Skip to main content
Topic: Which Floor Pan vs Remining payload (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Which Floor Pan vs Remining payload
Yahoo Message Number: 86565
My wife and I have been looking at RVs for about 8 months. We've looked at diesel pushers to class C types. We are down to chossing an LD but the floor plan choice is proving a bit difficult, mainly because of the remaining payload. For those of you that have a 26.5 (2300 pounds) or a 30.5 (1200 pounds) is the limited remaining payload a problem

Re: Which Floor Pan vs Remining payload
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 86582
Personally, I think the lower payload of 1200 lbs is unrealistic for almost anyone, no matter how you plan to use the rig.  Buying a rig with that little payload will just invite overloading.  Even if you only plan to use it for weekends, taking very little food, clothing, and no tools or other supplies...you will have to be careful not to overload that 30 footer.

Additionally, if you choose the smaller LD you'll find it easier to maneuver and park, and you'll go into more places (and have more fun!) than with the bigger rig.

If you need to consider a first floor bed vs. climbing into the overcab area, the MB model may suit your needs.

happy trails,

Susan

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 86606
On Nov 30, 2007, at 8:02, conniesewbee wrote:

My wife and I have been looking at RVs for about 8 months. We've looked at diesel pushers to class C types. We are down to chossing an LD but the floor plan choice is proving a bit difficult, mainly because of the remaining payload. For those of you that have a 26.5 (2300 pounds) or a 30.5 (1200 pounds) is the limited remaining payload a problem
Not nearly as much as in earlier years when the CCC was only about 700 (before 2008). Keep in mind that CCC is leftover capacity when the vehicle is FULLY loaded. Full water, full gas, full propane AND six people.  While I am not advocating fully using all of that capacity, it is pretty easy to get a lot of headroom in that number.  People weigh 154 lb each x 4 = 600 lb, if you are only takng two. Also don't fill the fresh water tank, 8 lb/gallon adds up quick.

1200 is a huge improvement for '08 30 footers.

-Dave '06MB, Indianapolis

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 86633
A lazy daze is an excellent class "c" motorhome.  We purchased a 26.5 MidBath and have been very happy with the layout.  We travel with two children.  My wife and I sleep in the back of the motorhome and enjoy the wrap around windows.  We do have to make the beds back each day.  But, I think the added payload and reduced length outweigh any benefits the 30 footer can offer us.  Where and How you plan to use the motorhome should also help you decide which one to purchase.

best of luck, john Comunelli 2005 Midbath

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 86635
"My wife and I have been looking at RVs for about 8 months. We've
looked at diesel pushers to class C types. We are down to chossing an LD but the floor plan choice is proving a bit difficult, mainly because of the remaining payload. For those of you that have a 26.5 (2300 pounds) or a  30.5 (1200 pounds) is the limited remaining payload a problem?"
 We travel in a '02 30' and on longer trips are usually right at the max payload or even a little over; however, I don't worry about that as I use the payload figures as guidelines and I figure a little over probably won't make that much difference.   If you were going to full time, then the lower payload is a disadvantage in a 30' although there are members of this forum that fulltime in 30'ers.  It would not surprise me if they were usually over the max payload most of the time, but of course I don't know that for sure.  Perhaps some of them will chime in.
 IMHO I think it would be difficult not to be over weight fulltiming in any Lazy Daze simply because of the smaller sizes of this brand and the tendency to want to take many of one's possessions with.  I would think one would have to be very disciplined to keep from going over weight.
Again, maybe some folks who fulltime in 24 or 27'ers could provide info on this point.

Chris Horst
Denver
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: Which Floor Plan vs Remaining payload
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 86636
"I think it would be difficult not to be over weight fulltiming in any Lazy Daze simply because of the smaller sizes of this brand and the tendency to want to take many of one's possessions with."
 Oh, I think that's a bit pessimistic. ;-) I do agree with you that few LDers fulltiming in 30' rigs are within posted weights... but it's certainly possible to stay within the limits with a 26- or 23-foot Lazy Daze, especially if you're talking about only two people (as opposed to a family). for example, I'm more of a pack rat than most folks, and I have hundreds of pounds of extra batteries and solar panels, but my 26.5' midbath is still underweight with tanks full.
 A lot depends on the individuals, of course. If you've never traveled in an RV before, you may have unrealistic notions about what you need to bring along. On the other hand, if you've traveled for a few years, you will have learned to choose lightweight items, items that do double or triple duty, and to get rid of anything you don't use at least a couple of times a year.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 86637
A few years back I had a truck camper and decided to move up to a class C and found a 23.5 RB and wow, did it have storage, and I filled it up with everything from the TC plus all the 'stuff' I thought I was missing
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 86641
Your practicing what so many would like to.  What kind of fuel milage can you achevie with that 30 IB ?
 Jerry budster59@...> wrote:          A few years back I had a truck camper and decided to move up to a class C and found a 23.5 RB and wow, did it have storage, and I filled it up with everything from the TC plus all the 'stuff' I thought I was missing

Re: Which Floor Plan vs Remaining payload
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 86643
"I think it would be difficult not to be over weight fulltiming in any Lazy Daze simply because of the smaller sizes of this brand and the tendency to want to take many of one's possessions with."
 Oh, I think that's a bit pessimistic. ;-) I do agree with you that few LDers fulltiming in 30' rigs are within posted weights... but it's certainly possible to stay within the limits with a 26- or 23-foot Lazy Daze, especially if you're talking about only two people (as opposed to a family). for example, I'm more of a pack rat than most folks, and I have hundreds of pounds of extra batteries and solar panels, but my 26.5' midbath is still underweight with tanks full.
 A lot depends on the individuals, of course. If you've never traveled in an RV before, you may have unrealistic notions about what you need to bring along. On the other hand, if you've traveled for a few years, you will have learned to choose lightweight items, items that do double or triple duty, and to get rid of anything you don't use at least a couple of times a year.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Another option to consider is pulling an enclosed cargo trailer.  When we go FT, I plan to carry our Goldwing MC, some tools, and outdoor stuff (grill, chairs, etc.) in a trailer.  This option, based on my understanding, should up the weight of stuff you can take along by at least a couple thousand pounds.  Of course, your maneuverability takes a bit of a hit, but it should be no worse than pulling a toad.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 86645
"Your practicing what so many would like to.  What kind of fuel
milage can you achevie with that 30 IB ?"
 I'm not Jerry, but in our '02 30' we average about 8 to 8.5 mpg towing a Honda Accord and around 9 to 9.5 mpg not towing - all towing conditions being equal.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 86646
Your practicing what so many would like to.  What kind of fuel
milage can you achevie with that 30 IB ?
 In my travels this year (10,000 miles) my overall average was 9.9 mpg with a high of 11.5 and a low of 8.6. But keep in mind my driving style has a lot to do with that. Being retired I am not in a hurry and travel between 55 and 60 mph. Use the cruise control a lot but keep my foot on the gas pedal so I can feel when it wants to add more fuel to get up a hill. That is when I kick it out of cc and use my foot to keep it above 45 mph, I also use the 'tow/haul' button to force it out of OverDrive if I see a hill come up. Using the 'momentum' of the vehicle to climb hills helps a lot. I do let it go to the posted speed limit or a little above on the down hills. I also don't wear shoes while driving so I can get a real feel for the accelerator.

ymmv Jerry (In Simi Valley where it was 40 this morning) 2000 30 IB
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646