Skip to main content
Topic: Off Topic Digital Camera recommendation (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Off Topic Digital Camera recommendation
Yahoo Message Number: 87315
I am interested in something compact yet with greater than 3x optical zoom, image stabilization would be nice but probably not a necessity and able to take decent low light shots.

I have been using Canon digital point and shoot cameras at work and they seem ok but will have to buy my own soon.
 I know the Panasonics have Leica lens, don't know if that really makes a difference.

Jim

Re: Off Topic Digital Camera recommendation
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 87318
I am interested in something compact yet with greater than 3x optical zoom, image stabilization would be nice but probably not a necessity and able to take decent low light shots.
We have been using a Canon Powershot A710 for many months now with excellent results. It's big for a shirt pocket, but fine for coat or jacket. It uses 2 AA batteries, and runs a long time on a fully charged set of NiMH ones. Storage is standard SD cards, and it takes very good video as well as superb stills. Shutter delay after prefocus is very short, and the image stabilization is amazing. Optical zoom is X6, and it has an optical viewfinder too.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 87324
Jim

All the shots on my blog and website are taken with a Panasonic Lumix.  I was recently considering a new camera but have pretty much decided to stick with my FZ30 (not a pocket camera though).

If you get much beyond a 3x zoom, I feel image stabilization is a must, Just my opinion.

Kate
 http://cholulared.blogspot.com &

http://www.cholulared.com

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 87325
Quote from: Jim"

"I am interested in something compact yet with greater than 3x optical zoom, image stabilization would be nice but probably not a necessity and able to take decent low light shots."

Jim, check out the camera review sites Andy lists in msg#82258.

Andrew
Andrew
2008 Rear Bath
(previously 1999 TK)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 87329

We just recently bought a new digital camera...a Pentax Optio Z10 with 7x optical zoom and 8.0 mega pixels.  It does not have image stabilization.  I haven't tried any low-light shots (most of my pictures are taken outside), but it does have a flash.
 One of the things I like about this camera is that it has rechargeable batteries...I didn't want a camera that used disposable batteries.  What I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a view-finder...the only way you can see what you're taking a picture of is with the screen, but I understand that Wal-Mart sells a shade that fits over the screen to block out sunlight.
Haven't gone to look for one  yet, so don't know how well it works.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 87332
Hello Jim: Consumers Report, on-line edition,  has a monthly subscription rate of only $5.95. They have a great data base of research on digital cameras. You can subscribe for just one month if you want.
 https://ec.consumerreports.org/ec/cro/order.htm

Here are a few of their current "best buys" Olympus FE-280 Kodak Easy Share M853 Canon Power Shot A720 IS Canon SD 870 Digital ELPH.
 The CR website has lots more recommendations & details on these cameras.

Hope this helps some.

Ed

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 87336
Well, that last one didn't work very well, did it? Trying to avoid my odd Mac formatting
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 87341
The Digital Camera Resource Page's former associate editor (that's me ;-) sez:

Canon's 8-megapixel A720 IS meets most of your requirements and is generally regarded as the best of its class. It's quite compact, yet has a 6x zoom with image stabilization. Current price is $195.99 from Amazon (recommended)--a bargain. The A720 has plenty of automatic modes, but also full manual controls if you want to take advantage of them--a rarity in compact cameras of this class.

