Skip to main content
Topic: "Water Fuel" (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
"Water Fuel"
Yahoo Message Number: 66969
Thanks to Andy and Bumper for their comments on the "Water Fuel" video.  I normally would not even watch something produced by Fox News, as it raises my blood pressure.  The video was sent to me, as my friends know I'm interested in renewable resources.  The whole issue of hydrogen as fuel seems to be yet another source of revenue for the energy companies.  If someone can bypass them with a process that actually works without involving fossil fuels in the process (such as solar, or a chemical reaction) I think we would actually be ahead of the game.

I don't entirely agree with the old saying that "there is no such thing as a free lunch".  Solar power, wind power, tidal power, and ground-source geothermal heating is freely available.  It only costs money when you have to build something to take advantage of it.  If the payback period for setting up the system is a reasonable length of time, it is probably worth doing.  Perhaps not a "free lunch", but closer to it than the energy companies would like.

If any of the clever engineer-types in this group would like to pursue the issue, a quick search on Google of "water fuel" brings up some crackpot, as well as some interesting sites.  One is:
 http://www.keelynet.com/energy/waterfuel.htm

I hope we'll be able to power our LDs with something other than gasoline or diesel fuel in the near future.  Has anyone converted their diesel LD to run on straight vegetable oil?

Sharon N.

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: "Water Fuel"
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 66971
I hope we'll be able to power our LDs with something other than gasoline or diesel fuel in the near future.  Has anyone converted their diesel LD to run on straight vegetable oil?

Sharon N.
Well there really isn't much conversion required. However the process of growing the vegies and converting to oil has very little promise of being more efficient than the Hydrogen generators.
 I have long felt the biggest challenge solar power faces is where to put the meter. In other words it is most practical on an end user basis and the middle men lose out..

On another energy related subject.
 Just for daytime lighting is is amazing how efficient sunlight collectors can be. If any of you are ever traveling through the Lancaster, Pa the are many interesting sights and places. However one that isn't discussed in the tourist literature is the B&B grocery store. Is is just east off 222 about 3 miles north of Quarryville, Pa.  It is a huge Amish owned grocery store dealing in the freight salvage and other surplus foods. The B&B stands For Bumps and Bangs I believe..

But if you are interested to see what life is like without on grid Electricity stop and take a look. They have this huge building and it is all white inside. There are many large skylights with light collectors built in and it lights the place up like a store with rows of lighting. It is very bright even on overcast days. Also for the curious there are Gas lights for the later hours. It you would happen  to stop also note the large ceiling fans that run on compressed air...
 And you might fill up the LD cabinets with some food bargains also..

Garry

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: "Water Fuel"
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 66995
Sharon wrote:

Actually, there is no conversion required.  It is necessary to be certain that whatever fuel you use is well filtered.  Many truckers stop at Carl's Corner in central Texas to buy vegetable oil to run in their trucks.  (So far there is no tax on it.  I'm sure the feds will fix that, though.  Can't have those darn farmers making all that money that's supposed to go to the oil companies! That station is owned by Willie Nelson (the country singer/song writer).  He is big friend of the American farmer.  I hear he is opening a station in Dallas soon.
A friend of mine in Anacortes, WA runs his Mercedes on vegetable oil and has done so for years.

Allen

--

I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
It has removed 1177 spam emails to date.
Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfighter.com/len

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: "Water Fuel"
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 67001
Em, semi off topic here. During WW2 race cars (midgets) ran on Wesson oil and I look forward to our cities smelling as good as it did around the track back then Has anyone converted

their diesel LD to run on straight vegetable oil?
A friend of mine in Anacortes, WA runs his Mercedes on vegetable oil and has

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 67019
Allen,

What does the non-taxed veggie oil sell for at Carl's Corner?

Barry 01 r rb tx at

Re: "Water Fuel"
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 67025
Allen,

Thanks.

For anyone trying to follow the link, the . at the end must be removed.  Note that when posting a link, it has to be on a separate line or at least have a space before and after the link.  Any contiguious text (such as a .) will be taken as part of the link.

Barry 01 r rb tx at

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 67038

Sharon wrote:

Actually, there is no conversion required.  It is necessary to be certain that whatever fuel you use is well filtered.  Many truckers stop
at Carl's

Corner in central Texas to buy vegetable oil to run in their
trucks.  (So

far there is no tax on it.  I'm sure the feds will fix that,
though.  Can't

have those darn farmers making all that money that's supposed to
go to the

oil companies! That station is owned by Willie Nelson (the country singer/song
writer).  He

is big friend of the American farmer.  I hear he is opening a
station in

Dallas soon.
A friend of mine in Anacortes, WA runs his Mercedes on vegetable
oil and has

done so for years.

Allen
Thanks for that information, Allen.  I knew about filtering the vegetable oil, but thought a pre-heater for the oil was required as well.  I'm really glad to see Willie stepping up to the plate and doing something to get the ball rolling on this, as well as encouraging farmers to get their piece of the action.

Sharon N.

Alternative Fuel / "Water Fuel"
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 67041

Sharon wrote:

Actually, there is no conversion required.  It is necessary to be certain that whatever fuel you use is well filtered.  Many truckers stop
at Carl's

Corner in central Texas to buy vegetable oil to run in their
trucks.  (So

far there is no tax on it.  I'm sure the feds will fix that,
though.  Can't

have those darn farmers making all that money that's supposed to
go to the

oil companies! That station is owned by Willie Nelson (the country singer/song
writer).  He

is big friend of the American farmer.  I hear he is opening a
station in

Dallas soon.
A friend of mine in Anacortes, WA runs his Mercedes on vegetable
oil and has

done so for years.

Allen
I checked the web site for Willie's fuel, and what the web site describes is Bio-diesel, not 100% vegetable oil.  Bio-diesel is still a highly processed, "quasi-diesel", that has a lot of issues surrounding it.  I'm surprised.  I thought Willie Nelson was promoting straight vegetable oil, to support the farmers that produce it.

Sharon N.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 67069
I very seriously considered getting a Diesel LD in order to run either SVO or BioDiesel.  But, I hadn't gotten the farm yet, so I wasn't producing it.  If/when I get another LD, it will be a diesel & I will run the BD that I produce for the farm.  Not difficult to do at all & I now have the processor.
Evelyn

"Sharon N." wrote:

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 67073
"If/when I get another LD, it will be a diesel."
 Lazy Daze stopped making diesel motorhomes a year ago, so when the time comes, you'll have to look for an older used rig. Good luck!

Andy Baird

Villanueva State Park, NM
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 67080
Actually htere really is quite a bit of "conversion".  The veggie oil has to be pre-heated.  So if you want to run straight Veggie Oil (SVO) you have to have a dual system, DinoDiesel t start & stop (need to heat system up) then also a system to warm the veggie oil.  Usually copper tubes are run from the engine colling system to send hot water thru the tank to warm the fuel.

But.... I disagree whole heartedly that there's little promise of being more efficient!  Waste Veggie Oil (WVO) can be strained & used & it's being 'thrown away' now.  Restraunts have to pay to have it hauled away.  We take it for free!  But, the renderers are trying to get legislation thru that would require a license tohandle it.  Kind of like KOA pushing thru No-WM parking laws.
No, if you mean that there's little conversion for BioDiesel.... there's no conversion, mix any proportions of Dino & Bio Diesel...it's OK t run as if it were straight DD.

Evelyn

Has anyone converted  their diesel LD to run on straight vegetable oil?
Sharon N.

"Garry & Maxine Foster" wrote:

Well there really isn't much conversion required. However the
process of growing the vegies and converting to oil has very little promise of being more efficient than the Hydrogen generators.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 67102
OH NOOOOOO!!! Guess I'll have to stick w/ what I've got till the wheels fall off! (But... you can bet... they'll be wheels w/ tires that are less than 5 years old!) Evelyn

"Andy Baird" wrote:

Lazy Daze stopped making diesel motorhomes a year ago, so when the
time comes, you'll have to look for an older used rig. Good luck!