Skip to main content
Topic: Mud flaps for towing (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Mud flaps for towing
Yahoo Message Number: 66764
I am trying to get my LD ready to tow a toad.  One of my concerns is damage to the front of the car from rocks and gravel kicked up by the RV tires.  To top it off, the mud flaps that came on the RV got pulled off when I was backing up.  So, my question is, what kind of protective device do you recommend for my rig?  I have to have some kind of mud flaps to get my RV inspected, but I would rather get something that will protect my toad as well as meet the legal requirements.

Thanks for the help, Allen

Re: Mud flaps for towing
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 66771
I am trying to get my LD ready to tow a toad.  One of my concerns is damage to the front of the car from rocks and gravel kicked up by the RV tires.
When I set up a tow, I bought a skirt that goes clear across the back of the bumper.  I think it's called Rock Shock (or like that) but it's in storage right now.  It's bolted to an angle-iron that is itself bolted to the back of the bumper.  Very satisfactory.
 But it didn't do a lick of good because we got a fine big rock in the CRV windshield when we were driving un-towed.

John

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 66788
"So, my question is, what kind of protective device do you recommend for my rig?"
 I have been towing a CRV for about 4 years. The only thing I used at first was a bra on the leading edge of the hood and fenders. After a while I noticed the hem of the bra was scuffing a line in the hood, so I stopped using it.
I do not have anything else installed and have not had any damage to the CRV while towing. I have had rock damage to the RV from passing trucks, including windshield damage and a couple of very small rock chips to the front of the CRV, done while not being towed.
 We don't hesitate to use unpaved roads, just slow down where needed.
It seems that the risk of rocks being thrown up from the RV to the tow car is minimal, compared to passing vehicles on the road (either direction).
So I have decided that the cost of the devices to protect and the hassle of installing, is more than I want to do, considering the risk involved.
 It depends on what level of comfort one wants. I would think that the mud flaps you need to install for your state requiremens, would be sufficient.

Chris Hunter
Long Beach, CA

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 66790
"So, my question is, what kind of protective device do you recommend for my rig?"

Allen
 Mud flaps and 'Rock Solid' guards may cause more damage than they prevent.
http://tinyurl.com/ka7ej I have seen flaps kick up rocks when the RV hits a dip on a gravel road. There have been many reports in other RV forums about flaps causing rock damage to toads.
 I have been towing a Jeep for two years without damage other than some small chips on the front bumper. The chips may have come from some other source.
I would prefer not to deal with a chip preventor or but if I did, a 'Protect A Tow' would be my choice. I have a friend who uses one. He has had good luck with it and notices that there is less mud and dirt thrown up on the toad when using it. It is simple to install and use.
Any debris thrown up is directed under the toad.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Mud flaps for towing
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 66775
Has anyone used Protect-A-Tow to protect his/her tow vehicle?  I received a recommendation for them, but it was from someone who had not actually used one.

Allen

--

I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
It has removed 1138 spam emails to date.
Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
Try www. SPAMfighter.com/pro for free now!

Re: Protect-A-Tow Photos - to Allen
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 66797
Has anyone used Protect-A-Tow to protect his/her tow vehicle?  I
received a recommendation for them, but it was from someone who had not actually used one.

Allen
Allen, here are photos of the P-A-T installed on our 2002 30' and a '95 Honda Accord.   It works great; much more protective than rock guards or skirts which tend to flip debris on the dingy.  Before I used it I was getting a lot of dings and chips on the front, hood and windshield - mostly from the sand mixture used in the Rocky Mtn states in the winter.

http://tinyurl.com/rbtzh.

Chris Horst
Denver
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: Protect-A-Tow Photos - to Allen
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 66798

Has anyone used Protect-A-Tow to protect his/her tow vehicle?  I received a recommendation for them, but it was from someone who had not actually used one.

Allen

Allen, here are photos of the P-A-T installed on our 2002 30' and a '95 Honda Accord.  It works great; much more protective than rock guards or skirts which tend to flip debris on the dingy.  Before I used it I was getting a lot of dings and chips on the front, hood and windshield - mostly from the sand mixture used in the Rocky Mtn states in the winter.

http://tinyurl.com/rbtzh.

Chris Horst
Denver

If you can't get the tinyurl to open, go to: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/LD_Enhancements/  then go to the photos section and find Protect-A-Tow.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Mud flaps for towing
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 66850
I want to thank those people who took the time to respond to my question on Protect-A-Tow.  Those who have one seem to feel that it makes a difference.

Allen