Skip to main content
Topic: I can't cook! (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
I can't cook!
Yahoo Message Number: 87146
Actually I can cook.  In fact I am a good cook, except in my new LD.  In my “big adventure” home from Las Vegas back through I-5 home to North Idaho, I had an “issue” with the propane detector. The first time it shrilly went off was when I was toasting/frying English muffins in a frying pan for breakfast.  That was in Las Vegas so I had close neighbors.  I quickly took the frying pan off the burner and the sound went off….eventually.  I noticed it had a mute “button” but that wouldn’t budge.  When I put it back on the burner off it went again.  I gave up and ate what was there.  The next time I used the burner I decided to try and toast some bread without using any butter or spray or anything just to see what would happen.  The shrill sound went off again.  Nothing happened when I would boil water for tea. So you experts out there, what is wrong?  Please
 And to Dick and Linda:   I had to go north too just last week (from Las Vegas to I-5). Going through Shasta is pretty slow going with the one lane so that is doable.  I timed it so that I went through the Sisqyou Pass in the early afternoon after all the trucks had made the road passable.  I made it to Medford and spent the night in an RV park (a must in order to plug in your electric heater).  In the morning I waited to leave late in the morning so that when I went over the next two passes the trucks had made the roads passable again.  Sometimes you might not be able to get in as many miles as you might want because of leaving late in the morning and getting to an RV park early.  When I was about 4 hours from home I ran into a snow storm and turned back 10 miles to a truck stop that has an RV park in the area.  I stayed there until noon the next day and the traffic had made the roads passable again.  I was worried before I started out but if you don’t hurry you will be fine.  And congrats to you and your new baby to be.

Judy Wms.
26.1/2 blue RB   “Dog Daze” and all the fur kids

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: I can't cook!
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 87154
Judy,
 Is the detector that's shrieking at you one that is near the stove and near the floor, that's where the propane leak detector is, or is it on the ceiling near the rig door?  That would be the smoke detector that could be triggered by slightly burning toast.
 Did you partially open the window near by  the stove and run the stove hood fan?  It helps with the smoke detector! :)

Alex Rutchka
'05 MB, SE #4

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 87156
On Dec 13, 2007, at 8:35 PM, Alex Rutchka wrote: Did you partially open the window near by  the stove and run the stove hood fan?  It helps with the smoke detector! :)

Ah, the ineffectual stove hood fan,  I cook all the time (and OFTEN set off the smoke alarm), but I have rarely found the stove exhaust fan to be of much use.

Is mine somehow defective?  I usually  use the Fantastic Fan in the kitchen (30TB) to exhaust kitchen/stove  smoke/odors.  The hood fan just doesn't seem to do much good, but it does make a LOT of noise.

Kate

http://cholulared.blogspot.com &

http://www.cholulared.com

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 87175
I cover up that %@&!$ smoke detecter with a plastic shower cap when I am cooking anything that would annoy it. Works very well.

Anne Johnson

Lovely (COLD) La Verne, CA

I can't cook!
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 87192
, I had an “issue” with the propane detector. The first time it shrilly went off was when I was toasting/frying English muffins in a frying pan for breakfast.
…………………….
 For some reason I didn’t make myself clear enough (this is not unusual).  My problem is with the propane detector, which in the manual is called an RV approved L.P.G. Detector, not a smoke alarm.  It has a green light on and is in the kitchen below near the floor and has a mute thingie on it (which doesn’t mute on mine).  If no one has any ideas as to why it won’t let me cook anything but boil water, would it be better if I just tell the factory about it?  I thought it might be an easy fix.  I was going to pull the fuse but discovered that there are two other things attached to that same fuse.

Judy Wms.

I can't cook!
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 87196
problem is with the propane detector, which in the manual is called an
We have no propane detector, but my impression is that they don't typically alarm from cooking odors. I would be more worried that you have a propane leak when you use the stove, or that the detector is malfunctioning.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

I can't cook!
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 87197
Quote from: Judy Williams"

[snip] "I was going to pull the fuse but discovered that there are two other things attached to that same fuse.

Judy,
 Did you pull the fuse behind the detector?  You just unscrew the face plate, pull it out, and pull the in-line fuse behind it.  Guess how I know this!

Sharon N.

I can't cook!
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 87204
I would be more worried that you

have a propane leak when you use the stove, or that the detector is malfunctioning.

I agree with Steve.  While it may simply be that you have a malfunctioning propane detector, I'd take the rig to an RV service center that has a certified propane person on staff and have it checked out for leaks.  It is NOT normal for the propane detector to go off when cooking!

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

I can't cook!
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 87209
Judy,
 Did you pull the fuse behind the detector? You just unscrew the face plate, pull it out, and pull the in-line fuse behind it. Guess how I know this!

Sharon N.

Sharon, you are a genius!  You have solved my problem.  Since I had only looked in the “fuse compartment” and noticed that this was connected to other things, I just assumed that it didn’t have it’s very own fuse.  So thank you, thank you!  And BTW, just how did you know this  ?

Judy Wms.

I can't cook!
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 87228
Quote from: Judy Williams"

"And BTW, just how did you know this  ?"
 Judy, I'm glad this silenced your detector.  In the five years we've had Dreamcatcher, we've had to replace two defective detectors.  They seem to fail about 2AM, only when parked with other RVs around...Never out in the boondocks.
 To be safe, be sure to have your LP system checked before installing a replacement detector.

Sharon N.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 87314
I find that the stove hood fan does do a good job of cooling off the refer wall (immediately adjacent to stove in 26.5 MB) when I have 2 or 3 burners going...while I don't use the oven, I do use the burners and most often have 2 going and sometimes 3...that fan does make a difference in that wall temp...who cares?  I don't know, but I'm personally sensitive to the amount of heat gain the refer has to deal with from any source...but running water and warm refers freak me out beyond reason...and Kate is right, the fan does make a great deal of noise (which under certain spousal conditions is a priceless feature of the LD).  As for odors, if you don't like 'em, you ain't invited for dinner!

Tina P 2006 MB "Wild Thing"

Kate Klein kate@...> wrote:
2006 MB