Skip to main content
Topic: Our rig (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Our rig
Yahoo Message Number: 66962
posting in this site's 'for sale' brought no response. I think that an older RV at a low price is suspect, but we are now getting inquiries with a picture ad, so...
If anyone here is interested, it can be seen at site below http://www.rvonline.com/ search on 'lazy daze' we're heading to Calif on a car trip next month, so poor Daisy will have to sit until July, if she doesn't get adopted soon Em BTW. maybe 'lifewithalazydazerv' could think about a picture album of 'for sale' LDs - might, maybe, perhaps???

Re: "For sale" photos
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 66973
"maybe 'lifewithalazydazerv' could think about a picture album of 'for sale' LDs - might, maybe, perhaps"
 Since anyone can upload and store photos for free on Yahoo's picture service, Ofoto, ImageShack, PhotoBucket, or a dozen other free online services, there's really no need to put them here. :-) And there are important reasons not to.
 This group has very limited space for photos, and it's a constant struggle to keep from exceeding our limits. Just one person can push us over the edge by uploading an album of photos at their digital camera's full resolution--it has happened repeatedly in the past! Many people apparently don't know how to resize images for the web, even though every photo program (and almost every camera) makes it easy to do.
 For that reason, we don't allow photos of rigs for sale in this site's Photos section--it would just fill up too fast. Occasionally someone ignores the rule, and we have to delete their pictures.

Andy Baird
Tijeras, NM
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Our rig
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 66979
we are looking for a used LD and are in California.
We did the link and search for Lazy Daze but several came up.
Which one is yours? Michelle

my0daisy0 wrote:

Re: toad question
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 66982
Could an 84 22' with a Chevy 350 pull a toad? Michelle
My advice would be not to tow anything unless you want to hold up unhappy drivers following you when you are traveling up a hill on a two lane road.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 66983
"Could an 84 22' with a Chevy 350 pull a toad?"

Maybe in Kansas...with a tailwind. ;-)
 My experience with my 1985 22' with Chevy 350 is that it has enough trouble getting over steep hills on its own. I wouldn't dream of trying to pull three or four thousand additional pounds. The only exception might be if you have the multi-thousand-dollar Gearvendors over/underdrive installed...you might get away with it then.

Andy Baird
Tijeras, NM
Andy Baird

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Our rig
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 66985
Just a note here.  When we ordered the LD, we had to sell our 1987 Tioga.  We listed it with RV online and got nothing, so we then put it up on Craigslist, with photos, and got our price within a week.  I just say this in case you don't get any bites (but then, we were selling an old Tioga, not a Lazy Daze)

Kate

In Serenity/Cholula, the Red 30TB  . . . Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 66988
Em here, since these folks just want to drive it home, my husband's suggestion was: "if they have to cross a mountain, unhitch and drive both across separately"  ;-)

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 66990
That's a heck of an investment (tow bar, baseplate, electrical connections for lights, aux brakes, etc.) just to drive something home.

Michelle

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 66991
I understand that most probably the question was asked as a fact finding probe, not a plan...would assume an intent to rent a dolly, not buy. That said, the advice to find your used unit near home can't be argued with. This web-site forum is a great resource - full of been there done thats. Picking up tips myself, even now. There are always changes and gotchas.
The manual states a tow capacity of 3500lbs and a hitch limit of 350 and it is set up to do so, but never had a reason to test it.
The 22 ft length rig is owned mainly by folks who don't tow, but want a go-anywhere-unemcumbered size rig. Lazy Daze excelled

toad question
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 70193
Just finished talking to Kate [of Cholula fame], and ran into something I hadn't heard before. I've been struggling with the "to toad or not to toad" question since acquiring KOOCH....now I hear about a restriction that would definitely prohibit my having one.

She says you can't backup if towing a toad...and if there isn't a work around, then I'm stuck.

Being a single alone driver, and having found myself  in multiple situations where I HAD to bkup to go forward, I need to know if others in my situation figured out a tow system/? that allowed us singles to have a toad??
 My old SOB had a much tighter turning radius, and in general I didn't get too "bound up" thereby needing to maneuver back and forth to finish a turn, make a turn a round , or travel down narrow windy trails more suited to 4wheel drives [grin!]!!
 But even in my own driveway, I have to do several such re-alignments to make the curves, etc., here [where I had originally created my RV pad and such for the other SOB].

Any suggestions? Help? If there's anywhere I might get help with this, it's this group!

Gini Free
Free Farm III

CHIMERA Dobermanns Sarene and  Dennis

Celie and Nihm, Tonkinese teeny terrorist twins
ANNABEE  Fr. Alpine Dairy Goats

"Kooch" the little red LD that could

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 70194
Being a single alone driver, and having found myself  in multiple situations where I HAD to bkup to go forward, I need to know if others in my situation figured out a tow system/? that allowed us singles to have a toad??

If you're towing with all four wheels on the ground, then, yes, Kate is right...you can't back up.

If you put your toad up on a trailer, then you won't run into that restriction.  I don't know what the situation is when using a dolly, but I'm sure someone here does! :-)

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK http://map.datastormusers.com/level3.cfm?mapnum=3044300 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] toad question
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 70195
On Aug 20, 2006, at 12:49, Gini Free wrote:

She says you can't backup if towing a toad...and if there isn't a work around, then I'm stuck.
The only reason you can tow a car flat is because the front wheels of the car castor when pulled ahead. But the only way you can ever back, is if you unhook the car and move it separately.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 70196

Being a single alone driver, and having found myself  in multiple situations where I HAD to bkup to go forward, I need to know if others in my situation figured out a tow system/? that allowed us singles to have a toad?? .....

Gini .........

Hi Gini
 I don't tow, so I'll let those who do address your question, and just give my thoughts in general.
 We have traveled toad-free since getting our motorhome, and since it's the smaller one, we use it for traveling to and from, staying in, and exploring in. So we don't miss not having an auxiliary vehicle. Also, our trips are only a few weeks long at most, we don't go off-road into remote locations, and when we do settle down in one spot for more than a few days, it's no trouble to rent a car if we want one, and often have it delivered right to the camp site. Understand that 'roughing it' for us is only having electric and water, and being outside of the pizza delivery area.
 So for us anyway this works out better and is cheaper than towing, and we have a car when we need one, and we don't have the bother of one when we don't. It's a matter of personal choice between mobility of your motorhome vrs the convenience of a toad, and we would certainly consider towing if we were on the road for months at a time, and/or had extended stays in one location, because it would be more convenient to have a second vehicle right with us in that circumstance.

Will 2004 23.5 TK

PS Single drivers who tow learn to plan ahead very, very carefully.

W.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 70197
"...you can't backup if towing a toad...and if there isn't a work around, then I'm stuck..."

Gini Free
Gini

"Growing Wise is Optional" Let me ask you a question! How many Semi drivers have you ever seen who have had to drop their box so that they could maneuver around or through a space??? And you know that there are plenty of Semis out there on the American roads.

Think about it, you need to be aware of your situation, where you are and where you need to go before you get yourself into a trap.

I'm a solo traveler (30'IB) and I tow a toad. I haven't yet found myself in a situation where I could not proceed ahead. But, when that day comes, as I imagine it could, the simple answer is to drop the toad, make your move and rehitch. It's not that difficult.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: toad question
Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 70198
Hi Will---like you, I've never had another vehicle to bother with. My old SOB was a 30fter also, and mostly, I went to visit family and friends, or do VERY short trips in my surrounding area...so not having alternative transportation wasn't a problem.

But now, I'm looking at a different soon-to-be life style. I'm getting divorced, selling my home, and am going to get out there and see what's what for as long as I want or need to, so the possibility of needing short run or exploration transportation becomes more necessary. There won't be family or friends always available.

That's one of the reasons I was originally looking at the smaller rigs--most likely the 26 1/2 MB....but KOOCH was too good a deal to pass up. and I DO love the extra room and convenience of a 30fter with my large Dobe and two cats, and no overhead bed to have to climb in and out of when I make my two times a night visit to the BthRm [grin--getting old has certain disadvantages, eh??]
 Not to mention, since I love sleeping in a "real" bed with sheets and blankies, making an overhead is a pain in the tush for me [I'm 5'4", and got this darned short legs and arms...just can't reach the corners without getting on the bed and we all know how hard THAT makes it to get sheets on a bed!

Once I sell my house and have the $$ to do all the things I want to do to my next RV, I may opt to sell KOOCH in favor of a smaller rig.

Another idea I have is to get one of those small U Haul type trailers, and get a scooter to load into it! Still more "kaboose" behind me than I'd really like, but better than no toad at all, and less $ and hassle...like I said, still working on this one!

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 70199
{still working on the "wise"...grin}

Well, since I've also been a long haul horse hauler, even when thinking/looking ahead, there've been situations where I've had to turn around in VERY tight places....and since I plan on going "where no KOOCH has gone before" I'm not always going to know what's ahead, regardless of how carefully I try and pre-plan. I like to go on  'pioneer' roads --[did it in the old SOB, and had a few problem instances]...nothing to be afraid of, but DO need to be able to maneuver enough to get out. If I can't BACK up, I can see being very limited in where I can safely go.

