Skip to main content
Topic: Broken bolt for spare tire door (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Broken bolt for spare tire door
Yahoo Message Number: 66873
Hello,

I couldn't open the spare tire door.  The nut turned along with the bolt.  So I reluctantly cut off the nut, along with the end of the bolt in the nut.  I opened the door, then removed the second nut and lock washer against the exterior wall.

I expected to remove the bolt and replace it.  But it doesn't come out.  Looks to me like they installed the bolt from the inside before installing the interior wall.
 How can I remove and replace the shortened bolt without tearing up the interior?  Or does someone have another way to secure the door???

Thanks.

Bruce 1994 27' RB

Re: Broken bolt for spare tire door
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 66879
Hello,

I couldn't open the spare tire door.  The nut turned along with the bolt.  So I reluctantly cut off the nut, along with the end of the bolt in the nut.  I opened the door, then removed the second nut and lock washer against the exterior wall.

I expected to remove the bolt and replace it.  But it doesn't come out.  Looks to me like they installed the bolt from the inside before installing the interior wall.

How can I remove and replace the shortened bolt without tearing up the interior?  Or does someone have another way to secure the door???
Yes the bolt was installed from the inside and tends to spin. Mine nut was stuck and I dremmeled it off, then used red locktite on the bolt. Another person had to pull the passenger side tail lights off and fanagle a wrench inside to hold the bolt. In your case, the bolt may have to be replaced altogether.

Good Luck,

Terry and Peggy, 92 TK

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 66882
Hello,

Thanks.

Bruce 1994 27' RB
Bruce,

One option - don't know if it's the best one - would be to remove the nut / cut off the bolt, and push the remaining shaft & head inside, basically abandoning it. Then weld a small plate to a threaded shaft and fasten the plate to the motorhome using either pop rivets or riv-nuts and bolts. Riv-nuts are rivet in place threaded inserts. Alternately, the plate could be attached using screws if there is sufficient wood reinforcement available - and I assume there is.

Again, I'm not sure this is the best fix, but would be an easy one for any shop with welding equipment.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 66884

Hello,

Thanks.

Bruce 1994 27' RB

Bruce,

One option - don't know if it's the best one - would be to remove the nut / cut off the bolt, and push the remaining shaft & head inside, basically abandoning it. Then weld a small plate to a threaded shaft and fasten the plate to the motorhome using either pop rivets or riv-nuts and bolts. Riv-nuts are rivet in place threaded inserts. Alternately, the plate could be attached using screws if there is sufficient wood reinforcement available - and I assume there is.

Again, I'm not sure this is the best fix, but would be an easy one for any shop with welding equipment.

bumper
Hey Bumper, instead of welding a stud to the plate(weld shops are scary), why not put a rivnut there too. No welding, just all rivnuts and a bolt. The door securing rivnut can pass thru where the bad bolt was.

Terry

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 66892
Bruce, When a tire repair shop employee put the nut on my spare tire door with an air gun, I had to have the bolt resecured because the nut turned with the bolt. Access to the bolt was had by removing the inside panel that covers the passenger side rear light assemply. This was reached through a rear hatch. In case the access is not the same, the factory will tell you how to get at the back side of the bolt.

Doris
1999 30IB

Hello,

I couldn't open the spare tire door.  The nut turned along with the
bolt.  So I reluctantly cut off the nut, along with the end of the bolt in the nut.  I opened the door, then removed the second nut and lock washer against the exterior wall.

Thanks.

Bruce 1994 27' RB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 66904
Hey Bumper, instead of welding a stud to the plate(weld shops are scary), why not put a rivnut there too. No welding, just all rivnuts and a bolt. The door securing rivnut can pass thru where the bad bolt was.

Terry
Terry,

Remember that old saying, "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail".

