Skip to main content
Topic: Files-Change in LD Models (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Files-Change in LD Models
Yahoo Message Number: 66843
I was looking at the improvements over the years in the files section, and found that my 1995 MB 350 Chassis 460 Ford, is listed as having a 3 speed automatic transmission.  I know that my transmission shifts 3 times (my tach confirms this), and my LD info lists a 4 speed automatic transmission.  Is our file wrong, or am I missing something?

Bob

Re: Files--Change in LD Models
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 66854
"my 1995 MB 350 Chassis 460 Ford, is listed as having a 3 speed automatic transmission.  I know that my transmission shifts 3 times (my tach confirms this), and my LD info lists a 4 speed automatic transmission."
 Interesting--the file says the four-speed was introduced in 1998, but you have it in a 1995 LD. Looks as if the file's wrong--unless your transmission has been replaced. Are you the original owner?
 Does anybody else have a pre-1998 Ford E350-based LD with a four-speen tranny?

Andy Baird
Tijeras, NM
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Files-Change in LD Models
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 66855
I was looking at the improvements over the years in the files section, and found that my 1995 MB 350 Chassis 460 Ford, is listed as having a 3 speed automatic transmission.  I know that my transmission shifts 3 times (my tach confirms this), and my LD info lists a 4 speed automatic transmission.  Is our file wrong, or am I missing something?

Bob
Your transmission should be an E40D, which is a C6 3-speed transmission with overdrive added. This might explain the descriptive confusion, since the shift to overdrive or a shift into a 'drive' fourth gear feels the same, and is functionally the same.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 66857

Your transmission should be an E40D, which is a C6 3-speed transmission with overdrive added. This might explain the descriptive confusion, since the shift to overdrive or a shift into a 'drive' fourth gear feels the same, and is functionally the same.

Steve
Thanks Steve.  So I have a 3+1 speed transmission ;>)

It appears that the "real" 4 speed was introduced in 1998 with the 4R100.  The reason for the questions is that I am looking at the possibility of selling our 95 MB and buying a newer 30 footer.  I am looking for the "sweet spot" of equipment upgrades and affordable price.

Bob

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 66860
Our previous LD was a 89 26.5 with a C6 (3 speed) transmission. The following year (1990) the E40D (4 speed) and the fake front windows started. I was miffed on missing both those upgrades.

Tom Schmal.

Re: Files--Change in LD Models
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 66881
"my 1995 MB 350 Chassis 460 Ford, is listed as having a 3 speed
automatic transmission.  I

know that my transmission shifts 3 times (my tach confirms this),
and my LD info lists a 4

speed automatic transmission."

Interesting--the file says the four-speed was introduced in 1998,
but you have it in a 1995

LD. Looks as if the file's wrong--unless your transmission has been
replaced. Are you the

original owner?

Does anybody else have a pre-1998 Ford E350-based LD with a four-
speen tranny?

Andy Baird Tijeras, NM
Our '92 E-350 has a 4 speed automatic, the one with the push button on the wiper lever. The trans defaults to overdrive when the engine is off, then when start the engine the button must be pushed and an overdrive "OFF" indicator lights up on the wiper lever. Otherwise the trans can overheat driving under 45 mph for any length of time.

Terry and Peggy '92TK Dazy Roze