Skip to main content
Topic: I-90 elevations (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
I-90 elevations
Yahoo Message Number: 66723
I'd like to travel from Sheridan, WY to Seattle on I-90.  My research indicates that the interstate rarely goes above 5000 feet elevation.
I checked both the passes and the towns en route.  Does anyone know if this is accurate?  Due to health issues, I cannot be at higher than 5000 feet for very long.  Are there any long stretches of I-90 above 5K?  Any specific areas I should check out more thoroughly?

Many thanks.

Susan, 1979 22'TB, "Smokey"

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] I-90 elevations
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 66725
I'd like to travel from Sheridan, WY to Seattle on I-90.
Susan, I checked my Mountain Directory and found these two.  One over and one that comes close to 5000'

Homestake Pass east of Butte elevation 6375' Lookout Pass at Montana/Idaho state line 4725'
 Lots of other passes and steep descents/ascents associated with river crossings but nothing else is over 4000'

I hope this helps.

Safe Travels,

Dave

2000 RB Albuquerque
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 66734
Dave  wrote:

I'd like to travel from Sheridan, WY to Seattle on I-90.
 Susan, I checked my Mountain Directory and found these two.  One over and one that comes close to 5000'
Thanks, Dave.  That's a HUGE help!  Looks like I can actually visit the PNW if I decide to.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 66739
Em here with a heads up, The one thing that I would add is to check your brakes before leaving - coming West you'll have a least one very long grade to deal with (I think it's coming

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 66749
Em here with a heads up, The one thing that I would add is to check your brakes before leaving - coming West you'll have a least one very long grade to deal with (I think it's coming in to Butte)
Thanks, Em, for a really important heads up.  Before I leave Sheridan I'll make sure they're checked out by a good mechanic.  Rear ones are new, but won't be by the time I even get to Sheridan so I'll definitely follow your advice.