For example, a friend and I went to AZ via Death Valley, etc., and thru that stretch of desert...at dusk we pulled off onto this fairly wide dirt road, looking for an out of the way place to park for the night. We went in about five or so miles and realized there were NO turn outs or turn arounds big enough for Frankie [my old SOB] to even turn around...we ended up backing the five miles out. Granted being with someone would have made it OK with a toad...but if I'd have been alone...???
 Just unhitching won't always solve the problem of being a mile or two in, and needing to drive the toad out--hike back in, etc.
 As to semis unhitching--they don't go "off road" very often, and when they do, yes I HAVE seen them have to struggle to get out of places I've worked [construction sites with limited access/roads]--they had to un-hitch, and then we pulled out them out with a dozer or a loader!

Not saying I couldn't do it, just thinking ahead to how I travel, where  I want to  go, and being there alone, and no one close enough to call if I get in trouble.

I'm pretty independent--but as a woman I've learned to THINK AHEAD and NOT get myself "stuck"...and so far, so good! GRIN!

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 70200
Hi Gini, I just got a toad last year and I too was surprised to find that you can't back when towing four down.  Since our first trip with toad was to the east coast around the Washington D.C. area and then on to Maryland's Eastern Shore, lots of traffic, and high speed impatient drivers, I was very nervous. We used the "Next Exit" book on the way, to, and stuck to the Interstates. Basically, if you make a mistake and get somewhere that you can't go forward, you have to unhitch and extricate your motorhome and toad separately, then reconnect. We had to do that at least three times. But other than being a bit embarrassing and time consuming...it wasn't too bad. I say we, there were two of us and that made it easier, but I could have done it all alone if I had to.
We had managed very well without a toad for the first three years but then early last year we took a trip to Big Bend National Park in Texas and decided that we needed a "getting around" vehicle and the closest place I found to rent one was Midland, TX, a long way from BB, but then, everything is a long way from BB. Anyway, we had to drive the vehicles in a little caravan and it was expensive and a pain in the butt, because we had to go back via Midland to return the car. It tipped the scales and I decided it was time for a toad. Having it in the D.C. area was certainly very handy but it would have been easy just to rent a car there, not like Big Bend! I do think you could manage a toad alone but the back-up thing can definitely strain nerves and unless you like to travel to very remote areas or don't like the hassle of renting it might not be worth the bother.

Bonnie 01 MB, Zoƫ

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 70201
On Aug 20, 2006, at 16:46, raincrow7 wrote:

Hi Gini, I just got a toad last year and I too was surprised to find that you can't back when towing four down.  ...
Think about it for a second. Next time you are at Walmart or a grocery store, check out what happens to the front wheels on the grocery cart when pulled forward from the front versus pushed backwards. Watch the front wheels on the cart and realize the front wheels on your car do not exactly have the freedom to completely turn around like the grocery cart wheels do.  If you back with a (4- down) toad attached, even a short distance, something is going to break, the tow bar, the car, or perhaps both.

Semi-trucks CAN back, because they are not dealing with a castoring wheel arrangement for steering.  But you cannot back a 4-wheel down toad even for a very short distance. If you get wedged in somewhere, you will have to disconnect, get both vehicles oriented for exit, reconnect and then leave.  Best to make sure there is at least enough room to turn the coach around.

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 70204
Just unhitching won't always solve the problem of being a mile or two in, and needing to drive the toad out--hike back in, etc.

Gini, this shouldn't be a problem, since you wouldn't need to drive all the way back out with the RV and then hike back to get your toad.  All that would be necessary in a situation like you describe, is to unhitch, turn your RV around, get in the toad, turn it around, and rehitch...then you can drive back out with toad attached.

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK http://map.datastormusers.com/level3.cfm?mapnum=3044300 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 70205

Hi Gini -- solo, full-timing LDer here, who's discovered that whatever the task, wherever I am, most things take twice as long to accomplish as it does for those traveling in pairs!  Also, I get lost a lot.  I change my mind a lot.  I like to take the road less traveled -- a lot.  For my traveling style, a toad could be a hindrance, a luxury and an additional (unwanted) expense.

My b-i-l built a cargo carrier for me to house bulky stuff, and I don't have expensive equipment that needs a "garage."   Love those Enterprise Rental folks who come and get me if I'm staying in a citified area I want to explore.  And more important, love dear friends with toads who let me tag along on their adventures.

Before hitting the road, I lived in a rural area half an hour from the nearest gas station, grocery store and other conveniences, and I learned, as Steve points out, that pre planning is essential.  (Once settled into a lovely spot to contemplate nature's gifts, one doesn't run into town in her LD because she forgot the loaf of bread!)

Frankly, just handling Second Wind is enough of a challenge for me! Adding another ingredient,  uppity woman that I am, would be adding just one more time consuming, financially-draining responsibility! After two years on the road while deciding whether or not to tow, I sold my intended toad.

Sarah Blackwood (before Pete), Beth Davis, Linda Baird, (and lots more) are all women solo travelers who tow, and boy! do I admire them.  And, frankly, I don't know anyone who, having once towed, has decided *not* to tow any longer.  It's just that, for now, my nomadic lifestyle   doesn't warrant it.  Perhaps, when I start staying in one place for entire seasons, I'd reconsider.

Lorna, plunked for a month without a tow on the South Fork of the Rio Grande, CO
2003 RB

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 70206
"For example, a friend and I went to AZ via Death Valley, etc., and thru that stretch of desert...at dusk we pulled off onto this fairly wide dirt road, looking for an out of the way place to park for the night. We went in about five or so miles and realized there were NO turn outs or turn arounds big enough for Frankie [my old SOB] to even turn around...we  ended up backing the five miles out."
 Gini, I don't have a toad (yet), but I've learned a few things from friends who do. One of them is that scouting dirt roads is what your toad is for. One of its major uses is to go check out places where you think you might want to camp, to see whether they are in fact desirable and (more important) feasable for your rig.
 When you come to a back-country road that looks interesting, you unhook and take your toad up that road first to see what's what. You don't drive up it with your rig, and then unhook only when you get stuck and can't turn around. :-)

Andy Baird
Villanueva, AZ
Andy Baird

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 70207
Gawd, I can't WAIT to meet so many of you on this list! Can you tell I'm champing at the bit to be FREE of this @$%^$$@#%^ house and ex-hubbie??

Like you, I've always lived w-a-y off the beaten path--20 plus minutes to anywhere, usual 50 mile round trip to buy milk or bread...perhaps that's why I had milk goats, and my own garden, pork, beef, fruit trees, bees, etc....so yes, one does learn to pre-plan any and all trips, projects, etc.
 I'm also getting older and lazier....[fatter??..grin]... and like you, I know I'd really rather keep the labor intensive stuff to a minimum--one of the reasons I'm going into an RV instead of taking care of ten acres, and a big house!

Your statement about roads less traveled, etc., is me to a "T" as well. I hate cities and traffic, and renting a car hurts me cheap Scotts background!

I imagine once I really do get to "get on the road" I'll find out just how much I need or want a toad. Right now I have a 2000 Forester, which I love, and if I do tow, it'll be my toad. But as others point out, it's also one more expense, and thing to maintain, and that's another issue for me.

Not being able to back up AT ALL is tipping the scales towards NOT having one...guess I'll have to wait and see, as well as meet and greet those who do have and those who have not...bring it on!
 Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply! You're truly a great bunch of folks!

Hi Gini -- solo, full-timing LDer here, who's discovered that whatever the task, wherever I am, most things take twice as long to accomplish as it does for those traveling in pairs!  Also, I get lost a lot.  I change my mind a lot.  I like to take the road less traveled -- a lot.  For my traveling style, a toad could be a hindrance, a luxury and an additional (unwanted) expense.

My b-i-l built a cargo carrier for me to house bulky stuff, and I don't have expensive equipment that needs a "garage."   Love those Enterprise Rental folks who come and get me if I'm staying in a citified area I want to explore.  And more important, love dear friends with toads who let me tag along on their adventures.

Before hitting the road, I lived in a rural area half an hour from the nearest gas station, grocery store and other conveniences, and I learned, as Steve points out, that pre planning is essential.  (Once settled into a lovely spot to contemplate nature's gifts, one doesn't run into town in her LD because she forgot the loaf of bread!)

Frankly, just handling Second Wind is enough of a challenge for me! Adding another ingredient,  uppity woman that I am, would be adding just one more time consuming, financially-draining responsibility! After two years on the road while deciding whether or not to tow, I sold my intended toad.

Sarah Blackwood (before Pete), Beth Davis, Linda Baird, (and lots more) are all women solo travelers who tow, and boy! do I admire them.  And, frankly, I don't know anyone who, having once towed, has decided *not* to tow any longer.  It's just that, for now, my nomadic lifestyle   doesn't warrant it.  Perhaps, when I start staying in one place for entire seasons, I'd reconsider.

Lorna, plunked for a month without a tow on the South Fork of the Rio Grande, CO

Gini Free
Free Farm III

CHIMERA Dobermanns Sarene and  Dennis

Celie and Nihm, Tonkinese teeny terrorist twins
ANNABEE  Fr. Alpine Dairy Goats

"Kooch" the little red LD that could

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 70208
er...."DUH!"....see, learning to think instead of do ALWAYS works best, eh?

That takes care of that particular idea--but again, I get myself in spots where I have to bk up or finagle myself around tight places, corners, etc....I guess it's all in the "awareness first" skills, which I'm still *ahem* in the working on part!