Skip to main content
Topic: HDTV on your computer (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
HDTV on your computer
Yahoo Message Number: 86449
In case anybody wants to use their computer to do double duty as a TV set, today's Woot (http://www.woot.com/>) item might be of interest.
It's a small podlike device that connects to a USB port (and a TV antenna, of course), and lets you receive both analog and digital TV broadcasts, including HDTV.

The key point here is this device will not only work with today's broadcasts, but won't become obsolete when analog TV broadcasting ends in a couple of years.

For $75 (postpaid), it comes with a small remote control, plus software that turns your computer into a TiVo-like video recorder.
It's available in separate versions for Windows and Mac OS X--be sure to specify which one you want.
 This is not the only device that lets you watch TV on a computer, and I haven't attempted to compare such devices in detail, but this one seems to offer a good set of features, including HDTV/digital TV compatibility, at a reasonable price.
 As with all Woot items, this one will become unavailable at midnight Central time tonight (Nov. 28, 2007), or sooner if they run out... so if you're interested, order now.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: HDTV on your computer
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 86452
Hooray for Andy!  Whatever this thing is, I hope my techie DH likes it for Christmas.  :)

If you're a TX resident, you can put

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 86471
---  "Barry Barnes"  wrote: "Bummer!!...when I checked Woot at 6:00, it was already sold out."

Barry, my guess is that there will be many USB TV tuners on sale this holiday season. I didn't spend much time researching the options, but I've been happy with my Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950. I posted about it on Msg # 80937. I've seen it recently in the $30-40 range.

Here's one review I did read: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3336

The Woot tuner looks similar except that it had a remote control.
Unless you have a very large monitor, I can't imagine needing a remote. I have a 14" laptop, so I'm always an arm's length away from the controls.

Andrew 1999 23.5' TK, SF Bay Area
Andrew
2008 Rear Bath
(previously 1999 TK)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 86585
---  "Barry Barnes"  wrote: "I checked the Hauppauge web page and it indicates that the HVR-950 receives digital ATSC HD TV from a portable digital signal.  Have you tried this inside of the LD? How does the HD TV look on a lap top?

Barry, I don't know what the technical stuff means but the tuner works fine inside the LD even with the little antenna that comes with it. It gets many more digital channels hooked up to the LD batwing antenna with amplifier turned on.
 HDTV is pretty spectacular even on my little 14" laptop screen. This was my first experience with HD outside of looking at the big screens at Costco. It's even better than a widescreen DVD in that it fills my entire laptop screen instead of a narrow band in the center. I'm guessing the HDTV format is geared for TV/PC screens rather than movie theater screens.
 I don't watch much TV, so watching on a laptop screen works well for me. That's a very subjective opinion. If you watch more than 2-3 hrs. a week, you might want a larger screen. Others have also warned that the viewing angle on computer screens is much more limited, so it might not work too well if 2 people are watching from different positions.

HTH, Andrew 1999 23.5' TK, SF Bay Area
Andrew
2008 Rear Bath
(previously 1999 TK)

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 86604
"HDTV is... even better than a widescreen DVD in that it fills my entire laptop screen instead of a narrow band in the center. I'm guessing the HDTV format is geared for TV/PC screens rather than movie theater screens."
 HDTV is indeed geared for TV and PC screens--which are all wide ones nowadays. :-) All HDTV programming is 16:9 (widescreen) rather then 4:3 (the old format), so the Hauppage system must be cropping the image to fill your laptop's 4:3 screen... in other words, you're losing the right and left edges of the picture. But there's rarely anything vital in those edge areas, so it's not something to worry too much about. :-)

Andy Baird

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 86608
"All HDTV programming is 16:9 (widescreen) rather then 4:3 (the old format), so the Hauppage system must be cropping the image to fill your laptop's 4:3 screen... in other words, you're losing the right and left edges of the picture."

Andy, this is what I have: 14.1" Widescreen TFT Active Matrix WXGA+ (1440 x 900) display with TrueLifeTM

Is that not pretty close to 16:9?  It's definitely not 4:3.  I know about the cropping to fit the old 4:3 TVs.  Those crop enough on left & right to notice.  If over-the-air HD programming gets cropped on my screen, it must be very little.

Andrew
2008 Rear Bath
(previously 1999 TK)

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 86614
---  "Barry Barnes"  wrote: "You have convinced me.  I'll order one.  (Do you get a commission?  )"

Yeah, sure, right, Barry.  In fact, I'm doing so well this year with these kickback deals that I almost might maybe make as much as Andy's getting from Yahoo Groups for being the moderator here. A six figure income is nothing to sneeze at.*

Unless you're in a rush to get one, you might want to watch for Christmas sales. Here's one of many "deal" tracking sites: http://tinyurl.com/2wmvr3

A final note: I'm getting all these OTA HD signals in the SF Bay Area.
You may not get as many wherever you are right now.

*the six figures are all zeros (just in case someone thought I might be serious)
Andrew
2008 Rear Bath
(previously 1999 TK)

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 86617
"14.1" Widescreen (1440 x 900) display...Is that not pretty close to 16:9?"
 Yup! It is, and I apologize for misunderstanding your post. When you said that movies were being "letterboxed" on your PC, I just assumed that you had an older 4:3 screen. I guess you were just watching some extra w-i-d-e movies! :-)

Andy Baird

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 86944
"In case anybody wants to use their computer to do double duty as a TV set...It's a small podlike device that connects to a USB port (and a TV antenna, of course), and lets you receive both analog and digital TV broadcasts, including HDTV.

Woot's at it again (12/9/07): http://www.woot.com/Default.aspx

Andrew
2008 Rear Bath
(previously 1999 TK)

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 86945
"In case anybody wants to use their computer to do double duty as a TV set...It's a small podlike device that connects to a USB port (and a TV antenna, of course), and lets you receive both analog and digital TV broadcasts, including HDTV.

Woot's at it again (12/9/07): http://www.woot.com/Default.aspx

Sold out as of 7:35am mtn time Sunday.  But thanks for the headsup, Andrew.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 86955
Thanks Andrew, but Woot is sold out again.
 In any case, I received the Hauppaugel WinTV-HVR-950 from Amazon yesterday.  It seems to work OK, picking up 6 analog channels and 13 digital channels using the small stick antenna which came with it (inside of our house).  About half of these channels are good enough quality to watch.  The software is a bit awkward with having to change from full screen mode to change channels.  I can see why a remote control would be useful.
 I don't see much use for it except while traveling in the LD.  I installed a good-quality signal splitter after the booster amplifier in the LD with an extra cable to try using the LD antenna with it.  I'll report back after we have made a trip whether it is useful while traveling.

Barry 2001 Red RB, TX Where are we?  http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=122

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 86958
"Thanks Andrew, but Woot is sold out again."

Woot is insane sometimes.  There must be people who wait for the stroke of midnight just to get some of these things.
 "The software is a bit awkward with having to change from full screen mode to change channels.  I can see why a remote control would be useful."

I didn't think about that use for the remote.  I usually have a specific program & channel in mind when I hook up the tuner.  I use the included "TV Guide"-like software to identify HD programming.

"I don't see much use for it except while traveling in the LD."
 The recording feature works fairly well.  I've used it a few times to record HD shows that I want to save for another day.  Then you can fast forward through the commercials and save about 15" on a 1 hr. show.  I'm sure there are more full-featured tuner/recorders that will automatically remove the commercials.

Andrew
Andrew
2008 Rear Bath
(previously 1999 TK)