Skip to main content
Topic: Draining engine antifreeze 1993 chevy van 30 350 (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Draining engine antifreeze 1993 chevy van 30 350
Yahoo Message Number: 86873
We have a 24' Lazy Daze on a 1993 Chevy Van 30 Chassis – 190 HP -350 engine.  We purchased it in September of this year.  It was a California vehicle and the Engine antifreeze is mixed for use to 5 Deg
F.   We need to get it protected to –25 to –30 deg. F. for our
 Wisconsin winters.  My problem is how to drain out the existing engine antifreeze.   I have been underneath several times and can't find a drain cock.  The vehicle also has a transmission cooler in front of the engine radiator.  Am I not looking in the right place? – where would it be located?  Or do I need to do something more drastic like remove the lower radiator hose or engine block drain plug?  The radiator is constructed such that it cannot be siphoned out.   Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Emil & Mary
1994 22 LD, 2005 Midbath, 2016 Midbath

Re: Draining engine antifreeze 1993 chevy van 30 350
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 86876
Probably pulling the lower rad hose would be the easiest thing to do.

Re: Draining engine antifreeze 1993 chevy van 30 350
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 86916
antifreeze.   I have been underneath several times and can't find a drain cock.  The vehicle also has a transmission cooler in front of
Our '83 had a drain cock, as does our replacement radiator. You might have to remove the fan shroud (pushed back over the fan) enough to access it in some cases. Else, pulling the lower hose is the best option.

However, an antifreeze protection to +5 degrees would indicate a mixture of only 25% or so of antifreeze - not recommended under any circumstances. Antifreeze at 50% also raises the boiling point of the mixture to 250 degrees or so, necessary for modern engines in hot climates. I suggest you take a small sample out with a siphon, and put that in your home freezer - which should reside about 0 degrees. See what happens, monitoring with a thermometer if possible.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit