Skip to main content
Topic: Further Confessions (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Further Confessions
Yahoo Message Number: 86339
Thank you all for your feed back. I do not intend to do the actual stained glass myself. Last year at Quartzite, there were people selling premade inserts. I saw one I liked in prismatic glass. It apppeared to be leaded. There may be some clear areas. The persistance of memory is never complete. I will wait 6 weeks and look for them again. I believe installation involves removing the inside black plastic and using a silicon adhesive. It comes with directions. Has anyone purchased or installed one of there? After that I will see if an intercom or a camera is needed.
Beverly

Re: Further Confessions
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 86350
glass. It apppeared to be leaded. There may be some clear areas. The
persistance of

memory is never complete. I will wait 6 weeks and look for them
again. I believe

Hi Beverly,
 If this is real leaded stained glass (made with lead "last") I would not affix it to anything that bounces around like an RV door.  If it were securely framed in wood or aluminum to be brought out and suspended from wire or something then no problem.

The problem is that the lead tends to sag even when in an immobile location.  Leaded glass panels are not very strong either.  This was one of the reasons that Tiffany developed his copper foil technique for those large cathedral windows so they didn't require unattractive supporting poles.
 I urge you to check out the cling film stained glass.  There is lots of choice and it's very nice.  No modifications to the door just smooth it out over the glass.  If you get tired of the pattern just peel it off and slap up something else.

Ginger

Further Confessions
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 86369
Hi, We've had a "stained glass" window in both our '94 and in our '06.   It is actually a plexiglas type material that has just enough flex to allow it to be "popped in" to the window framing.  A bit of foam in the bottom of the frame keeps in from rattling or moving.   There is a small clear peep-hole which works very well.
We bought the window at the Caravaner's Club about 12 years ago.  The lady who made so many of them is no longer able to do so.  However, I believe there is a woman in the Northwest group who is making these inserts.

Juli Wilson
Minden, NV
'06 RB
Juli W.
Former owner 1994 mid bath,  2006 26.5'rear bath

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 86371
Julie,
 Hmmm, there must be at least 3 LD's in Minden now . . . almost enough to start are own group!

bumper "Yonder" Minden, NV
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 86481
Julie,
 Hmmm, there must be at least 3 LD's in Minden now . . . almost enough
to start are own group!

Bumper: Juli Wilson and her husband are members of the "Northern Exposure of Lazy Daze" and Juli is an active senior officer of the Northern Cal. group. (we are inactive members) I've often wondered how you co-exist in that little Nevada town witout runninlg into one another.
When we visit friends again in Markleville I want to get in touch with you and spin a story about how we got a glider off the ground that had to land on that little strip on the ridge just outside of Markleville.
Les Bowers 95 23 1/2 FL Cupertino, CA.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 86486
Les,
 That would be Alpine County airport. I land there often in my Husky A1-B. Then, often as not, drop down into the East Fork of the Carson river valley and fly north following the twisting river canyon. This is also a popular kayak and rafting run, there's even a hot springs half way.

all the best,

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer