Skip to main content
Topic: Honda 2006 CRV as Tow (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Honda 2006 CRV as Tow
Yahoo Message Number: 66894
I'm looking at the Honda CRV all-wheel drive with automatic transmission as a new family car. I want to additionally be able to use it as a towed in place of my Jeep. Is anyone pulling one of these behind their LD? I believe the 2005 might be the same vehicle.

Don Howe 2002 MB GY Long Island
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Honda 2006 CRV as Tow
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 66895
"Honda CRV all-wheel drive with automatic transmission"
 We have a 2002 CRV, auto trans, 2 wheel drive, and have towed it for 4 years, about 25 to 30,000 miles. It tows fine and we have really appreciated it. Just be sure to check the particular year/model you want, with Honda, to be sure nothing has changed.

Chris Hunter
Long Beach, CA

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 66921
Is anyone pulling one of these

behind their LD?
Yes, I am. 2006 CRV Special Edition behind 2006 MB LD. Works perfectly. Only one thing: Honda has made some chassis changes which now necessitate the tow base plates being mounted about six inches higher... they come through the grill which makes the chassis attachment practically invisible when you remove the plates when not towing. But... that means that my Roadmaster Guardian Shield now sits about six inches higher. On a regular model CRV that would be no problem, but on the Special Edition the areas behow the headlights are painted white like the rest of the vehicle... rather than the black plastic that covers the lower portion of a regular CRV. That means those two lower painted sections are not getting protection by the Guardian Shield. Aside from that one detail, the arrangement works fine. Additionally, you have to get a High-Low Drop Hitch (from Camping World) to raise the tow bar mechanism at the back of the LD so that you have a relatively straight line connection to your CRV. The 2006 CRV is a neat little car... especially the Special Edition in white... very attractive.

David

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 66936

Is anyone pulling one of these behind their LD?

Yes, I am. 2006 CRV Special Edition behind 2006 MB LD. Works perfectly.....(snip)
Thanks for the info David. You are the resource that I was looking for. Two years ago I was torn between a CRV and a Jeep. I choose a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon because it could get me through the soft sand of Long Island beaches, and any terrain in the Southwest that I could dream of encountering. However I have driven it on NY City streets more than the beaches and it can be an uncomfortable ride for me with a bad back. Plan B is my wife deserves a new car for her birthday and she would like a CRV...a perfect situation. I'd probably opt for the SE but she prefers cloth seats so I'll see what appeals to her and what may be available. I appreciate the info on the difference between the front ends on the various models. I will know that the SE can be set up for towing.
Do you have an automatic transmission? (It appears by the brochure that they are made with both Manual or Auto in the SE) I currently have a roadmaster all-terrain tow bar and brackets. What brand bar and base plates are you using? I suspect that I'd be much happier to use a CRV for regular driving than the Jeep, and the room in the back with the seats folded down seems perfect for all those home shopping trips! Thanks for the help.

Don Howe 2002 MB GY Long Island
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 66943
but she prefers cloth seats...
Show her the white exterior with the camel leather interior. It's beautiful!

Do you have an automatic transmission?
Yes.

I currently have a roadmaster all-terrain tow bar and brackets.
Exactly what I have also.

and the room in the back with the seats folded down seems perfect...
Yes, Honda has really improved the rear-seat fold-down since the earlier '98 model we had. Also you can order a rear space cover... a big improvement.

We also ordered the roof rack and already had the bike rack attachments for that.
 Obviously, I love the new CRV. The ride is not quite as smooth as our Acura, but I have to say it's more fun to drive.

David

Honda 2006 CRV as Tow
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 66900
Don Wrote:

I'm looking at the Honda CRV all-wheel drive with automatic transmission as a new family car. I want to additionally be able to use it as a towed in place of my Jeep. Is anyone pulling one of these behind their LD? I believe the 2005 might be the same vehicle.
I do not have a CRV yet, but it is what I am leaning toward for a combination family car and toad.  I only wish it weighed a little less.
However, it is within recommended limits for my 23.5 T/K.  I have done quite a bit of research on this, and the CRV seems to be the best option I can find.

Allen

--

I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
It has removed 1162 spam emails to date.
Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfighter.com/len

Honda 2006 CRV as Tow
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 66901
Have you checked out the Chevy HHR?  We too are looking for a tow vechicle and the HHR looks pretty good from a cost/weight/MPG/size point of view.
It is towable 4 down, I'm just not sure about the '47 chevy look.  I wonder if anyone else has looked at it as a tow vechicle and has any thoughts either positive or negitive.

Rich Gort
2000 MB Birch Bay, WA  But currently in Girona, Spain on the Costa Brava visiting kids and grandkids and enjoying fine weather and their annual flower festival.
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Honda 2006 CRV as Tow
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 66902
My biggest concern about the HHR is the deplorable record GM has had as far as reliability is concerned.  I pretty well stick with vehicles on the recommended list published by Consumer Reports(just like I did RVCG when I bought my LD).  I'm quite sure the HHR did not make that list.

Allen

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 66913
I have, and love, a 2005 Subaru Forester that I've towed for about 10k miles.  I also use it as my regular vehicle at home.  I've had no problems with it and do not regret purchasing this vehicle as my Toad/Ma

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 66924
Dick wrote:
 But I believe the only Forester that can be towed with wheels on the ground in one with a standard transmission.  I would be OK with that, but my wife says "NO"

--

I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
It has removed 1166 spam emails to date.
Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfighter.com/len