That is definitely *not* my problem. Since I'm passionate about collecting tools and so have welding equipment (including a shiney new TIG - - woohooo), I just figured I'd do it the easiest way (for me!) and weld the stud to the plate. (g)
 Using a large riv-nut for the main bolt would work too. Unfortunately, the riv-nut set I have only goes up to 1/4 - 20 . . . I've never seen a riv-nut larger than that, though I'd not be surprised if they have 'em.

all the best,

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 66905

Bruce, When a tire repair shop employee put the nut on my spare tire door
with an air gun,

One of the many small mods I've made on "Yonder", is to replace that acorn nut with a black Delrin knurled "finger nut". Since it's plastic, there's no way it can get overtighned or locked in place.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 66909
"Using a large riv-nut for the main bolt would work too.
Unfortunately, the riv-nut set I have only goes up to 1/4 - 20 . . .
I've never seen a riv-nut larger than that, though I'd not be surprised if they have 'em."

bumper
 Larger diameter riv-nuts (or nutserts) are commonly used in auto and large aircraft construction. The larger sizes require more force to compress than what a 'pop-rivet' type hand tool can deliver. We have installers at work the size of large bolt cutters. Too bad they are so pricey because they would be handy in building accessories for the LD and Jeep.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 66916
"Using a large riv-nut for the main bolt would work too.
Unfortunately, the riv-nut set I have only goes up to 1/4 - 20 . . .
I've never seen a riv-nut larger than that, though I'd not be surprised if they have 'em."

bumper
 Larger diameter riv-nuts (or nutserts) are commonly used in auto and large aircraft construction. The larger sizes require more force to compress than what a 'pop-rivet' type hand tool can deliver. We have installers at work the size of large bolt cutters. Too bad they are so pricey because they would be handy in building accessories for the LD and Jeep.

Larry
Mcmaster.com has 3/8 rivetnuts and nutsert, and also has wrench installers for less than $25. I use them and they work very well. I prefer the knurled rivetnuts as they seat better.

Terry

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 66920

Terry,

Remember that old saying, "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail".

That is definitely *not* my problem. Since I'm passionate about collecting tools and so have welding equipment (including a shiney new TIG - - woohooo), I just figured I'd do it the easiest way (for
me!)

and weld the stud to the plate. (g)

bumper
Bumper, say it aint so! I see your point. I have visions of the stereotype welder guys. Kind of like the local boys in the movie "Deliverance". Seems like welders can straighten turnpikes, unclog arteries, landscape the moon, tune 747 engines, build underwater KMarts, and so on. :)
 Welders scare me, had my run in with too many in fact. I think "TIG" means "TOTALLY INSANE GENETICALLY". I challenge anyone to point a sane welder!

Get immunized! Terry

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 66926
Bumper, say it aint so! I see your point. I have visions of the stereotype welder guys. Kind of like the local boys in the movie "Deliverance". Seems like welders can straighten turnpikes, unclog arteries, landscape the moon, tune 747 engines, build underwater KMarts, and so on. :)
 Welders scare me, had my run in with too many in fact. I think "TIG" means "TOTALLY INSANE GENETICALLY". I challenge anyone to point a sane welder!

Get immunized! Terry
Terry,

Oh no!! It's a Miller 200DX with water cooled torch, current adjustable down to one amp. If you're good enough (and I'm not), one can even weld extremely thin stuff like aluminum cans together.

An analogy to compare welding methods . . . Stick welding would be like using a hatchet to do brain surgery; A MIG (metal Inert Gas) or "wire feed", a hunting knife; the scalpel of the bunch would be TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas). With a good TIG machine any weldable metal can be joined, though not as fast as a MIG machine for production work.

I's a sane welder . . . I think the insane part must come from a lifetime of breathing welding fumes, maybe? Anyway, I really enjoy the challenge of learning to use new tools. Also it's enjoyable to be able to help people. During the last two weeks I welding tabs on an old British motorcycle frame that's being restored and welded a stainless steel experimental aircraft exhaust for another fellow.
 The only compensation I ask is that they owe me a cheeseburger. If I'm ever down on my luck and go homeless, I'll not go hungry (g).

all the best,

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 66932
Thanks Bumper, Since having the nut frozen to the bolt by the air gun, I lost it somewhere while on a trip.
The door is now held closed with a shoe lace tied around the bolt. Functional but not too attractive. I've wanted to replace the nut with something that the air gun fanatics couldn't mess up, now I can print your post and know just what to shop for.

Doris
99 30 IB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 66933
Bumper,

That is a good idea.  When I get back to the LD, I'll look for a knurled "finger nut" to do the same.  Where did you find yours?

Barry 01 r rb tx at

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 66935
'Welders scare me, had my run in with too many in fact. I think "TIG" means "TOTALLY INSANE GENETICALLY". I challenge anyone to point a sane welder!  Get immunized!" Terry

Terry, Our neighbor immunized us with a good supply of Bud? (ugghh) from his bottomless backyard keg before he TIG welded our LD tailpipe back together.
He blasts music to serenade at least a square mile and if you complain he makes you drink until you can't hear it anymore. Everything in his yard is welded. We worry about stray animals that may wander to close to his torch.
Karen - waiting for Steve's rain to get here.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 66937
"The only compensation I ask is that they owe me a cheeseburger."
all the best,

bumper

Wow Bumper, you aren't very hard to please. Has anyone ever refered to you as "Wimpy", as in the old Popeye catoons???

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 66956

"The only compensation I ask is that they owe me a
cheeseburger."

all the best,

bumper

Wow Bumper, you aren't very hard to please. Has anyone ever
refered to

you as "Wimpy", as in the old Popeye catoons???

Steve S.
I've been accused of that :c)  Most little welding jobs, or turning a part on the lathe, are just too much fun to charge for 'em.
Besides, I've been a "saver" all my life, so don't spend all the money I do get . . . whatever would I do with more to not spend?? Which reminds me:

A couple of my friends gave me these definitions of "rich". The first a multi-millionaire, "Anyone who has 25% more than you". But the one I really like is from the co-founder of a company that sold for billions of dollars a few years back, "When your needs are met and your income is more than your expenses".

bumper "Yonder"
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 66972
"...definitions of "rich". ...from the co-founder of a company that sold for billions... "When your needs are met and your income is more than your expenses"."

bumper "Yonder"

Bumper

Liked the definition. What more could you ask?

Even though I can trace my heritage back to the Kellogg dynasty, I still have to pay for my "Corn Flakes" at the grocery store. Life is so unfair.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Re: Broken bolt for spare tire door (Now El Flakeo)
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 66974
Even though I can trace my heritage back to the Kellogg dynasty, I still have to pay for my "Corn Flakes" at the grocery store. Life is so unfair.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ LOL,

Clearly Steve, you're just not "flakey" enough.
 Keep working on it, and one of these days, before you know it ...... it'll all be (free) milk and cereal for you!
 (Just keep mumbling under your breath, and when the wife says "what did you say?", blurt out "nuttin honey".)

George C.

Re: Broken bolt for spare tire door (Now El Flakeo)
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 66977
"...blurt out "nuttin honey".

George C.
Good one George! In fact, that'd be a good name for a Lazy Daze.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 67111
Thnx to everyone who offered suggestions on fixing the bolt on my spare tire door.

As far as I could see, on this 1994 model, I would need to take out the housing for the tire, including the door.  Too many screws, plus recaulking and repainting = lousy looking job when through.

So I took it to an auto shop.  They shortened the bolt that I had already cut down when removing the nut.  Then they welded another length of bolt onto the original, returning it to the original length.  Came to about $150.  Probably would have cost the same if I had removed and replaced the housing, but all the work is hidden behind the door.

:

Bruce

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 67913

Welders scare me, had my run in with too many in fact. I
think "TIG"

means "TOTALLY INSANE GENETICALLY". I challenge anyone to point a sane welder!

Get immunized! Terry

Terry,

Oh no!! It's a Miller 200DX with water cooled torch, current adjustable down to one amp. If you're good enough (and I'm not), one can even weld extremely thin stuff like aluminum cans together.

An analogy to compare welding methods . . . Stick welding would be like using a hatchet to do brain surgery; A MIG (metal Inert Gas) or "wire feed", a hunting knife; the scalpel of the bunch would be TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas). With a good TIG machine any weldable metal can be joined, though not as fast as a MIG machine for production work.

I's a sane welder . . . I think the insane part must come from a lifetime of breathing welding fumes, maybe? Anyway, I really enjoy the challenge of learning to use new tools. Also it's enjoyable to be able to help people. During the last two weeks I welding tabs on an old British motorcycle frame that's being restored and welded a stainless steel experimental aircraft exhaust for another fellow.

The only compensation I ask is that they owe me a cheeseburger. If
I'm

ever down on my luck and go homeless, I'll not go hungry (g).

all the best,

bumper
Hey bumper!  Got that Miller DX dialed in yet? I looked it up and what a sweet welder. Is it really true that you can weld aluminum with household power, like the alum cans? It sounds so impossible.

Aluminum I hear is the hardest metal to weld, I can't imagine the skills involved. I am really jeoleus of those American Chopper guys that make it look so easy. And you too! Are you going to carry it in your LD for roadside tig welding?

Terry and Peggy, 92 TK "Dazy Roze"