Skip to main content
Topic: Eureka and Bread Machine Question (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Eureka and Bread Machine Question
Yahoo Message Number: 86853
Andy,

I really am enjoying Eureka which is packed with great ideas.  I purchased the bread machine that you recommended.  I made my first loaf of bread and it was delicious.  I have a number of bread recipes that do not use yeast.  Do you know if I can make them in the bread machine?  Would I add yeast to the recipe?  I already have the Thermos Shuttle Chef.  Homemade soup and bread in the LD will make a great meal.  I'm practicing at home for now while my LD is winterized.

Monica NE 10
Monica
2017 MB

Re: Eureka and Bread Machine Question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 86870
"I purchased the [West Bend #41077] bread machine that you recommended. I made my first loaf of bread and it was delicious. I have a number of bread recipes that do not use yeast. Do you know if I can make them in the bread machine?"

I haven't tried that. I assume you're talking about breads that use baking powder, beer or seltzer to get the lightness normally achieved with yeast. If they require kneading, then the bread machine *might* work. All I can suggest is to experiment.

"Would I add yeast to the recipe?"
 If the recipe is designed to produce normal, air-filled bread without using yeast, then adding yeast would probably "overinflate" the loaf--most likely it would rise excessively and then collapse.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Eureka and Bread Machine Question
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 86881
"I purchased the [West Bend #41077] bread machine that you recommended.....I have a number of bread recipes that do not use yeast. Do you know if I can make them in the bread machine?" --- I've used the West Bend "Just for Dinner" breadmaker many times, but haven't used recipes other than those which came with the machine because those are designed for producing a successful loaf in a very short time, i.e., the whole mix, rise, and bake process takes about 45 minutes. To accomplish this speedy result, one *has* to use 2 1/4  teaspoons (1/4 ounce package) of *rapid-rise* "bread machine" yeast.  My "at home" bread maker uses 1 teaspoon of yeast, and it doesn't have to be "rapid rise" because the mix, rise, and bake process (in the "traditional" bread maker) takes at least three hours.

The manual that comes with the "Just for Dinner" does contain a section on adapting your own recipes, but I didn't see any mention of *not* having to use 2 1/4 teaspoons of rapid-rise yeast.  You might want to experiment with alternate leavenings; do let us know if you're able to produce anything other a wizened "doorstop" without using the amount of yeast called for!  ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home