Skip to main content
Topic: Furnace on while driving? (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Furnace on while driving?
Yahoo Message Number: 86828
Hi Folks
 Will be starting south from Michigan(Brrr) next week. Is there any reason NOT to run the furnace while driving?

Thanks, Pat

Re: Furnace on while driving?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 86832
"Will be starting south from Michigan(Brrr) next week. Is there any reason NOT to run the furnace while driving?"

Pat

If you fell comfortable traveling with the propane, go ahead.

Most people travel with the propane on to run the refrigerator.
This may not be the absolute safest thing to do but most seem willing to assume the small risk.
Remember to turn the furnace, the refrigerator and hot-water heater off when refueling.

The cab heater heats the front of the coach fine.
It's the rear lounge area that gets chilly.

Drive safe on those cold roads and head south to the Sun.

Larry Waiting for the rain.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 86836
I wouldn't be to worried about it.  When I was on my way back from my hunting trip I actually forgot to turn mine off and it kicked on a couple of times.  I figured if it was that cold back there let it run.
I run with my propane on all the time.  I know my fridge has a timer when you turn off the motor as it assumes you are gassing up.  I guess because the size of the gas tank LD figured everytime you stopped it was next to a pump. He He.  I run with my water heater on sometimes as well.  I've never had any issues with any of it.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 86848
Dan,
 I hadn't heard an automatic stop of the refrigerator before.  (It's probably in the manual.)
 I take it you mean that the refrigerator will not turn its flame on for a certain time after stopping the motor.  How long is this period?

Thanks.

Barry 2001 Red RB, TX Where are we?  http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=122

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 86849
That's really interesting. I'd really like to know more about it also. And since the LD is still in storage (with the manual) hope you could give more info on the forum! Thanks! Pat

I hadn't heard an automatic stop of the refrigerator before.  (It's probably in the manual.)
 I take it you mean that the refrigerator will not turn its flame on for a certain time after
stopping the motor.  How long is this period?

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 86854
At least on my 89 it's in the manual.  If the fridge is on Propane, or 3 way mode,  when you shut off the engine to the motorhome the fridge automatically shuts down for around 10 minutes.  That's to prevent any unfortunate mishaps while refueling.  I figured it out after walking back to make sure the fridge was working at a stop and it wasn't on.
I referred to the manual and there it was.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 86855
I will not get my LD until early next year, but have the manual at work.  I don't see anything about this in the refrigerator section of the manual I received a couple of months ago (29th edition).  Also the current refrigerator being installed is a 2-way power, so perhaps those don't have the automatic turn off.  The first item under precautions & reminders is to turn off the propane prior to driving into a filling station.

Pam
2008 MB

Re: Furnace on while driving? (Timer on refrigerator)
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 86860
I have a 3-way refrigerator in my '92 and it also has the automatic stop, which I read about in the LD manual.  It turns off for 25 minutes whenever the cab engine is turned off.

Lazy Daze is no longer doing this.  None of our RVs has had this feature...and, in fact, it's the first I've ever heard of it.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 86863
"Linda & Earl Hylton"  wrote: "None of our RVs has had this feature..." --- I believe that the "turn-off" feature is limited to a 3-way refrigerator, i.e., AC/12V DC/propane. I don't know the exact model year when LD went to installing only the 2-way refrigerator, i.e.
120AC/propane, but, *AFAIK*, the 3-way refrigerator is now used most often in truck campers and/or in "tent trailers".
 The "RV Repair and Maintenance Manual" states: "CAUTION: Do not operate the refrigerator on 12-volt DC unless the vehicle's engine is running.
The 12-vold DC mode only acts as a temperature-holding system; always cool the refrigerator on 120-volt AC power or LP-gas first."

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 86864
I have a 3-way refrigerator in my '92 and it also has the automatic stop, which I read about in the LD manual. It turns off for 25 minutes whenever the cab engine is turned off.
For what it's worth, there is no mention of any sort of stop or timer in the 29th addition owners manual.
Bonehead

Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.
 (http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 86866
"I don't know the exact model year when LD went to installing only the
2-way refrigerator, i.e. 120AC/propane..." 

2-way fridge in '99. Anything older?

Andrew 1999 23.5' TK, SF Bay Area
Andrew
2008 Rear Bath
(previously 1999 TK)

Re: Refrigerator auto-shutoff
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 86868
I can't find a specific date, but it's clear that LD hasn't installed
3-way refrigerators in about ten years. The 12V option was only useful
 when driving, and I guess that wasn't seen as enough of an advantage to make it worthwhile.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 86884
"Will be starting south from Michigan(Brrr) next week. Is there any reason NOT to run the furnace while driving?"

Pat snip>
One alternative would be to run the gen set and the heater strip in the a/c, assuming you have both of those items in your rig.  FWIW: Jack in snowy Reno

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 86886
That would be an alternative, but I think not a very efficient one in terms of energy cost/use. Unless you need the gen for some other reason or need to run it just to get the monthly time on it, consider the wear and tear, and all the waste heat an internal combustion engine makes.

bumper Yonder Snowy Minden
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer