Skip to main content
Topic: crock pot and voltage (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
crock pot and voltage
Yahoo Message Number: 87344
My daughter is buying me a crock pot for Christmas for my RV travels( I think and hope). I have never used one but have heard that they are great for the RV.  The question came up about what size (I am thinking 2 qt as it is just me) and more importantly should it be 12 volt or 110?  Any thoughts on this? Judy Allen Florida Just 3 months til I start my year long adventure!

Re: crock pot and voltage
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 87347
Judy:
 I have a Rival 4-quart crockpot standard 110v...unless your plans call for you to be boondocking on a regular basis (such as Andy and Kate & Terry), I can't see the need to get 12v (if there is such a thing).
 The 4-quart is advertised as sized for 3-4 people...and that is just about right and it does fit in the sink for clean up...I don't cook anything fancy...usually meat and veggies of all descrips, beans (black are our fave), and whatever else I find as I go along.  I don't use the crockpot while we're underway, but rather when we're in one spot for a period of time and the weather is right (cool).
 The I have fits nicely under the dinette seat (the one adjacent to passenger seat) in its box...do flip the lid upside down and use some of that shelf padding to baffle the it...I also use lots of plastic grocery bags to keep the pot from shifting-rattling -chipping while we're underway.

TinaP Juno Beach, FL NE 59
 judymallen10 judymallen10@...> wrote:                               My daughter is buying me a crock pot for Christmas for my RV travels( I think and hope). I have never used one but have heard that they are great for the RV.  The question came up about what size (I am thinking 2 qt as it is just me) and more importantly should it be 12 volt or 110?  Any thoughts on this? Judy Allen Florida Just 3 months til I start my year long adventure!

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
2006 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 87348
great for the RV.  The question came up about what size (I am thinking 2 qt as it is just me) and more importantly should it be 12 volt or 110?  Any thoughts on this?
Like Tina, I have no idea if a 12V model is available - but let's assume it is. In that case, the logic would be to use it when not connected to shorepower. You would have to connect it to a 12V accessory outlet, which are limited to about 10 Amps max, or about 120 Watts. If this fit the requirements of the crockpot, then it would have to be miniscule to be able to attain a safe cooking temperature with so little energy input. In addition, it would deplete your house batteries by 1/4 or more in a typical long cooking session, all by itself. Your battery bank can only store a tiny fraction of the energy your propane tank holds, and its power output is likewise far less.
For extended slow cooking while dry-camped, use a pot on the stove. If you frequent campgrounds with hookups, a crock-pot running on shorepower (120VAC) is a good choice.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 87349
We also travel with an electric crockpot, which I use when we have shore power.  When we are dry camping, I use a pressure cooker, much faster and less power wasted.  Both work great in different scenarios (similar recipes).

Kate
 http://cholulared.blogspot.com &

http://www.cholulared.com

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 87354
My daughter is buying me a crock pot for Christmas for my RV travels( I think and hope). I have never used one but have heard that they are great for the RV.  The question came up about what size (I am thinking 2 qt as it is just me) and more importantly should it be 12 volt or 110?  Any thoughts on this? Judy Allen Florida Just 3 months til I start my year long adventure!
Like the others, I wouldn't recommend a crock pot while boondocking.
They would consume too many amp-hours of power.  We will occasionally take one when we are going to have shore power.  We do know people that will run one off an inverter when they are going to have long driving days (well secured of course!).  I doubt a 12VDC model (if even available) would work all that well.  Better off with a 110VAC model and use it when power is available.  I'd look for one that fits in the sink with a little padding to cushion and secure it.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 87357
"My daughter is buying me a crock pot for Christmas for my RV travels... the LD has a solar panel and an inverter as I am planning on doing a lot of boondocking."
 To recap what others have said: a normal 120V Crock-Pot draws too much power to be practical for boondocking, even with a solar panel. So does a 12V version, and besides, those are pitifully small.
 The Nissan/Thermos and Sunpentown thermal cookers are ideal, because once you heat up the pot on the stove, there's no further energy usage for the next six or eight hours--the insulation keeps in the heat while your food cooks.
 The only drawback is cost: the Sunpentown cooker is about $50 and the Nissan version is around $100. That's much more than a conventional Crock-Pot... but for an RVer, it's well worth it!
 You can read more about my own Nissan thermal cooker on this page of my website:

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie/improv_kitchen.htm>

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 87358
Well, shucks.  These were not the answer I was looking for.  I had visions of me driving down the road with my dinner cooking as I traveled! Guess it was a good idea to ask the experts.  Wendy, my daughter,  says she saw one that used 12v and plugged into the cigarette lighter and also one that used propane.
Thanks for all the info.  I am not sure I understand all this electricity thing.  Can you use 110V only when you are plugged into shore power or running the generator, even if you have an inverter? I feel like such a newbie.
Judy

Kate Klein kate@...> wrote: We also travel with an electric crockpot, which I use when we have shore power. When we are dry camping, I use a pressure cooker, much faster and less power wasted. Both work great in different scenarios (similar recipes).

