Skip to main content
Topic: Roof replacement for hail damage (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Roof replacement for hail damage
Yahoo Message Number: 66782
This post is aimed at you experts out there and especially those that have gone through this such as the Lazy Dazers South Central at their Spring Round Up in San Marcos and that horrible hail storm.  I live in Round Rock Texas and had hail damage two weeks later.

My insurance company has finished assessing the damage to the house Jeep and car and finally our Lazy Daze.  The only damage to our LD was the top itself and a dent in the ladder and a broken outside light.  TV and Satellite Antennas were ok along with the solar panels and the fan covers.  The insurance company said they will replace the roof for me.
The insurance adjuster said he couldn't see any breaks in the aluminum but recommended putting epoxy in the pockmarks just in case to assure that there is no leakage until I decide what to do.  I am afraid to let anybody other than the factory work on our LD but I can't get out to there for at least nine months.  I have the check for the roof replacement and they said there is no time limit on when or if I have to do anything.

Three questions.  Should I replace the roof and if so where (Lazy Dazers South Central what did you do?)?  If I don't replace the roof, what should I do to make sure that I don't have problems later?  Put epoxy in the dimples as suggested, cover with eternabond tape??  Don't do anything and let it stay as is?  There is no cosmetic issues when viewed from the ground or passing vehicles.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Terry Reitz 2006 23.5 TK
 PS:  This forum is such a great resource.  I don't know what I would do without it.

Re: Roof replacement for hail damage
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 66783
Three questions.  Should I replace the roof and if so where (Lazy Dazers South Central what did you do?)?  If I don't replace the roof, what should I do to make sure that I don't have problems later?  Put epoxy in the dimples as suggested, cover with eternabond tape??  Don't do anything and let it stay as is?  There is no cosmetic issues when viewed from the ground or passing vehicles.

Terry, first I would suggest calling the factory and getting their opinion!
 Personally, I would be VERY reluctant to have anyone but the factory replace the roof, if that were necessary.  When we were at the factory ordering our rig, we were told that the roof (one-piece pre-painted aluminum) is ordered from Belgium (I think that's correct...anyway, someplace in Europe), because that's the only place that makes what Lazy Daze wants/needs.  I don't think anyone else is going to go to the trouble/expense to get the same piece of aluminum that Lazy Daze uses.

Linda Hylton

2004 Red 23.5' TK http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 66784
Terry, first I would suggest calling the factory and getting their
opinion!

Personally, I would be VERY reluctant to have anyone but the
factory replace

the roof, if that were necessary.  When we were at the factory
ordering our

rig, we were told that the roof (one-piece pre-painted aluminum) is ordered from Belgium (I think that's correct...anyway, someplace in
Europe), because

that's the only place that makes what Lazy Daze wants/needs.  I
don't think

anyone else is going to go to the trouble/expense to get the same
piece of

aluminum that Lazy Daze uses.

Linda Hylton 2004 Red 23.5' TK http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda,

Excellent advice.  I will call them as soon as they open up today.

Thank you

Terry Reitz 23.5 TK

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Roof replacement for hail damage
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 66787
I agree with the suggestion to not let anyone but the factory fix the roof.  We don't have and hail damage, but we have "caught" a few green, sugar pine cones dropped from 100 feet by squirrels.  Sugar pine cones are over 12" long, between 3-4" in diameter and heavy.
Naturally they did dent the aluminum, but the plywood underlayment prevented any real damage.  We have been living with the dents for several years for several years with out any problem.  I really like Epoxy for many fixes, I wouldn't use it in this case.  If after you have inspected the roof your self, if you think there is a danger of leaks you might try eternabond tape.  I have never used the tape, but it has received good reviews from this group.  Good luck,  Gene

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 66789
Terry
 Without seeing the damage, I cannot comment on if the roof should be replaced. As said before, I would want the Factory to do it. It's a huge job to peel the roof off and will take LD a week or two to complete.
It will require some repainting of the exterior since the roof panel extends over the rear and down to the rear windows.
Until then, I would use square patches of Eternabond tape to cover any doubtful spots, where there may be small cracks. This could be considered a permanent repair.
The aluminum is very tough and has a plywood backing. It would take a lot of force to penetrate it. It's amazing that the solar panels did not break.
The roof damage is probably purely cosmetic.
If it was my LD, I would probably leave it as is.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 66796
Though I am not yet a LD owner, I respect their workmanship, and would not let anyone else do the work. Your coach is basically new, I would want to bring it back to that state, and ONLY the factory will do that.
 I would take a three day weekend (one day off of work) and drive it out, then fly home via Ontario Airport. And do the reverse when it is ready.

Think about how few LD owners get to drive home twice in a 2006 LD!

If it were on my dime to repair, I would probably do like Larry.
But seeing that the insurance has already agreed to pay, I would make my 2006 LD exactly how it came from day one.

ken wannabe that lives close to the Factory.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 66801
Terry, first I would suggest calling the factory and getting their
opinion!

Personally, I would be VERY reluctant to have anyone but the
factory replace

the roof, if that were necessary.  When we were at the factory
ordering our

rig, we were told that the roof (one-piece pre-painted aluminum) is ordered from Belgium (I think that's correct...anyway, someplace in
Europe), because

that's the only place that makes what Lazy Daze wants/needs.  I
don't think

anyone else is going to go to the trouble/expense to get the same
piece of

aluminum that Lazy Daze uses.

Linda Hylton 2004 Red 23.5' TK http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda,

Called the factory and they were very helpful as usual.  For the points you made and others that Vince offered I think having the factory do it is essential.

Thank you for your response and advice

Terry Reitz 23.5 TK

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 66802
I agree with the suggestion to not let anyone but the factory fix the roof.  We don't have and hail damage, but we have "caught" a few green, sugar pine cones dropped from 100 feet by squirrels.  Sugar pine cones are over 12" long, between 3-4" in diameter and heavy.
Naturally they did dent the aluminum, but the plywood underlayment prevented any real damage.  We have been living with the dents for several years for several years with out any problem.  I really like Epoxy for many fixes, I wouldn't use it in this case.  If after you have inspected the roof your self, if you think there is a danger of leaks you might try eternabond tape.  I have never used the tape, but it has received good reviews from this group.  Good luck,  Gene
Gene,

Thank you for the response.  Now I have to worry about squirrels too.  Maybe I worry too much.  Vince thought I might consider silicon rubber if I did anthing though like you I have only heard good things about eternabond tape.

He did say that probably there was no structural issues and any repairs would be cosmetic.

Thank you again for your response.

Terry Reitz 23.5 TK

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 66803

Terry
 Without seeing the damage, I cannot comment on if the roof should be replaced. As said before, I would want the Factory to do it. It's a huge job to peel the roof off and will take LD a week or two to
complete.

It will require some repainting of the exterior since the roof panel extends over the rear and down to the rear windows.
Until then, I would use square patches of Eternabond tape to cover any doubtful spots, where there may be small cracks. This could be considered a permanent repair.
The aluminum is very tough and has a plywood backing. It would take a lot of force to penetrate it. It's amazing that the solar panels did not break.
The roof damage is probably purely cosmetic.
If it was my LD, I would probably leave it as is.

Larry
Larry,

Once I got on top and looked the depth of the pockmaarks were not near as great as I originally thought and agree the damage is cosmetic.  Not visible from the anywhere except if you are on the top looking at it. I don't think I have the problem is as bad as I originally thought.

Thank you

Terry Reitz 23.5 TK

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 66804
Though I am not yet a LD owner, I respect their workmanship, and
would not let anyone else do the work. Your coach is basically new, I would want to bring it back to that state, and ONLY the factory will do that.

I would take a three day weekend (one day off of work) and drive it
out, then fly home via Ontario Airport. And do the reverse when it is ready.

Think about how few LD owners get to drive home twice in a 2006 LD!

If it were on my dime to repair, I would probably do like Larry.
But seeing that the insurance has already agreed to pay, I would
make my 2006 LD exactly how it came from day one.

ken wannabe that lives close to the Factory.
Ken,

You are right about one thing and that is I look for any excuse to drive my Lazy Daze.  Considering how much the insurance company gave me and the amount that Vince said it would probably cost, I will have to get back to the insurance company and see if they still agree to do a total replace less my deductable.  If it gets replaced it will be at the factory.

Terry Reitz 23.5  TK

As a former wannabe, I was told that the only thing I will regret about buying a Lazy Daze would be not doing it sooner and they were right.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 66810
I'd take the money and run! Probably is enough to make several nice trips? (That is, if the damage is only on top and only cosmetic?) I had hail damage on a GEO Metro(Kinda like tinfoil) and the adjuster told me that if I left it out in the hot sun the dents would mostly pop out. It took several months, but he was right. I dare you to find one! Besides the Metro is now paid for.
Not sure if the dents would do the same on a LD? I know ---A beloved LD is a bit different than a cockelmainen GEO Metro- --I would have to see a srink if that happened to HaRVey.
Good Luck!

Dan Hillman
Parker Co.

2001 30ft. IB Red/White

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 66844
I'd take the money and run! Probably is enough to make several nice trips? (That is, if the damage is only on top and only cosmetic?) I had hail damage on a GEO Metro(Kinda like tinfoil) and the adjuster told me that if I left it out in the hot sun the dents would mostly pop out. It took several months, but he was right. I dare you to find one! Besides the Metro is now paid for.
Not sure if the dents would do the same on a LD? I know ---A beloved LD is a bit different than a cockelmainen GEO
Metro-

--I would have to see a srink if that happened to HaRVey.
Good Luck! Dan Hillman Parker Co.
2001 30ft. IB Red/White
Dan,

It is cosmetic and since I can't get out to the factory for a while anyway I guess I will get to find out how many dents come out with time.  Though it really hurt to have this happen, at least now the first dent or in this case dents have already occured.  Since I plan on keeping it for many many years 20+ in the end it probably won't matter anyway.

Terry Reitz 23.5 TK

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 66852
"Though it really hurt to have this happen, at least now the first dent or in this case dents have already occured.  Since I plan on keeping it for many many years 20+ in the end it probably won't matter anyway."

Terry
 Cover the dents with solar panels. They seem to be nearly unbreakable.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Roof Replacement
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 66847
Just a thought, if you do not repair the roof damage with the insurance settelment, would the insurance company question subsequent coverage for some future incident involving damage to the roof?

Dave Woodruff

26.5 Rear Kitchen (1999, Teal)

Re: Roof Replacement
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 67039
Just a thought, if you do not repair the roof damage with the insurance settelment, would the insurance company question subsequent coverage for some future incident involving damage to the roof? Dave Woodruff 26.5 Rear Kitchen (1999, Teal)
You are correct per my insurance co.

Terry Reitz