Skip to main content
Topic: Bye bye Baby(Blu) ~ (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Bye bye Baby(Blu) ~
Yahoo Message Number: 86951
Constant Readers may recall that on October 11 I began the saga of delivering a '93 23.5TK I trip-christened "BabyBlu" from SFO/Redwood City to BOS/Lexington Mass, a most-expenses-paid gig I got from a posting here.  On Thursday December 6th I finally completed the mission when I handed the rocksalt-and-ice encrusted BB back to owner Chris at his office parking lot in Lexington after a grand total of 4,706 miles at the helm.  Along the way, I replaced all six tyres (at the outset) with new steel-belted Michelins, had the tranny rebuilt by Aamco here in The Burg after the overdrive went splat just north of Richmond on the last-leg attempt in early November, and endured various known and previously-undiscovered gremlins along the way, to include the failure of the Prosine inverter, the death of the fridge, and a few minor 12v issues. Things were also enlivened by three straight days and over 1650 miles of 90-degree, 25 to 40mph crosswinds, and then a 12-hour northward dash last week thru about 500 miles of moderate snow, sleet and freezing rain.
So it was little more of an adventure than I expected and considerably more of a hardship stint (no fridge, microwave, TV, etc) than my bride, used to the commodious expanses of our 35ft pusher, would have preferred.  But I turned over the keys to Chris satisfied with the fact that I had not put a scratch on our charge nor contributed to its various ailments.  And I hasten to add that Chris couldn't have been more emotionally or financially supportive thru the succession of my calls that began, "Guess what happened NOW?"
 So it was a memorable experience. If you'd like to see some pix, try
 http://picasaweb.google.com/gwa1225/LDTrip07

Gary Allen Former Custodian Pro Tem of BabyBlu '98 Allegro Bus DP Williamsburg, VA "Life in the Bus Lane"

Re: Bye bye Baby(Blu) ~
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 87010
Constant Readers may recall that on October 11 I began the saga of delivering a '93 23.5TK I trip-christened "BabyBlu" from SFO/Redwood City to BOS/Lexington Mass,
 So it was a memorable experience. If you'd like to see some pix, try
 http://picasaweb.google.com/gwa1225/LDTrip07
Gary:  your pics were great, and a trip down memory lane.  We just preceded you in Yosemite, and I thought a couple of time I was looking at my own photos.  Much appreciated the shot of Modesto's WWCH arch.  I went to high school there.  You had an amazing trip, considering all the hassles!  -- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