Kate

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

Looking for last minute shopping deals?  Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 87359
  Guess it was a good idea to ask the experts.  Wendy, my daughter,
says she saw one that used 12v and plugged into the cigarette lighter and also one that used propane.

Thanks for all the info.  I am not sure I understand all this
electricity thing.  Can you use 110V only when you are plugged into shore power or running the generator, even if you have an inverter?
 Using an inverter only adds a bit to the power consumption off 12V - not a solution here. A propane one undoubtedly uses a small propane cylinder, and that could be fun in a campground - but not advised enroute. You could use a 110V crockpot enroute with the generator on, but it would be an inefficient use of gasoline - for 5 hrs or so until the meal is done.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 87360
"I had visions of me driving down the road with my dinner cooking as I traveled!"
 And with the Nissan/Thermos or Sunpentown thermal cookers, you can do exactly that. They work just like a Crock-Pot, but without the need for electricity.

"I am not sure I understand all this electricity thing. Can you use 110V only when you are plugged into shore power or running the generator, even if you have an inverter?"

The inverter changes your battery power to 120VAC, so in theory you can do the same things with an inverter as when plugged in or running the genset.

However, there are two important limitations: first, the inverter doesn't *make* power, it simply converts 12VDC from your batteries into a different form. As Steve pointed out, with heavy loads like cooking appliances, this can drain your batteries pretty quickly, and in the case of a Crock-Pot, your single solar panel doesn't yield enough power to offset the loss. And second, most inverters can only handle small loads such as TVs or DVD players. Most cooking appliances require too much power for the typical 300W inverter found in a Lazy Daze.

A 12V Crock-Pot-style cooker is no better in this regard, just physically smaller. It still uses a lot of power, and will significantly drain your batteries over the 6-8 hours needed for cooking.

A propane-powered cooker makes no sense for you. Besides being inefficient and bulky, it's unnecessary. You already have an excellent propane-powered heat source: your stove. When you heat up a pot full of food and slip it into a thermal cooker's super-insulated jacket, the food continues to cook without needing a heat source (electricity or propane).
 That's why these thermal cookers are ideal for RVers: ten or fifteen minutes on the stove is all the energy it takes; the rest of the cooking time is free. You can start your meal in the morning and then drive to your destination, knowing it will be cooked by the time you get there. Or you can cook overnight, as I often do with soup or stews, and then in the morning, decant the cooker's contents into freezer containers, so you always have a stockpile of ready-to-eat homemade food. :-)

Andy Baird

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 87362
"I had visions of me driving down the road with my dinner cooking
as I

traveled!"

And with the Nissan/Thermos or Sunpentown thermal cookers, you can do exactly that. They work just like a Crock-Pot, but without the need for electricity.

"I am not sure I understand all this electricity thing. Can you use 110V only when you are plugged into shore power or running the generator, even if you have an inverter?"

The inverter changes your battery power to 120VAC, so in theory you can do the same things with an inverter as when plugged in or running the genset.

However, there are two important limitations: first, the inverter doesn't *make* power, it simply converts 12VDC from your batteries into a different form. As Steve pointed out, with heavy loads like cooking appliances, this can drain your batteries pretty quickly, and in the case of a Crock-Pot, your single solar panel doesn't yield enough power to offset the loss. And second, most inverters can only handle small loads such as TVs or DVD players. Most cooking appliances require too much power for the typical 300W inverter found in a
Lazy Daze.

A 12V Crock-Pot-style cooker is no better in this regard, just physically smaller. It still uses a lot of power, and will significantly drain your batteries over the 6-8 hours needed for
cooking.

A propane-powered cooker makes no sense for you. Besides being inefficient and bulky, it's unnecessary. You already have an excellent propane-powered heat source: your stove. When you heat up a pot full of food and slip it into a thermal cooker's super-insulated jacket, the food continues to cook without needing a heat source
(electricity

or propane).
 That's why these thermal cookers are ideal for RVers: ten or fifteen minutes on the stove is all the energy it takes; the rest of the cooking time is free. You can start your meal in the morning and then drive to your destination, knowing it will be cooked by the time you get there. Or you can cook overnight, as I often do with soup or stews, and then in the morning, decant the cooker's contents into freezer containers, so you always have a stockpile of ready-to-eat homemade food. :-)

http://www.preparedplanet.com/Nissan%20Cookware.html

these guys may have the thermal cooker...  I gave them a call to inquire of availability as I have been following this discussion.  I have a Nissan thermos and it will keep coffee hot for aan entire day so I can only imagine the quality is the same...

Brian

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 87363
http://www.preparedplanet.com/Nissan%20Cookware.html

these guys may have the thermal cooker...   I gave them a call to inquire of availability as I have been following this discussion.  I have a Nissan thermos and it will keep coffee hot for aan entire day so I can only imagine the quality is the same...

Brian
oops....  I forgot to mention I left a message and am waiting on a call back...

Brian

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 87364
"I am not sure I understand all this electricity thing. Can you use 110V only when you are plugged into shore power or running the generator, even if you have an inverter? I feel like such a newbie. "

Judy

Boy can I ever relate to this statement.  I remember when I didn't understand ANY of this, and I am still somewhat near the low end of this whole RV learning scale, but I'll attempt to help a bit.

OOPS!  I just saw that Andy pretty well explained the whole thing.
 I would like to add a bit about my experience with the Thermal Cooker (I've used both the Nissan and the Sunpentown and found them to both work the same).

While everyone says just bring it up to heat one time and let it go for 8 or so hours, I just didn't like this.  While it was fine for soup or something that didn't have a lot of mass, I always would bring it back up to the boil  every 4 hours or so.  Now I tend to cook pretty dense meat or chicken stews so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but for me, I would always do this.

Everyone else says just heat it the one time, so I guess that works for everyone else, I just thought I'd mention my experiences.

Kate

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 87369
However, there are two important limitations: first, the inverter doesn't *make* power, it simply converts 12VDC from your batteries into a different form. As Steve pointed out, with heavy loads like cooking appliances, this can drain your batteries pretty quickly, and in the case of a Crock-Pot, your single solar panel doesn't yield enough power to offset the loss. And second, most inverters can only handle small loads such as TVs or DVD players. Most cooking appliances require too much power for the typical 300W inverter found in a Lazy
Daze.

Well, I don't think one should rule out using an inverter to run a crock pot while driving.  We have a pretty run-of-the-mill crock pot at home.  The sticker on the bottom indicates that on low it draws 130 watts and on high 200 watts.  When cooking pot roasts at home, the low setting provides plenty of heat.  Above 130 watts you would have to use a hardwired inverter, and the load on the alternator may become a concern. Just don't leave the inverter running on batteries only, for an extended period.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 87378
"Wow!  84% of this evening's email digest of 25 messages dealt with crock pots."

Ted H.
Ted, you have entirely too much leisure time on your hands if you are doing those kinds of calculations.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 87379
"My daughter is buying me a crock pot for Christmas for my RV travels"

I also have the Nissan Thermal cooker/crock pot.  I use it while driving and highly recommend it.  However, it does have it's limitations.  Unlike, a traditional electric crockpot, the Nissan Thermal needs a lot of liquid in it so it's best for soups and stews.
I just made chicken paprika in my electric crockpot.  I would not have been able to make this in the Nissan Thermal.  I also had a disasterous experience when I first got the Nissan.  I tried a new recipe which had pork and sweet potatoes in it.  There was not enough liquid.  It wasn't cooked and I had to throw everything out.  For boondocking, I highly recommend the Nissan Thermal.  I also had made corn beef and cabbage in it and that turned out great.

Monica NE 10
Monica
2017 MB

crock pot and voltage
Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 87380
Wow!  84% of this evening's email digest of 25 messages dealt with crock pots.

Ted H.
Well, at least they wern't crackpots.
TJ

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 87381
Or Crack Heads!

Slammy5150

Tom Johnston johnstn@...> wrote:

> Wow!  84% of this evening's email digest of 25 messages dealt with crock > pots.

Ted H.
Well, at least they wern't crackpots.
TJ

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 87451
Hello Judy,
 I am alone and for the last 5 years have used a crock pot a lot (4 qt at home and 3qt in the RV - both Hamilton Beach and cost about $25 each).  Mine draws about 155w, which I run off of a 350w inverter.  I use the inverter when driving and the engine keeps the coach batteries charged - so I prepare the ingredients either the night before or that morning and cook while driving.  If not driving that day I use shore power or if running the air (live in Florida) I'll cook from the generator power.  I don't run the generator for 6-10 hours just to power the crock pot by itself.

I find it is easy, inexpensive and provides good food (freeze leftovers) and the house or RV smells great from cooking.

Good luck! - Brent

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 87573
I am alone and for the last 5 years have used a crock pot a lot (4 qt at home and 3qt in the RV - both Hamilton Beach and cost about $25 each).  Mine draws about 155w, which I run off of a 350w
inverter.  I

use the inverter when driving and the engine keeps the coach batteries charged - so I prepare the ingredients either the night before or that morning and cook while driving.  If not driving that day I use shore power or if running the air (live in Florida) I'll cook from the generator power.  I don't run the generator for 6-10 hours just to power the crock pot by itself.

I find it is easy, inexpensive and provides good food (freeze leftovers) and the house or RV smells great from cooking.

Good luck! - Brent
Thanks to every one for your advice.  I decided to go for the 3 qt one and if I was on shore power I could always cook overnight.  But I will try your method Brent.
Only 2 more hours before I fly back to sunny Florida.  BRR it is cold here in Michigan, I can't believe I lived here for 30 years! Cold Judy heading back to Florida

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 87775
Thanks for all your help.  Thanks Kate for the advice on reheating - I was wondering about that and it seems to make sense, so I think I might be all set with the supentown thermal cooker.  The Nissan is too expensive for the amount I will use it.
I expect all this electrical stuff will make sense once I start using the LD.  I was wondering if I can use a C-pap at night to help my breathing plugged into 110 if I am not on shore power.
So much to learn - so little time Judy

Kate Klein kate@...> wrote: "I am not sure I understand all this electricity thing. Can you use 110V only when you are plugged into shore power or running the generator, even if you have an inverter? I feel like such a newbie. "

Judy

Boy can I ever relate to this statement. I remember when I didn't understand ANY of this, and I am still somewhat near the low end of this whole RV learning scale, but I'll attempt to help a bit.

OOPS! I just saw that Andy pretty well explained the whole thing.
 I would like to add a bit about my experience with the Thermal Cooker (I've used both the Nissan and the Sunpentown and found them to both work the same).

While everyone says just bring it up to heat one time and let it go for 8 or so hours, I just didn't like this. While it was fine for soup or something that didn't have a lot of mass, I always would bring it back up to the boil every 4 hours or so. Now I tend to cook pretty dense meat or chicken stews so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but for me, I would always do this.

Everyone else says just heat it the one time, so I guess that works for everyone else, I just thought I'd mention my experiences.

Kate

Never miss a thing.   Make Yahoo your homepage.

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 87784
Judy

Like I say, I used both the Nissan (borrowed) and Sunpentown (purchased) and didn't find any difference in the cooking.  The Sunpentown isn't quite as heavy as the Nissan, but for cooking they were virtually identical.  Since the Sunpentown was so much cheaper, I was happy with it (but found I just didn't use it all that often, so got rid of it.

Kate

&

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 87788
I was wondering if I can use a C-pap at night to help my breathing plugged into 110 if I am not on shore power.

So much to learn - so little time Judy
I have a 150W inverter from Harbor freight similar to this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93095 for $30. Runs my BiPap just fine all night, even for naps in the afternoon  ;)

Jerry in windy Simi Valley Happy New Year all 2000 30 IB
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Was crock pot and voltage, now C-PAP powering
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 87789
wrote: I was wondering if I can use a C-pap at night to help my breathing plugged into 110 if I am not on shore power.
--- I don't use a C-PAP machine, but, in addition to responses from folks who do, perhaps the article at this website might be helpful:
 http://www.cpap-supply.com/Articles.asp?ID=146 
Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: CPAP powering
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 87793
Judy, if you search this website or Art's Archive (see this website's homepage for a link) for 'CPAP' (the more common spelling as opposed to 'C-PAP'), you'll find a number of messages from CPAP users discussing this topic.
 CPAP machines vary widely in power consumption, so check yours to be sure your inverter is large enough. Also consider whether your batteries will sustain the continuous overnight power drain of a CPAP.
You'll be glad you have that solar panel--and you may even want to add another! :-)

Andy Baird