Skip to main content
Topic: Towing 3800 pound toad (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Towing 3800 pound toad
Yahoo Message Number: 87220
We have been looking for a toad and like the 2008 Saturn Vue. It has gotten heavier at 3825. I know that the bumper mounted hitch is rated for 4,000 lbs.

Once we put on the bikes and throw some stuff in there I suspect it will likely be over that.
 Has anyone had any problems with the rear bumper with toads close to or just over the weight?

Jim

Re: Towing 3800 pound toad
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 87221
"I know that the bumper mounted hitch is rated for 4,000 lbs. Once we put on the bikes and throw some stuff in [the VUE] I suspect it will likely be over that."
 Yup, I think you're right. That 3,825 pounds is dry weight, isn't it? That means you'll probably be within a hundred pounds of the LD's maximum hitch rating once you fill up the car's gas tank. Throw in a few items, and you're overweight.
 "Has anyone had any problems with the rear bumper with toads close to or just over the weight?"

I don't have personal experience with this situation... but just thinking about the consequences of a hitch failure while towing (which could be fatal for other people on the road at the time), I don't think I'd want to take the chance.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"