Skip to main content
Topic: Rain-x (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Rain-x
Yahoo Message Number: 86903
On two vehicles I applied Rain-X strictly per instructions, it resulted in horrible squeaking from the wiper blades for the rest of the season, even with no further application. It DID reduce the need for wipers, but not to the degree I would ever use it again on a windshield. It might be fine for application on side and rear windows, however.

Steve
Steve, I have used Rain-X for many years and have found it to be a good product.  However, did you mean squeaking or streaking?   If you had squeaking or chattering wiper blades, then I suggest you replace the rubber blades. Rain-X makes the windshield very slippery and there is very little friction to allow the rubber to grip the glass, flex and reverse direction when the wiper changes direction on a new stroke. Being cheap, I try and delay the onset of the rubber taking a set by putting a little block of wood under the wiper arm when I do not use the rig or when I am parked for two or three weeks.
 I cured my windshield streaking problem by really really cleaning the glass first.  I found it extremely important to get the glass "squeaky clean", ALL the road film has to be removed. Road film is a real bitch to remove and sometimes I even had to use rubbing alcohol (Andy's favorite solvent).
Rain-X does not clean class, just coats it but it really makes a difference.
However, I do NOT use it on the INSIDE of a windshield; I found it just fogs up.

Take Care......  Erik Holme

Re: Rain-x
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 86919
product.  However, did you mean squeaking or streaking?   If you had squeaking or chattering wiper blades, then I suggest you replace the
No, no streaking - just squeaking rubber blades. I did replace them, but the new ones became noisy again in less than a day of travel. I suspect it is affected also by the geometry of the wiper mechanics, and possible the age of the glass. For reference, one vehicle was an '83 Chevy G-30 (the LD), the other an '88 Acura Integra. In neither case was the vehicle new.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit