boot, Re-format and Re-install not to mention the "Blue screen of death".  And, it's always your fault!"

Alex Rutchka '05 MB, SE #4

On Jan 2, 2008, at 10:18 AM, Chris Horst wrote:

Dave, who is BillG?

Chris Arvada, CO
Alex, thanks.  I shoulda figured that one out!

Chris (feeling addled this morning)
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 87818
"Chris Horst" chorst_2000@...> authored in part:

'Alex, thanks.  I shoulda figured that one out!

Chris (feeling addled this morning)'

Chris,
 Feeling addled this morning?  Its January 2nd...  Recovery time is slower as we get older, your entitled to feel addled.
 Personally. I can't recall the number of the train that hit me, but there is a faint memory of the initials "B & B."  (I probably could use a reboot about now :>)

Slammy5150/Paul

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]