Skip to main content
Topic: Cab Curtains (Read 16 times) previous topic - next topic
Cab Curtains
Yahoo Message Number: 86929
While we've discussed this before on this board, I thought I'd bring it up again!

As regular readers know, we use a mesh boot on the outside and an easy curtain on the inside (both of which we like a lot).
 Now we are spending some time at Bosque del Apache to see the cranes, the snow geese, the hawks, the eagles and all the other birds.  While we're having a great time and want to stay another week or two, it's been lovely during the day but getting REALLY cold at night (at least we think so, down to the 20s and 30s at night).

While those of you who have cab-over beds simply need to put a blanket under the mattress and drop it to keep the cold from the cab up front where it belongs, those of us with an entertainment center face a bit more of a challenge, and we finally decided to try to come up with a solution.

We got a quilty type spread and the realized that we were dealing with a pretty intricate pattern.  Having no access to giant paper, we went to a local thrift shop and found a no ravel type acrylic blanket for a couple of bucks and then started measuring and cutting it up for a pattern.

We fixed it so it would go over the lip under the flip up TV, then snap onto the carpet in front of the entertainment center doors.
Then it comes around to the opening behind the cab, where we'll add velcro dots to attach to velcro we'll sew onto the blanket.

So far the pattern looks pretty good, but before we proceed, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has done something like this and has any tips to add?

If it works, we'll be happy to pass the pattern on to another LDer who can use it and maybe pass it on from there.

And if it doesn't work, nobody will care!

Kate
 http://cholulared.blogspot.com &

http://www.cholulared.com

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Cab Curtains
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 86933
"...So far the pattern looks pretty good, but before we proceed, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has done something like this and
has

any tips to add?..."

Kate
Kate, we sometimes use a blanket which we attach to the top of the existing cab curtain with clothes pins.   However, if we are in cold weather for a longer period of time, we use the cab curtain Pat made out of Warm Windows material.  It hangs from the cab curtain track with those S-shaped curtain/drapery hooks and reaches to the floor and goes in front of the cab seats and around the sides of the seats to overlap a bit on the wall between the cab and the lounge area.
It's bulky, takes up as much room rolled or folded up as a heavy down sleeping bag, but it really does the trick and allows us use of the cab seats and space inbetween to store things temporarily.
 Without having to sew something, you might try finding a large, cheap heavy blanket and attach it to the cab curtain track as I mentioned above.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 86935
"if we are in cold weather for a longer period of time, we use the cab curtain Pat made out of Warm Windows material."

Chris
 That sounds great, could we pay Pat to make us a set???  This sewing stuff is just not my forte!  I'd much rather add lights!

Kate
 http://cholulared.blogspot.com &

http://www.cholulared.com

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 86942
Well, we took a lazy approach. We have an RK w/entertainment center.
We just bought an expandable shower rod that we brace against the entertainment center on each side, to the rear of the side doors. My wife made a heavy curtain that fits over the shower rod. We seldom use it, but, because it is expandable, it is easily put up and taken down when needed.

Lee
2000 TK
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 86962
"That sounds great, could we pay Pat to make us a set??? This sewing stuff is just not my forte! I'd much rather add lights!"

Kate
 If you add enough halogen lights, they will keep the interior toasty.
You may need a 50-amp hookup

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 86963
Kate:

Don't forget to turn OFF the cab heater system before you kill the engine.  Otherwise there is an open pipe from the outside cold air into the rig, and we have found that it is this which really makes the rig cold.

Have a blast

Gus Weber

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 86967
Kate:

Don't forget to turn OFF the cab heater system before you kill the engine.
...snip...

Hi Kate,

When we were down visiting you we had left the Heat/Cool Vent/Recirculate in the Vent position and when I put our quilted drape away I could feel the cold air streaming in the cap vents.  I need to add setting to Recirculate before shutting down the engine.
We could have run the heaters even less!

Hope you are keeping warm.

Dave N 2000 RB Albuquerque
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 86997
Kate,

You've gotten some great suggestions here for isolating the cab in cold weather in the LD models with the entertainment center.  I especially like the Warm Window material curtains Pat Horst sewed up, but I never got around to making those myself.  Maybe someday.

In our 30'LD, since most of the heat loss in the cab area seems to occur around the windows and doors, and since warm air rises and cold air falls, I went for a couple of quick and easy (not elegant) solutions. With the Easy Curtain in place, it isn't necessary to completely close off the cab area from the rest of the coach.  As a matter of fact, if we're just stopping for a night, or couple of nights, I just drape an insulated curtain liner, available in many stores, over the backs of the front seats.  I tuck it in between the passenger seat and sofa on the right, and the driver's seat and dog crate that's right behind it on the left and let it fall to the floor. We can still watch TV, but it controls the cold air infiltration.  No need for a spring tension rod to hold it in place.

If we're going to be in one place for a while, I dig out a roll of Reflectix that I store in the outside front passenger side compartment.  I start by standing it up against the dash and dog house and unroll it both ways, between the seats and doors, and around the corners to the outside walls.  It prevents cold air from seeping in through the door wells, too. This allows us full use of the cab area for storage of important things, like dog toys.

Hope one of these solutions works for you.

Sharon N.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 86998
Quote from: Sharon N."

"It prevents cold air from seeping in through the door wells, too."
 And, for the engineers in the group, yes, I know that cold air doesn't seep in.  Heat escapes.  ;^)

Sharon N.