It also has both optical and LCD viewfinders, another rarity and a very welcome feature. For me, an optical finder is a must. Unlike an LCD, it never washes out in bright sunlight; it makes for much steadier shots when you hold the camera against your face than when you hold it out in front of you to look at the LCD... and frankly, even with bifocals I have trouble focusing on an LCD at arm's length!
 I said "most of your requirements." The one thing you won't get with any compact camera is good shots in low light. All these cameras have small image sensors--that's why they are compact!--and that equates to noisy images in low light and at high ISO (sensitivity) settings.
 The laws of physics are against you here; the only way to get around this limitation is to buy a digital SLR. DSLRs have much larger sensors, which makes them almost noise-free even in low light. BUT... they also have large bodies, large lenses, and large prices! Unless you're willing to spend five times the money for a DSLR and the necessary lenses, your best bet is to buy a good compact camera such as the A720 and learn to live with its low-light limitations. Aside from that one drawback, the A720 is a superb camera for the price.
 By the way, it's very similar to the A710 that Steve mentioned, but is faster, has face detection autoexposure, and boasts a few more megapixels. The 720 also has 50% better battery life than the 710. And speaking of batteries, you will need to buy a set of four NiMH rechargeables and a charger; it doesn't come with these. I recommend Maha's $20 MH-C204F as the best charger on the market:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-mh-c204f.htm>
 Get a set of 2,500 mAh AA cells to go with it, and you're ready to go! :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 87343
Thanks for the recommendation Andy. One question. How fast can you snap off shots? In other words, does it have much of that annoying time delay between shots that earlier digitals have?

Tom Johnston

Canon's 8-megapixel A720 IS meets most of your requirements and is

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 87355
"I would strongly recommend a camera that fits easily in whatever pocket you're most likely to carry it. You won't take pictures if you don't have your camera with you"

Amen! I have a Panasonic FZ30--8 megapixels, superb 12x Leica zoom lens, every possible manual feature--but I take about 80% of my photos with an ultracompact point-and-shoot, a Minolta X50 that's about the size of an Altoids tin (5 megapixels, 3x zoom), simply because it's *always there.* It lives on my belt. I don't have to think about it--just reach down and grab it.
 And I'll tell you something funny: I used to have occasional dreams in which I'd find myself looking at some incredibly scenic vista and realize that I didn't have my camera. But since I started carrying the tiny Minolta everywhere, I haven't had those dreams any more. ;-)
 As my photography instructor, Bill Barksdale, used to say, "The best camera in the world is no good if it's sitting at home on a shelf." That's why the Canon A720 IS is so appealing: it has good image quality, an unusually long zoom for a compact model, both automatic and manual capability, long battery life... and it fits in your pocket, so you'll have it with you when you see that great, unexpected shot.

Andy Baird

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 87356
"How fast can you snap off shots?"

1.3 frames/second, according to the reviews I've seen. That's not the
 fastest out there, so if you're looking for something to use for high-speed sequence shooting, the A720 IS may not be your best choice.

Andy Baird

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 87361
1.3 frames/second, according to the reviews I've seen. That's not the fastest out there, so if you're looking for something to use for high-speed sequence shooting, the A720 IS may not be your best choice.
I'd like to add that specs like these can be deceiving - they represent a certain set of conditions that may not mirror your needs.
If you use any digital camera on full auto, expect significant time for it to resolve all the issues it deems necessary for your image to come out perfect. This just was not an issue with 35mm manual cameras of the past, or even primitive auto-exposure models. What you CAN do is pre-expose the camera with a partial button push, and then hold it as long as necessary for the shot you want to pass your way. The response time then is pretty fast to lightning fast with most models.
 The situation can be improved too by de-selecting various features you don't need automated - like flash, or leave image stabilization enabled only during the actual shutter click, etc.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 87952
As an owner of this camera I would have to say that shot delay is my *only*complaint. I think it is mostly flash related though. I take mostly indoor shots of people (school teacher and family). If you are shooting without a flash, it should never be a problem. The video camera feature is amazing, I love the face detection, and being able to buy batteries off the shelf while traveling in foreign countries is a plus too. It is not small though! However I really like that it has that big battery bump. It makes it more secure feeling in my hand. There are very few buttons on the back, but also very little scrolling through menus because of the wheel on the top that allows you to pick programmed styles. There are very few "bad" cameras out there. Just think about what your use and needs are.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 87957
As an owner of [Canon's A720 IS] I would have to say that shot delay is my *only* complaint. I think it is mostly flash related though."
 You're right. The A720 is no different from any camera (whether film or digital) in that regard: it takes a few seconds to charge between flashes. There's no camera that doesn't have that. Shooting without flash whenever possible will get you more attractively lit pictures and eliminate the delay.

Andy Baird