Skip to main content
Topic: Datastorm Antennae (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Datastorm Antennae
Yahoo Message Number: 87008
Has anyone put a Datastorm antennae on a 23.5 LD aftermarket? Does the roof have to be reinforced?  How can this be done? We have a heck of a time with the crank up Winegard and had a Motosat, TV only, on our previous rig and really regret not having it's convience.
If we install another, we would go for the Internet service too. If not would a dome TV be a better option?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bev and Chuck

Re: Datastorm Antennae
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 87011
Has anyone put a Datastorm antennae on a 23.5 LD aftermarket?

I'm not sure there's enough room on the roof of a 23.5' LD, especially if you have one or more solar panels.  The mounting plate is 21-3/4" x 48" and the stowed dimensions of the dish is 56" long x 39.5" wide by 10.5" high.
That should give you the information you need to see if there's anyplace on your roof for the Datastorm dish.
 You do realize that you cannot get satellite TV from the Datastorm dish without the addition of an LNB made especially for either DirecTV or Dish Network, called a "Bird on a Wire" (BOW).  And, whether or not a BOW will work depends on the satellite to which you're assigned...not all satellites support the addition of a BOW to the Datastorm dish.
 I would not, at this time, spend the money for a dome, particularly if you're interested in HD programming.  DirecTV (I don't know about Dish Network) is going to be moving most, if not all, of their HD programming to new satellites and switching from  Ku band to Ka band satellites.  When these changes are made, current satellite TV dishes will be pretty much obsolete, at least as far as HD programming is concerned...I don't *think* it will affect regular, non-HD programming, but I'm not absolutely sure about that (note that I'm talking specifically about HD programming, not just digital...while HD *is* digital, not all digital is HD, although it seems that a lot of people us the term "HD" as a generic term to mean digital).

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton