Skip to main content
Topic: AM Solar Tilt System (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AM Solar Tilt System
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 86347
"It looks like these tilt systems only tilt one way."
 The AM Solar tilt bars can be installed on either side of a panel, so the panel can tilt on its long axis about 40 degrees either way. Thus if the panels are installed lengthwise on your roof (which is the most common setup), they can tilt either to the right or to the left.
 The AM Solar tilt bars and mounts don't allow tilting a panel on its short axis (lifting one end as opposed to lifting one side). To do that and achieve the same degree of tilt would require bars more than twice as long, and correspondingly stronger. I've done it with one panel on my older rig, using homemade bars, but it's not the best way to go.
 "If this is the case, it seems there is only one way to park your rig when you camp."

Since the panels can tilt two ways, there are two ways to park your rig for best solar power. In wintertime, you'd want to face either east or west. That way the panels can be tilted to the south for maximum power.
 Of course, you always have the option of just leaving the panels flat and parking any way you like, accepting the slightly reduced power you'll get. For much of the year, that's what I do. Having tilt bars is all about having choices. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"