Skip to main content
Topic: Underpowered V8s (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Underpowered V8s
Yahoo Message Number: 86764
Hi Ginger "Are you struggling to keep up with your rig?" I guess that depends on what you are used to. My '99 V10 has only 265 hp, vs. the next year 2000 V10 that had  305 hp. That 40 horses could easily come in handy. While not the slowest motorhome I've ever been in, Bluebelle's 11,500 pounds takes its toll. My two automobiles are both in the same category for 265 hp but weigh one third and are  more streamlined. The original comment was for the Ford 5.4l V8, or 330 CID.  That is about 130 cubic inches less than your 460. In a E450 chassis at 14,050  pounds, you would be passed by most everything on the hills in southern Cal.  Except those surviving VW micro busses from the '60s.
The reason it is offered is to 'hide' that $1000 increase, and  so they can say that at least they offered a fuel saving alternative.   Ron and Bluebelle a '99TKB

Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.
(http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Re: Underpowered V8s
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 86771
I'm sorry you're unhappy with Bluebelle.  I guess sometimes newer isn't better.  I just assumed that the newer LDs would be, um, peppier than the more mature ladies like mine.
 I guess you'll have to learn to take your time and enjoy the scenery.
Afterall, when we're RVing, we have no clock to punch.  :-)

Ginger